Statements on Birth certificate?

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 09:06 am
My birth certificate says something about amendment not being noted if it was prior to a listed date (ex. 05/02/2001).
I am aware amendments are made for mistakes made but why would it be corrected so many years after, as the date signifies I was five years old. It just seems weird.
It was filed a little over a month after my birth, I live in the county seat and all the court and human services offices are where I live, so I can't really think why it took so long when usually it only takes a week if even that.
I don't really think I am adopted because I look quite a bit like my mom, but I do think something is up because my mom tells me that she is O- like my sister and that me and my dad are both AB-. These don't match up. Do you think its possible my dad is really O and isn't really my dad?

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:01 am
@Lovemydog2010,
Go to a doctor and get a real-live blood test so at least you'll know that much. After that, maybe ask yourself why this matters so much to you and, if it really is a hornet's nest, why you feel like kicking it.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:38 am
The blood type doesn't mean anything. There are only three genes for blood type, A, B and i. The i gene is a recessive, you can't know if it is present just by knowing the blood type, except for type O, which is a combination of two recessives (i i). AB is a combination of A and B, so your blood type is not unusual. Your sister's blood type, though, might be, since it can only be the product of two recessives--but that's still possible without any infidelity. Positive or negative signs after a blood type refer to hemoglobin antigens, and are meaningless in this context.
0 Replies

Lovemydog2010

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:59 am
@jespah,
Theres just so many things that don't add up. My home life isn't bad, I am not complaining. I would like to know the truth, thats all.
engineer

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:12 pm
@Lovemydog2010,
Have you thought about directly asking your mother? Solving this question would clearly make a big impact on your life and you know who knows the answer. Just be prepared to accept that the scenario you have built could be completely wrong.
Lovemydog2010

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:05 pm
@engineer,
That is why I don't want to ask her. I am trying to piece this together myself.
engineer

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:40 pm
@Lovemydog2010,
You run a very real risk of letting human bias lend more weight to some information that supports your beliefs and less weight to those that do not, but ok.

In most states, to change non-trivial information on a birth certificate takes a court order. See if you can find that information at the court house. It sounds like you have the key date.

Look in old newspaper records to see if your birth was announced. Some papers announce all the local births, maybe with the parent names.

Ancestry.com can look up birth records although they might charge you and they might have nothing more than what is already on your birth certificate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:08 pm
@Lovemydog2010,
My best guess is that there was an error on your birth certificate and nobody caught it until they went to enroll you in school. That would account for you being 5 if it was amended.

I adopted my son 8 years ago and it wasn't until our tax return was questioned this year that we learned that his name on his Social Security card had never been changed. We had to take in piles of evidence and proof that he was indeed alive to get the name changed and a new card issued.

Mistakes happen and can not get noticed for years.

If your records were changed there is a paper trail out there.

It would be so much easier to just ask your mom in there might be some reason your birth certificate was changed at any time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:31 pm
@Lovemydog2010,
Have you seen this before?

http://www.endmemo.com/medical/bloodtype.php
Lovemydog2010

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 08:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, I have seen that. And it says the combos i put in (AB- and O-)are 0% possible for me to have blood type AB-.
JPB

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 08:11 am
@Lovemydog2010,
Perhaps your father is cis-AB and has a single allele for the AB type and other one for type O. It's rare, but possible. In a cis-AB/O parenting pair the offspring are either AB or O, exactly what you're describing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis_AB
0 Replies