Did You Ever Visit A Museum Not Worth The Entrance Fee?

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 12:00 am
Way to go!

Joe
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:24 am
art
Yes, Colorific; it IS so silly--post modern anti-art. Thanks for the confirmation.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:41 pm
Realize; I look at a lot of conceptual Post-modern stuff...more than my share...with a very open mind; but in galleries that are free and open to the public. What irritated me in the afore-mentioned instance was the sheer arrogance that some buffoon, probably with a PhD and a few friends in high positions, decides that this is the stuff we should all pay to see because it is SOOO SUPERIOR in it's conceptual nature. And yet I stared out the window about 15 minutes saying to myself, as a professional artist; I disagree; it isn't superior, And I know as I have seen A REAL LOT of this stuff: from the rusted iron on the floors, the chain-link fences, piles of sand, piles of marbles, hungry naked people in a tent, diapers on a cloths line; man swimming laps in a half-empty pool; photos of dead babies; rows of barbecue grills; rows of colored paper squares; lots of pins in a pile; big pieces of clear plexiglass; rows of nails in plywood; cans, tissue paper on tree trunks; empty bags of Doritos on grey carpet with ketchup; and on and on.
What I found that all this stuff has in common, now I am being beligerant here; aside from what ever concept gives birth to this art; is that it all seems to lack the persistence and discipline the rest of us plastic artists subject ourselves too...I mean ardent years of hard work and CRAFT CRAFT CRAAAFFFFTTT!
Gee I think I'll park my car conceptually in front of my house and ask the sophistcate curator at MOCA for a grant.
Thus my own humble answer to the question " Damn right I have seen a museum not worth the price"
HAVE A GREAT DAAAYYY!
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 10:53 pm
Not Worth the Admission
Not worth the admission!
The city to where I had relocated did not have a decent musuem. Several years of charity balls, donations of 'art', good~hearted art enthusiasts donating, somewhat daunting sums of money, and with much fanfare, A Museum Opened.

An art loving friend, a New Yorker, convinced me to make the maiden voyage. We walked around speachless.

It reminded more of temples of worship to those who donated their 'collections' {Cast-offs, I hope}

We parted without much to say to one another. I actually went home and cried! Real tears! My friend was appalled.

No doubt, I was in shock, or I WOULD have asked for a refund, with 'combat' pay for looking at such stuff....think of another 4-letter word.

A week later, collected, we had contest of "Can You Top This" what was the most awful aspect, and could find humour in our navette.

Years have passed, and it is improving. Perhaps by 2088........

One of my favorite museums, was free. WAS.
The Rodin. {US Version}
The originals, still in France.
These scluptures were poured from the same mold as the originals.

Thank goodness it was free when I was a student. So many contented hours spent there. So much learned from his sculptures and sketches. No air conditioning though. So what do we want for free.

Last time that I was back in town, I made my pilgramage. Imagine my shock when they asked for money for admission. Inflation!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 09:13 am
I've never been to a art museum I didn't like - with fees or no fees. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:28 pm
Ditto c.i., even the Alamo which was disappointing I still liked it
0 Replies