Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
Its ok Frank. If the republicans gain both chambers the 1 % will make out like bandits so not everyone will suffer. Only the very stupid.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hell CI youve been reading his garbage since 2008 and you have to ask if he has ever taken an economics class? I doubt that he has graduated from grade school.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:02 am
@RABEL222,
Or completed potty training satisfactorily.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
There are several definitions of an analogy. The analogy I used falls under the following.

Quote:
Logic. a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects.

source
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:37 am
http://images.dailykos.com/images/113668/large/Dems_vote.JPG
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
And Bachmann was the front leader, too, in her time.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:40 am
Rand Paul Proposes Unusual Strategy On Voter ID To Help Republicans Court Black People

Quote:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) said on Sunday that he supported voter ID laws — but didn’t think Republicans should make the issue part of their campaign platform because it alienates black voters.

“I’m not really opposed to [voter ID laws]. I am opposed to it as a campaign theme,” Paul told CBS’ Face the Nation host Bob Schieffer. “Republicans, if you want to get African American votes, they think that this is suppression somehow and it’s a terrible thing.”

But contrary to Paul’s analysis, African-Americans are right to think voter ID laws mainly affect their communities. Laws mandating voters to show government identification disproportionately affect people of color and the poor, while reducing voter turnout. Those laws also carry racial tensions and reinforce stereotypes: A recent study showed that white Americans were more likely to support voter ID laws if they were shown pictures of African-Americans voting.

Republican-run states in particular have been lobbying for voting restrictions like reduced early voting times and voter ID laws, citing that such measures reduce voter fraud. But studies have shown that voter fraud is a non-issue: Voter fraud occurs at an infinitesimal rate, with only 13 credible in-person cases logged between 2000 and 2010.

Paul went on to say that restoring voting rights for ex-convicts should be given more attention than ID laws. “I want more people to vote, not less,” he explained. “The number one impediment to voting in our country right now, it’s having a previous conviction. That’s where the real voting problem is.”

But voter ID laws actually cause fewer people to vote. The Government Accountability Office reported that such laws suppress voter turnout. Kansas and Tennessee, which have tightened their voter ID laws, had a decreased voter turnout especially among black voters, according to the GAO report.

Paul expressed having “mixed feelings” about the matter, but emphasized that Republicans harping on voter ID laws on the campaign trail pushes needed votes away instead of steering them toward the polls. “The Republican Party brand sucks and so people don’t want to be a Republican and for 80 years, African-Americans have had nothing to do with Republicans,” Paul said during a campaign stop in Detroit last week.

On Sunday, he reaffirmed that stance, saying “Republicans have to get beyond this perception that they don’t want African-Americans to vote. I don’t think it’s true. I’m not saying it’s true. But by being for all of these things, it reinforces a stereotype that we need to break down.”

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:44 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
darkest side of the seamy underbelly of politics.

more of "the carnival freak sideshow side of politics."

He's more of a side note than a criminal.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Abbott's been a jackass on the political scene here years longer than Cruz has. They're more associates out of the same mold.

My wife, an official in the county Republican Women's organization will not vote for Wendy (I will), but she will not be voting for Abbott, either.

We ought to offer a "non of the above" option on ballots, with a re-election if "none of the above" wins.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:53 am
@revelette2,
Insist on a provisional vote!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:23 am
@revelette2,
No wonder you fail to understand most of what I post; you believe when I'm talking about politics, it's actually about the condition of our home! LOL

You need to get a refund on your diploma. Mr. Green
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:26 am
@revelette2,
I would imagine that's not the best source, when one uses an analogy, one implies something is similar to something else.
revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:40 am
@izzythepush,
Let it go, it is not even your arguement and not important to the thread.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:42 am
@revelette2,
Your source contains an incredibly basic mistake, all of which casts doubt on its reliability.
revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:53 am
@izzythepush,
Look, izzypush, there are several definitions, the definition I used was/is correct.

When you sit in a house and you see it is messy, you complain about it being messy, yet you do nothing about it, then you are part of the problem of the messy house.

The same is true for those who complain about the state of Government, they see how bad it is, they complain how bad it is, yet they do not vote for people who will change it.

In both circumstances there is a situation in which a person see a problem, complains about the problem, yet does nothing to try and change the problem. It is the logic of both situations which are similar.

analogy

noun, plural analogies.

a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based:
"the analogy between the heart and a pump."

similarity or comparability:
"I see no analogy between your problem and mine."

Biology. an analogous relationship.

Linguistics. a.the process by which words or phrases are created or re-formed according to existing patterns in the language, as when shoon was re-formed as shoes, when -ize is added to nouns like winter to form verbs, or when a child says foots for feet.
b.a form resulting from such a process.

Logic. a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects

Understand now? If you do not or still disagree, fine, I am moving on.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:11 pm
@revelette2,
Wrong! The condition of a home is not determined by a committee.
The condition of housekeeping in the home is left to my wife; she hires a housekeeper. I do the maintenance around the house or hire outside; my choice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I voted Democrat and Green. Where Republicans ran unopposed I left it blank.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:51 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
When you sit in a house and you see it is messy, you complain about it being messy, yet you do nothing about it, then you are part of the problem of the messy house.

Not if it's not my bloody house.

Someone has to make an analogy, they don't just appear out of thin air. Therefore someone implies before any inference can be made.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it was a good analogy, but as you've asked, I don't think it's the best. Government is very complicated with lots of different functions, a household is incredibly simple by comparison. Most households aren't much bigger than six people. Maybe a school or a ship might work better.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Although schools and ships have government oversight....how does those relate to politics?