All-in-one Desktop

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 10:42 am
All-in-one
Quote:
they are not as compatible, when it can do fewer things it will break down less often).

That makes PCs sound like all the kicky little kitchen gadgets that do a whole mess of things, but break down if you look at them cross-eyed, and the comparison is apt, BUT PCs are more versatile, and I wouldn't go for a Mac, myself, because of exactly that limitation. Even if I didn't want a particular bit of software, I like to think that I could have it if I did. I wouldn't like to feel shut out of an option because it isn't made to go with my computer.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 10:44 am
All-in-one
What did I do - or not do - that my quote came out looking funny? Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 10:56 am
I think a Frankenstein is a bunch of parts from various companies all put together to meet specifications.

The quote thing is that ya forgot to do the unquote -- [/QUOTE]

Point taken about PC versatility. E.G.'s a scientist slash computer geek (a certain kind of computer geek, a scientist computer geek who has nothing to do with PCs if he can help it) and the mac works perfectly for what he does, but I can see that I'd prefer a PC. Especially since I plan to be doing some work that involves being on the computer a lot, sending and receiving files, etc.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:22 am
There's a computer outlet/repair store near my house which has done all the recent repair on my laptop. They will put together a "Frankenstein" whcih is taylored to your use but it's a great deal more expensive and Dell offers a diverse selection of both desktops and laptops. It's like Craven pointed out -- if you're not into gaming you don't need the highest speed processor and best video card. I can watch movies with a basic video card in my laptop although it does tend to leave out frames on pans and high action scenes (it's not as smooth as my DVD player). The only games I can play are the slower ones like the Sierra city building products (Emperor and Caesar III).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:26 am
Overstock.com recently offerned a Sony VAIO with the computer in a base of a LCD flatscreen and a keyboard with a Pentium III and 20 Gigabyte harddrive at around $1,000.00. If you shop around on the Internet there are thousands of great deals. Actually, a "Frankenstein" is also like the Sony VAIO where all the parts come from other manufacturers and Sony only manufactures the housing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:27 am
I'm not into gaming per se but one thing I did think of late is that the *sozlet* really enjoys playing games, which are kiddie games and so I discounted them but can be pretty complex themselves. ("Blue's Clues" and such.)

The computer that Craven laid out before from Dell with Pentium 4 (I don't know how much more expensive that would be) would be about perfect, I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:28 am
Thanks a lot for the heads-up on Overstock.com, Wiz. Appreciate it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:37 am
The Pentium IV adds about $200. to the price.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:54 am
Soz,

Sounds like you're having some fun getting to look at new machines...

I saw this case online yesterday and thought you might be interested because of its small footprint (7.9"(H) x 10.6"(W) x 13.2"(D)):

ANTEC ARIA mATX MINI PC CASE 300W PFC W/ 8-IN-1 FLASH CARD READER

Have fun,

-Jer-
0 Replies