Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:42 am
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/141104-easy-last-minute-voter-guide.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 08:52 am
If you don't vote, you'll make this puppy sad...

http://www.thegoddessblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/cute-sad-puppy-face.jpg

Don't make the puppy sad, if you haven't already, get out there and vote today.

You won't be sorry.
revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Figures. I guess happy days are here for them, hearings and hearings and more hearings. First up, impeachment. For what? Who knows, who cares, make something up.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:36 am
@ossobuco,
Sounds interesting. Is it a history or a novel with a lot of history in it? Guess I'll check it out.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:39 am
@revelette2,
It's a novel with some contemporary history (of sorts, in that the characters are fictional).
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:51 am
Big election in my now politically important state of Colorado. Gov, Senator and a few other items.

GMO labeling
Open Union negotiations with school boards
Gambling at a horse track
Personhood amendment

revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:52 pm
@Baldimo,
Let me guess, for you, no on the first, yes on the rest? Me, if I lived there and thank goodness I don't, it would be yes on the first, no on the second, yes on third and no on the last. (Used to live near Pikes Peaks when I was around four, I vaguely remember the mountain..)

I personally don't approve of abortion unless the health of either mother or child is at stake, but I think it should be a personal choice. I think gambling should be a personal choice as well although I don't approve it for myself, the second is too complicated for me to get into, and the first, we should know what is in our food.

Luckily, we didn't have any questions this year, was in and out of there in a matter of minutes as I voted very early, straight democrat.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Okay, that puppy did it! I went out and voted. Smile

No lines at all when I was there, but there was a steady stream of people going in and out of the polling place. One of the inspectors told me they had been very busy earlier in the day, and expected to get busy again in late afternoon, after children came home from school, and people began coming home from work.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:44 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Okay, that puppy did it! I went out and voted. Smile

No lines at all when I was there, but there was a steady stream of people going in and out of the polling place. One of the inspectors told me they had been very busy earlier in the day, and expected to get busy again in late afternoon, after children came home from school, and people began coming home from work.

Good move, Firefly. Kudos to Bobsal...and the puppy.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:47 pm
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10628165_808472559216133_6469398959970982043_n.png?oh=a18f0c2646202d7aa07fb3daec32741b&oe=54F29020
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 06:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yet, another reason why the politics in this counry is broken.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 07:05 pm
35% of the vote counted and the R is winning in Virginia? ,..apparently the exit polls dont indicate that this is a fluke because no one is calling the race. This is looking like it is going to be a very bad night for the D's, even worse than widely predicted.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
In Pa, we got rid of our gas company spokesman /governor. Its an example of how the electorate was watching and keeping track of performance.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:52 pm
@farmerman,
It looks like we defeated the teacher union demand that we spend another $5 billion on education (mostly for more teachers natch), through 2020. The fact that yes got more than 15% is disquieting, sanity only won by a few thousand votes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:17 am
On the national scale, I needn't point out how disappointed I was yesterday. On the local scale, I knew the day the people were nominated how it would be.

Nationally, the Republicans will be much more prominent when the failure of government is noted by voters. Which should lead to a Democrat landslide in 2016. If it turns out the opposite occurs, I will be forced to join CI in no longer participating. The big question for me is, will the government withstand the teabagger onslaught in the next two years?

Locally, it seems that Republicans can do anything they wish and, no matter the consequences, the voters want more.
revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, speaking for my particular state, Grimes had a tough hill to climb overcoming such a red state once the money from republican big wigs started coming in.

It is still disappointing, I only hope nothing too bad happens for the next two years. As long Obama is President at least, he can still veto.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 09:45 am
@revelette2,
Cyclicity of politics in USA is amazing and can be counted upon to deliver.
US is the only economy to have recovered relatively quickly yet the president is "Blamed" for its lagging. If we would have imposed what Mitch Mcdonnel had wanted in 2009 (which was an austerity program similar to Germany), wed still be mired in negative growth and wouldn't have turnd the corner.

YET, the geniuses who elected the GOP in, have used an Obama "plebiscite" to vote against their own best interests.

Oh well, in 2016, theres an equivalent Senate election along with the presidency.

So is the reason that youre considering not voting, the fact that Texas is bright red and nothing seem to be in play?
Up in Pa, the Hipanic vote helped our new Governor win.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 09:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

On the national scale, I needn't point out how disappointed I was yesterday. On the local scale, I knew the day the people were nominated how it would be.

Nationally, the Republicans will be much more prominent when the failure of government is noted by voters. Which should lead to a Democrat landslide in 2016. If it turns out the opposite occurs, I will be forced to join CI in no longer participating. The big question for me is, will the government withstand the teabagger onslaught in the next two years?

Locally, it seems that Republicans can do anything they wish and, no matter the consequences, the voters want more.

Although "not voting" is a legitimate choice...I hope you do not join the movement in that direction, Edgar. We already have enough people not voting in this country...or voting without thinking.

A healthy dose of very conservative Republican dominance may be just what this country needs...to finally wake up the sleep-walkers who help elect the miscreants of the Republican Party.

We'll see...although like you I question (perhaps fear) the ability of our nation to withstand the teabagger onslaught of the next two years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:19 am
@farmerman,
That's what I've been saying all along; it was a useless activity of voting when most people don't know that the US economy stands alone that continues to strengthen. They have tried everything to make this a failed president.

Proven once again that the American voters are clueless.

Mitche McConnell said during his victory speech that the number of issue facing our country is job creation. Give me a break!
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's what I've been saying all along; it was a useless activity of voting when most people don't know that the US economy stands alone that continues to strengthen. They have tried everything to make this a failed president.
I deon't think the President needed much help in that area. He has amply demonstrated an unusually high self-regard which appears impenetrable despite his many failures as a leader and manager of the Execttiuve branch of our government. His administration has repeatedly misused its lawful powers to advance its own political interests. He has become a figure of contempt and scorn among the leaders of other nations, including both friends and competitors. Consider the following recent quote from China's Global Times, an organ of the ruling party;
Quote:
"Obama always utters 'Yes, we can,' which led to the high expectations people had for him," the Global Times wrote, referring to Obama's 2008 campaign-trail mantra.
"But he has done an insipid job, offering nearly nothing to his supporters."

"US society has grown tired of his banality,"

cicerone imposter wrote:

Proven once again that the American voters are clueless.
Were they clueless in your view when they elected Obama as President?

cicerone imposter wrote:

Mitche McConnell said during his victory speech that the number of issue facing our country is job creation. Give me a break!
What is your point here? Do you believe job creation is not a problem in our economy?