Hypothesis

GKK

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 08:03 pm
Could you please suggest which statistical method should be used to investigate whether patients who had a history of having drug “X” on a regular basis had significantly different systolic blood pressure (SBP), diastolic blood pressure (DBP) and cholesterol level (CHL) compared to that for patients without drug “X”.
The data is stored in SPSS.
The variables do not follow normal distribution, can I still use Kruskal-Wallis method?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 427 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 08:26 pm
@GKK,
Looks like the answer is yes.
Quote:
....Since it is a non-parametric method, the Kruskal–Wallis test does not assume a normal distribution of the residuals...
Wiki
GKK

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 08:33 pm
@fresco,
Sorry, I made a mistake in my question. The variables follow a normal distribution.

Do you reckon I can still use Kruskal-Wallis method?
fresco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 11:51 pm
@GKK,
Yes by default.
GKK

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 12:15 am
@fresco,
Thank you!!!!

Which statistical method should I use for comparing the significance of difference of age (continuous) between patients’ previous stroke (categorial) status.
The study population is 1429. Data stores in SPSS.
fresco

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 01:24 am
@GKK,
Statistical testing is as much a matter of fashion and convenience as it is one of logical selection. For example, there are usually parametric equivalents to non-parametric tests if your data is more than ordinal (ranked) I suggest you search the literature for a comparable study to your own and use a similar test.
GKK

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 01:29 am
@fresco,
Thank you Fresco!!
0 Replies