All-in-one Desktop

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:20 pm
BTW, look into the RAM on teh above specs. 128 is too low, 256 is the minimum and 512 is comfy. 1 GB is probably overkill for your needs).

Thing is, RAM is cheap and makes a big difference. I would at least go with 256 making the above $50 more expensive).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:21 pm
Wow!

Isn't Celeron supposed to be extremely sucky?

Everything else looks poifect.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:21 pm
(At least when playing with them at a showroom, I found the Celeron much slower).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:22 pm
kickycan wrote:
Craven, I have a cousin who told me that with the new Mac OS, there is now a lot more software that is compatible. He said that since the new OS is based on Linux or Unix (I can't remember which one) there is a lot more compatibility than before.

Both Linux and Unix are not too compatible.

The most die-hard Linux fans out there, people who are "fathers" of linux, admit to having a windows PC for specific applications (e.g. from Intuit) that are not released for Linux.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:22 pm
Fast fast fast!

Yeah, E.G. has mentioned he can get RAM cheap. I think that's the least of our worries.

We have 256 now, I think that's the minimum, yeah. More would be good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:23 pm
Craven's right -- you need at least 700 Mhz and 192 Ram to run Windows XP efficiently.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:23 pm
Macs are better for people non-techies and people who just want the damn thing to work. Of course, I am biased, but so what. You should at least go to an Apple store and check them out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:25 pm
Celerons are not that bad, if you were a gamer I'd avoid them but remember that of all teh things you said you want to do none use the CPU much (with the exception of photo editing).

For net stuff and documents a slower processor would work just fine, and the photo editing you'd be doing probably would not be that intense.

The other caveat is that the video card is onboard. This makes a big difference for graphics (e.g. games, movies etc).

But the celeron itself is fine, it's true that it's a lower end processor on Intel's line but you'd be hard pressed to have anyone name a legitimate downside for you because you aren't pushing any tech boundaries and such. Unless you want a gamer machine you'll be fine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Fast fast fast!

Yeah, E.G. has mentioned he can get RAM cheap. I think that's the least of our worries.

We have 256 now, I think that's the minimum, yeah. More would be good.

I recommend getting the RAM elsewhere because I think you can get it cheaper.

But make sure to verify the RAM compatibility etc before buying.

Oh, and remember that you can get a much much better deal with a Frankenstein on ebay or from some sites that make them. I can point you to some if you want.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:28 pm
I agree -- if you're not playing games, watching movies etc., a Celeron may be just fine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:30 pm
kickycan wrote:
Macs are better for people non-techies and people who just want the damn thing to work.

Mac Viruses are coming...

There have been a few of em and a few Mac exploits this year.

But yeah, they work better (mainly because they are not as compatible, when it can do fewer things it will break down less often).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:31 pm
Okay, I give up. Get a PC. Have a ball with it. Just don't come crying to me when you are on here asking about how to get rid of a virus or that strange cryptic error message that you keep getting on startup.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:35 pm
Laughing

This has all been enormously useful, thanks so much to everyone.

E.G. is very much in agreement with Kicky about Macs as a general concept, but has also already been helped by Craven before and appreciates his advice (as I do.)

Gonna keep following these links (the Dell flat screen monitor is much groovier than I expected) and mull a bit. Then may well be coming back to ask for more specifics.

This is all really encouraging, though! Good stuff out there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 04:39 pm
You'll find a great deal less eye strain with the LCD flat monitor.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 06:52 pm
When did I help E.G.?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:22 pm
Some other computer flap. I asked something on his behalf here, then he read the thread. He has an account and everything but makes me do his dirty work. Men.

This one was my idea. He just read the whole thing and threw up his hands and said "I have no idea." That's after "Mac, Mac, and nothing but a Mac", though, so we'll see.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:30 pm
Here's an examle from this last week of what I was talking about earlier:

http://news.com.com/Mac+OS+fix+fails+to+plug+security+hole/2100-1002_3-5220285.html?tag=nl

Macs are increasingly being threatened and Mac patches are not at the high level that Windows patches are yet.

The whole security thing is usually a perception entirely based on periodicity but Mac OS security is nothing to tout:

http://news.com.com/Apple+criticized+for+security+advisories/2100-7355_3-5205912.html?tag=nl
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:34 pm
Thanks, that's good to know.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:48 am
If you're really concerned about security even with a firewall and virus scan program, I would just refrain from downloading to Outlook Express. I can get my mail online at RoadRunner (who also does a virus scan of the mail) but I do use IncrediMail because of business communication.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 10:34 am
All-in-one
What is a Frankenstein? Is it a brand, or is it a very individualized computer put together from various makes of components?
0 Replies