Ebola In Dallas.

Alqaholic

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think we need to make sneezing illegal on planes.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:30 pm
@mark noble,
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html

CDC: US health worker with Ebola, should not have flown on commercial jet.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you've ever used any of the bathrooms in JFK, you'll know what you'll find on and near the toilets. I remember one toilet that was apparently broken and was covered with a big sheet of plastic ( the ladies room). Guess what the women did, who needed a toilet that was covered with plastic.

They ignored the plastic and piled their urine and feces straight onto the plastic.

Now think about where those shoes on the feet of those "ladies" traveled to, upon their exiting the bathroom....YIKES>>>
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:48 pm
@mark noble,
I predict (fairly confidently) zero additional cases from this 3rd patient, in spite of the fact that he took an airplane trip after contracting ebola.

I make this prediction to point out that your hype is unwarranted.

And.. I ask you to make a similar prediction. If you think this was such a catastrophe, then tell me-- how many people do you think he infected?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:51 pm
@Miller,
Wow, one incident while millions fly every hour of every day, and most use the toilets at airports and in the plane. What are the statistical probability?

One in a trillion? Hell, you might win the lottery! LOL
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
hmmm. I may have to revise my view, especially since this is like how the mousetraps and ping pong ball experiment is initiated. First one, then two, then 4, then...
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:07 pm
@farmerman,
It is not much of an experiment, the medical experts already know the result. And it is one then one then one (not one then two then four).

People are greatly exaggerating the risk (at least according the medical science)..
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:33 pm
@maxdancona,
True; most people are now aware of how ebola is transmitted, and those caring patients 'now' know how to protect themselves. They need to follow protocol very closely with anything that can be transmitted through physical contact (including airborne diseases).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:18 pm
Surprised you aren't all dead yet. Kudos!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
I've seen it used to demonstrate how nuclear fission works.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 05:11 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

And it is one then one then one (not one then two then four).

Nope. It's 1, then 2, then 4 -- although we don't know whether the "4" is accurate yet.

It was one case leading to two cases,
not one case leading to one case leading leading to one case.
One nurse did not infect the other; Duncan infected both of them. 1 -> 2.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 05:19 pm
@Kolyo,
What you say is factually true. It's also true that in Liberia, the spread of ebola is exponentially growing and over 70% are dying.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 09:32 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Nope. It's 1, then 2, then 4 -- although we don't know whether the "4" is accurate yet.

Let me guess... you are not in a science or engineering profession.
mark noble

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 05:42 am
@Miller,
No idea - Time will tell.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 05:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ebola spreads via heavy droplets (through the air) (spitting, sneezing, coughing etc, produce heavy-droplets. It does not (allegedly) carry- on the air. That allows non-proximity advantages and reduces its potency as a contagion.
Let me explain - In a close-proximity environment (Cinema, plane, public transport, office, classroom, etc) ONE sneeze/cough can infect EVERYONE in that area.
Also - The virus, on surfaces (away from UV-rays) can reside actively for 4+ hours.
Everyone entering (Classroom) during those 4+ hours - Is now potentially infected.
NOT saying it WILL. Just that it CAN.
mark noble

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 06:01 am
@maxdancona,
I predict 'a barnful of bucks headed the way of investors in zmapp and Tekmira'.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 06:05 am
@maxdancona,
Kolyo's profession is irrelevant. He/She, unlike you, can certainly apply the mathematical function we call 'counting' correctly though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 12:26 pm
@mark noble,
Where did you get that information? Please provide a reliable source.

How do you know those infected RN's were infected by "sneezing, spitting, coughing etc?" What's the chance of that happening? Give me some credible numbers that you can back up with facts/evidence.

Your spreading fears without the ability to prove it is only fear mongering.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,

From CNN.
Quote:
"For example, the H5N1 avian influenza virus... has probably circulated through many billions of birds for at least two decades. Its mode of transmission remains basically unchanged. Speculation that Ebola virus disease might mutate into a form that could easily spread among humans through the air is just that: speculation, unsubstantiated by any evidence."
0 Replies

Alqaholic

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 03:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What's the chance of that happening? Give me some credible numbers that you can back up with facts/evidence.

I'm not speaking for Mark, but I thought I should let you know about this.