Ebola In Dallas.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:21 am
@ehBeth,
Please be specific Beth.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
News coverage of Ebola has been more extensive for many months in other countries/continents. What I have been hearing/reading about transmission rates has not been encouraging. Infection rates appear to still be escalating, not stabilizing, let alone diminishing.

I think there is still an opportunity to stabilize the growth of the disease, and then to hopefully decrease it. I'm not feeling like it's a catastrophic or potentially catastrophic situation, just feeling discouraged that this wasn't taken more seriously 12 - 18 months ago.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 11:01 am
What scares me even more is the fact that the hospital released this man after he had symptoms and stated he was in Libya. I would have expected that emergency personnel in a hospital would be more knowledgeable about the disease and potential risk. Not to mention to help the poor guy.
mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Tom Duncan's (victim) soiled sheets, bed linen, towels etc have still to be removed from the, 300 resident, apartment complex he and his partner lived at, due to no waste-managment company being prepared to deal with such (apparently now being rectified) - The other residents are NOT being quarantined, in fact - One, a night worker, only discovered why the police were there, after asking a child.
Yeah - Your public health system works just fine.
mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
"liberia", link - Libya is ebov-free atm.
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 03:56 pm
@mark noble,
sorry damn that spell check .... can you believe that it changed to this via spell check?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:19 pm
@mark noble,
I bet there will be zero additional cases or maybe one (even after the hospital's pretty big mistake). There is no significant risk of an outbreak in the US from this incident.

The public health system is working just fine. You are just being ridiculous.
mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:22 pm
@Linkat,
lol, it doesn't matter to me - For anyone reading this thread from Libya, or having family there - Could be of concern:)
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 04:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Firstly - I don't gamble.
Secondly - If I did, it wouldn't be in relation to someone's suffering or potential crisis.
Best case scenario - This incident is over, noone else affected - valuable lessons learned - Virus vanishes - happy days!
Worst case Scenario - None of the above.

Is that 'drama-free' better?
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 05:14 pm
@maxdancona,
I am with team Maxdancona.

Seriously guys this hype for an apocaliptic future to occur is far from reality. The same happened wit the swine flu years ago. When it started here in Mexico the first case happened coincidentally with a vist that Obama made to former president Calderon. There was such a hype in media in tweeter and in facebook about conspiracy theories that crossed the border of the ridicule.

You are facing the same crap there on the US. Seriously just relax.

I had heard a lot of complaint about the death rate of the virus. It is highly modified by a very simple factor (and yet the most powerfull factor in epidemiology) HYGIENE. Even in the most poorly medical covered areas in the US are far better equiped that any hospital in Liberia.

The case of Mr Duncan is particualar because he had close contact with a patient in Liberia. He was in a cab with a girl that was having seizures. Do you now how moch a patient spits during a seizure? Many of them vomit and void also. SO he was in very close contact inside a metal box no more that 2 cubic meters of volume with a patient having seizures spitting probably vomiting and bleeding. He should had been isolated but since that countries medical systemis rudimentary he managed to take a plane and fly to America.

There won´t be an apocaliptic epidemy like seen in movies or in comics. We will all be here by Christmas and and next years christmas also.

Wash your hands frequently

Avoid eating Fruit bats

Avoid fondling your diseased peers and family members

Avoid killing medical personel
neologist

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 06:26 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:
. . . Avoid killing medical personel
I promise.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 06:39 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Firstly - I don't gamble.
Secondly - If I did, it wouldn't be in relation to someone's suffering or potential crisis.
Best case scenario - This incident is over, noone else affected - valuable lessons learned - Virus vanishes - happy days!
Worst case Scenario - None of the above.

Is that 'drama-free' better?

What do you mean you don't gamble?

More than 30,000 people will die of automobile accidents in the US this year. About 3,500 will drown. About 35 people will be killed by pet dogs. And about 10 people will be killed by champagne corks.

Yes, in the US more people this year will be killed by champagne corks than by Ebola.

Do you drive? Do you swim? Do you or your neighbors have a pet dog? Do you drink Champagne? All of these things are far more risky to you than the Ebola virus.

For you to say you don't want to gamble with the Ebola virus in the same day that you likely risked your life in an automobile is absolutely laughable.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 09:26 am
I would like to see some evidence of the panic infecting the great unwashed here in the Dallas area. Some parent's kept there kids home from school? OMG, the wheels are coming off.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 10:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
fruit bat fricassee bein served up downtown. MMMMMMMMMMMM
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:22 pm
mmm, bushmeat...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 01:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I would like to see some evidence of the panic infecting the great unwashed here in the Dallas area. Some parent's kept there kids home from school? OMG, the wheels are coming off.

Well, there's this thread that, I believe, originated in the Dallas area that exhibits a certain amount of paranoia.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 02:35 pm
@InfraBlue,
Frankly, you're nuts.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Allow me to rephrase - After your previous post-opening - "I bet that"
I don't "Bet" - Not "Gamble".
Hope that clarifies my stance and saves you blurting out irrelevant mortality stats that have nothing to do with my initial question.

I only enquired how the US media was presenting this to the public.
I doubt the virus has the ability to reach 'pandemic-stage' outside third-world areas, but am interested in how it spreads psychologically , and how that spread is encouraged/discouraged by those who control the media.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:15 am
@maxdancona,
My latest forecast appears to be 'spot-on'.
You most certainly don't want anymore.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:56 am
@mark noble,
What was your latest forecast Mark? That one single additional person would be infected from this case? I thought that was my prediction... aren't you predicting some run-away catastrophe?

This is an very unfortunate accident, but I don't see any reason to panic. If you ignore the fact that out of 100 contacts only one single (and tragic) medical accident was infected... and obsess about that one case to support your fears...

How do you sleep at night?