Preparing for CPS?

snow1-1

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:15 am
Hello. I am a 22 year old mother of two, and I am coming here in hopes of some judgment free advice. On Friday night somebody walking there dog called the police on me for yelling at my child. I will admit, I yelled, louder then was beyond necessary. It was mostly out of frustration but panic as well. I took my eyes off my 3 year old for one second, and I stupidly, accidentally left ajax out after cleaning the bathroom. She was covered in it, and I was yelling "why would you do this?" And " I told you a million times not to touch things that aren't yours." There was panic on her end based off of my reaction, and because I wouldn't let her put her hands to her face. They were covered in ajax!

So the police knock on my door, I explain the situation, and the officer insists on seeing the mess. Fine. No problem. I'm assuming it was just a ploy to peek at my house and for the other officer to briefly survey my child in my absence. They wrote nothing down but the information required to run my name for warrants. That was it. Now my questions.

1. Police are mandatory reporters should they find its warranted. Would they have called someone right away? Would they tell me if they planned to report me?
2. Should they have reported me, what should I expect to happen next? Will CPS call me or just show up? What type of things would they be looking for? How can I prepare? I am open to speaking with them, I have nothing to hide. This was a weak moment for me, and to have the police called me embarrassed me as a mother. I try my very best when it comes to my babies, I don't beat them, starve them, or in any way mistreat them.

I have not had good experiences with CPS in the past, my niece was taken away years ago and I haven't seen her since. Different situation, different circumstances, but that has left me to feel afraid of CPS. I've heard the horror stories.

With all of this mind, should a worker come to my residence what is the best way to handle the situation? If they come to my house what are general things they look for? My house is clean, but there's always room for improvement. Will they look in my cupboards and fridge for food? Will they look at my kids? I just feel like absolutely everything has to be completely perfect or they will take my kids.

I don't mean to demonize workers, you have a tough job, with little appreciation. My kids are my world. I sacrifice, scrimp and save for them everyday. They have made me the person that I am, and I would never do anything to hurt them. I'm just looking to be prepared. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 976 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 07:01 am
You need to contact a lawyer - and go to Legal Services in your area if you can't afford one. Just, you need to line this duck up. They're also more familiar with the nuances than we are.
0 Replies