Can't delete an email document

Charli

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:38 pm
Can't Delete an Email Document

This"sticky" email - 56KB - is from an Excite.com partner. The document is in the inbox, which means it is on the hard drive. It's possible to delete 10KB of it and then the fill meter stops, even when left in the delete mode for several hours. I've tried this both on-line and off-line. I've logged off and on many times, restarting the computer. Also, I've unchecked some of the likely filters on the Netscape 6.2 browser. All to no avail. Windows XP Home Edition is the OS.

A call to my ISP rendered no helpful suggestions. The "techie" had never heard of this problem. I recommended A2K for excellent assistance with computer questions and gave him the URL.

This is the first time ever that this has happened with our equipment here, since going on the Internet in 1995.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - short of using a sledge hammer. :-) Thank you! - Charli
[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,726 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:15 pm
Charli, There are several computer experts on A2K. Mongo, Craven, timberlanko, and several others. My simplistic solution is a SYSTEM RESTORE, but the "experts" may disagree with this cure. Wink Good luck.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:25 pm
Thanks, Cicerone Imposter!
Thanks, cicerone imposter!

That's a move I didn't think of - the system restore. What could it hurt! I don't have any new downloads that it would wipe out - At least to a few days back before the "problem" occurred. I'll let you know if that works. And doing what else one of the other guru's comes up with.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 05:25 am
System Restore . . .
The "System Restore" didn't help, sorry to say. I executed the program to the day before the offending email was received. I'll push it back a few days earlier. Right now, Transportation is waiting to go to the Mall. I'll get back to you on this. Smile -- Charli
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 01:40 pm
System restore restores registry changes (from program installations for e.g.) and will usually not make a difference for emails and documents.

A few questions:

1) What email reader do you use?

2) I suspect it is one from a browser or an ISP, is that correct? Let me know if you use a solution bundled with an ISP or somesuch.

3) How have you determined that it is on your harddrive?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:03 pm
Thanks, Craven!
Thanks, Craven for your reply!

Yes, I'm using Netscape as my email reader. But I don't understand what you mean by "a solution bundled with an ISP." If so, why is this the one and only email ever - among literally thousands - that cannot be deleted? Could the sender have inserted a code that would make this so? Should this be true, can I get rid of the code AND the email?

I determined that the email is in my hard drive because once the emails are accepted from the ISP, they can be read off-line. Sometimes, one has to go on-line to see any attachments, though not always. It depends on what they are.

Also, the "techie" at the ISP (Verizon/Bellatlantic) told me that the email was already in my hard drive. And, therefore, there was no way for him to reach it to try to assess the situation.

I did check some of Netscape's support documents. One of them mentioned the filters blocking the email from being moved. The email concerns buying stock and stock offerings. So, I unchecked just the filters I thought might be the culprits. I didn't uncheck all of the many expletives, "dirty" words, etc. Guess I could uncheck absolutely every single one . . . However, why is this lone email hanging up and no others?

Thanks again. -- Charli
0 Replies

lizzylou

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:29 pm
Interestingly enough I am having the same problem on my Mac. I have n email in my delete folder that simply will not go away. It's driving my bonkers.
0 Replies

lizzylou

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:30 pm
Oops, I mean driving me bonkers!
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 04:08 am
Try to boot your PC with Safe Mode With Networking from Advanced Boot Options and try to delete your document.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:32 pm
Thanks, Cyanure!
Thanks, Cyanure. I'll try that tomorrow when I'm more awake than right now. I did uncheck ALL of the Netscape filters, but it didn't help. I didn't try disabling the Firewall. I probably could try that off line. I will try the safe mode tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works.

I emailed Excite.com; however, I haven't received a reply.

lizzylou, where did the email originate that is giving you a problem? By any chance is it from an Excite.com "associate"?
0 Replies

lizzylou

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:57 am
Charli wrote:
Thanks, Cyanure. I'll try that tomorrow when I'm more awake than right now. I did uncheck ALL of the Netscape filters, but it didn't help. I didn't try disabling the Firewall. I probably could try that off line. I will try the safe mode tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works.

I emailed Excite.com; however, I haven't received a reply.

lizzylou, where did the email originate that is giving you a problem? By any chance is it from an Excite.com "associate"?
Thank you both for your replies. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am a Mac user running OS9. I don't know how do determine the originator of the email because it only shows up in my deleted folder. When I open the folder there is a blank line at the top of the list window, the folder heading says there is 1 file in the folder and when I place more emails in the folder to be deleted, the blank space continues to present it'self, sometimes at the top, sometimes two lines down.
Strange, huh?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:58 pm
Haven't had a chance yet . . .
Sorry to say, I haven't had a chance yet to try cyanure's suggestion. Hopefully, before the weekend . . . Each night when I check the email, that darn "letter" is staring me in the face!

lizzylou - Since I have almost zero knowledge of Macs, I can't offer any helpful ideas to get rid of the "ghost file" taking up space in your deleted folder. Maybe someone will come along here who does have some Mac experience. Is there a "MAC Forum" here on A2K? If not, it sounds like it might be a good idea to have one. Yes? No?

Good luck in finding the solution! -- Charli :-)
[/color]

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Wilbur

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:04 pm
I am having the same problem. First time this has happened in 8 yr. I am running a Compaq with windows XP. Strange thing is that all emails don't do this. Looks like all ad's wont delete but others will. We have tried everything we can think of but no deleting these e-mail's. I had also though about a code being used to keep from deleting them.. I am at my ropes end. Any help would a god sent.

Wilbur
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
The "finale" . . .
The "offending email" has now disappeared . . . as well as EVERY EMAIL in the Inbox, ALL of the email Folders (there were dozens!), the Sent Box (more than 300 emails - even tho' I work on emptying it CONSTANTLY!). Also, ALL of the Bookmarks on my Home Page. Dozens and dozens and dozens!!!! The mail settings were completely demolished. The Browser was "hijacked"?

Well, it's back to the drawingboard. I can now send and receive email. Working on the rest of it. So much for "technology.' ALL of the Virus software, Firewall, Spy Bot, Adware, Spam Pal, etc., etc., are "up to" the SECOND. So much for that!!!

Thanks to everyone who has answered here. "Onward and upward. And, don't look back; something might be gaining on ya!"
Smile Smile Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies