100 AMP BREAKER TROUBLESHOOT HELP

swins

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:12 pm
I am a mechanical engineer. I have a 200 amp service in my home. I have a detached garage that has a 100 amp service fed underground from my panel inside house approx. 15' away. I just recently set up a kiln in the loft of the garage for my daughter who is starting a pottery business. I wired the kiln myself and had the building inspector inspect all my work and he signed off everything as very good. I performed a test fire of the kiln with two exhaust fans going at same time. This took 7.5 hours and I had no problems. My daughter produced pieces of pottery and we loaded kiln to do bisque firing and after 2.5 hours, 100 amp breaker in house that feeds garage tripped. The breaker felt warm (not hot just warm), the wires coming in from garage were cool to touch. I waited approx. 15 min for breaker to cool even though it was not that hot, i reset breaker and after another 2.5 hours it tripped again. At this point I shut kiln down and have to research problem. The kiln draws 70 amps and fans about 5 amps. The kiln is wired as such. Kiln is direct wired to 100 amp safety switch with 90 amp fuses, safety switch is wired with #2 wire as recommended by manufacturer for about a 15' run in pvc conduit to electrical panel in garage to a 100 amp breaker. I must mention that the 100 amp breaker in the house panel is 31 years old. It use to be the main breaker in main panel to house before I upgraded my service to 200 amp. Question: Is the problem with the breaker? As I stated before service wires coming in from garage were cool to touch, breaker was warm. Tonight I am bringing home amp meter to check exactly what the amperage draw is coming in from garage. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:15 pm
@swins,
Is there anything else on that circuit which automatically switches on from time to time?

Anything else at all that would cause a momentary surge (pull), just enough to trip?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:20 pm
@swins,
It sounds like one of your loads is developing a short as it heats up. Maybe a heating element in the kiln. Checking with an amp meter sounds like a good idea.
0 Replies

Woodworker766

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:29 am
@swins,
You have a kiln + fans drawing 75 amps. Plus whatever else is running off of the garage system (lights, etc...). It is possible that you reached the magic 100 amp tipping point. That 70 amp draw for the kiln may be it's "normal" operating current. It might surge a little higher at times.

The 100 Amp breaker in your garage sub-panel is ONLY for your kiln. The 100 breaker in your main panel is for everything in your garage. So what else is running in your garage? Lights? Garage door opener? Appliances? Radio? Pottery wheel?

Also. check your breakers. You may find the kiln breaker in the sub-panel in the garage is a delayed-action breaker and the one in the main panel in the house isn't.
0 Replies