Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What's even more puzzling is how they attract members. By any measure of logic, they should be extinct.
revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps when all the second generation immigrants grow up, it will be. One can always hope anyway.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

[
American conservatism is fast becoming the enemy of all humanity, cj.

I realize you cannot see that...and surely you think that those of us who feel that way are out of line...

...but American conservatism is becoming the enemy of all humanity...and of all sound reasoning.

I'm constantly impressed by the certainty of small-minded progressives that they (alone) can speak with certainty for all mankind and as well can preempt all sound reasoning.

I'm pretty sure of myself (indeed, occasionaly a bit overbearing) and have an unusually broad range of experience in life, but would never express such a claim. There's simply too much I don't know out there. Why do I suspect Frank has an inadequate appreciation for the limits of his knowledge, understanding and experience?

Beats me.

Knowledge: I often talk about the limits of my knowledge. Probably do it more than anyone else in the forum...and do it so often that people actually complain about it.

Understanding: I often talk about the limits of my understanding. Probably do it more than anyone else in the forum...and do it so often that people actually complain about it.

Experience: Well, I do not often talk about my experience...and frankly I sometimes get bored with people like you who talk about their "experience" too much...especially if they consider their "experience" to be of any unusually broad range. Frankly, it makes them sound as though they are into themselves a bit too much.

In any case, despite my limited knowledge and understanding...I stand by what I said about American conservatism.

It sucks...and intelligent people like you, George, should be able to see that it sucks. I hope you eventually do.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's about as strange as wondering why Democrats put so much energy into corrupt elections and voter fraud; creating fictitious "wars on women"; increasing public dependency on government run programs instead of self-initiative and freedom; dividing the country through cynical pandering to various racial and other groups for short-term political advantage; and imagining that the inept narcissist they elected as President will be accepted as a King by the American people and go on forever.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What's even more puzzling is how they attract members. By any measure of logic, they should be extinct.
However, as we all learned yesterday, they are not extinct. Have you considered the possibility that your "logic" is deficient?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know how they attract members; they vote with their party over what they stand for. How can they?

FACT: Republicanism is not the same party it was just four-five decades ago. The changes have been dramatic, but they still call themselves 'republicans.' Even from the time of Lincoln, it's not the same party in any way.

Look at the southern states; they were once all democratic. Most are now republicans. The switch has been dramatic to the extreme.

The republican party is known as the party of the rich, but that's a direct contradiction of the southern states where the poorest in the country now live.

Contrast and contradictions are now the theme of the party.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:39 pm
There's a laugh. Republicans take away the vote from many thousands of honest voters and then blame Democrats. The only people I know of caught voting illegally were a very small number of Republicans.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There's a laugh. Republicans take away the vote from many thousands of honest voters and then blame Democrats. The only people I know of caught voting illegally were a very small number of Republicans.
Clearly you've never been to Chicago or New York.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
It only means/and proves that georgeob1 doesn't even know what the GOP has been doing.

http://www.ibtimes.com/midterm-election-results-2014-did-voter-id-laws-help-republicans-win-senate-majority-1715785
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In the old days, the Democrats were all inclusive. They lost the prejudiced ones in the south to the Republicans and that started a snowball effect, because many southern politicians who had been calling themselves liberals to get elected were actually conservatives. Many Republicans became Democrats when that happened, elsewhere, but the Democrats lost the south almost totally.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There are white Southern Republicans who despise the memory of Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party. They call him a Marxist (truly a ludicrous accusation!) and celebrate his assassination. (I wonder what the party affiliation of members of the KKK is today.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:47 pm
@georgeob1,
But Chicago and New York did not pass laws to stop huge blocks of voters from showing up.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
What crack pipe are you smoking? The Dems controlled the south from the end of WWII until the 90's when the GOP started winning races. You need to recheck your history again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:52 pm
@georgeob1,
From FactCheck.org.
Quote:
How Common Is Fraud?

Election fraud does exist, but hasn’t been shown to be widespread. The New York Times reported in 2007 that a five-year crackdown on such fraud by the Bush administration’s Justice Department had produced 70 convictions at the federal level, including 40 campaign workers or government workers convicted of vote-buying, intimidation or ballot forgery, and 23 cases of multiple voting or voting by ineligible voters. But the Times described these as unconnected incidents and said the Justice Department had turned up no evidence of "any organized effort to skew federal elections."

Bush administration officials have pushed hard to find such evidence, too hard in one case, according to an investigation by the Department of Justice’s internal watchdogs, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR). Their report into the firing of nine United States attorneys concluded that the "real reason" for the firing of New Mexico’s U.S. Attorney David Iglesias was "complaints about Iglesias’s handling of voter fraud and public corruption matters." The complaints included gripes by state Republican Party officials who believed that widespread fraud by Democrats had prevented George Bush from winning the state in the 2000 presidential election. Iglesias launched a task force that worked with the FBI but found that "there was insufficient evidence in any of the cases the Task Force reviewed to support criminal prosecution by the [U.S. Attorney's Office] or state authorities," according to the report of the OIG and OPR. These included cases involving ACORN workers. Republicans charged that Iglesias was showing insufficient rigor in prosecuting the cases.

The only reason the GOP states are implementing voter ID laws is to disenfranchise voters who normally vote for liberal politicians and causes.

IT'S AN OVERKILL OF AN ISSUE WHERE THE PURPOSE TO PREVENT VOTER FRAUD IS IMMATERIAL TO NONE.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Also, where voter fraud does occur and caught, those responsible pay very costly fines.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If they go get ID's there is nothing to worry about. They have 2 years until the next big election. Most states offer free ID's for those who have low income. There shouldn't be an excuse 2 years from now as to why someone can't vote because they don't have ID. If they don't get an ID in the next 2 years, then that is their own fault.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Why would they need voter ID when voter fraud is immaterial to none?
If they're worried about voter fraud, make it very expensive; like 25 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

Do you need a walker picture ID to use the sidewalks?
Baldimo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Stop making excuses CI. You know as well as I do that having an ID only helps people. It doesn't do harm to have one so why encourage people not to have one? 2 years CI. People have 2 years before the next election. There should be no reason why someone can't get an ID in 2 years. If they can't get one in 2 years, then they only have themselves to blame.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:08 pm
@Baldimo,
What part am I missing?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:09 pm
@Baldimo,
It doesn't help people; it only adds to an unnecessary government process - that the GOP is so much against; government intrusion.

How does another layer of picture ID help anyone?

I'm sure you don't see these conflicts.