Vots

Wed 3 Sep, 2014 07:14 pm
Took my old ceiling fan down...It has two lines running into the box....So I have two black and two white along with my grounds.....the fan only has a white, black and one ground......one of the white and blck wire were already wrapped together....I am guesing this is direct power from the box??? how do I finish this project??????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 926 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Normandchloe

Thu 4 Sep, 2014 08:26 am
@Vots,
You need to determine the hot side of the circuit and the common side. Make sure you are not touching anything metal with your skin. You should also wear insulated gloves. Also do not touch the metal of the wires. You will need a test light or a meter. Put one lead on the white and black connection and touch the other side of your meter or test light to each wire. One wire will cause the test light to glow or your meter will show voltage. The other will not. If both wires light up than you can use either one as long as you are sure it is not in series with another circuit. The hot side is the one that glows or shows voltage. The common side is the same as the black and white connection. Turn off the power and then connect your fan across the common and the hot wires. You should know if the circuit can handle the current load of your fan so you don't overload it. This is very important since an overloaded circuit can overheat and cause a fire. If you are not sure how to do this your should find an electrician. Good luck!
Vots

Thu 4 Sep, 2014 10:56 am
@Normandchloe,
Thank you
0 Replies

dalehileman

Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:19 am
@Normandchloe,
And if your meter reads ohms, shut off power to the entire house before using it in this mode; and once having done so be sure to switch it back into voltage mode
sofiakleeman

Wed 10 Sep, 2014 06:29 am
@dalehileman,
Yes you are right. I agree with you.
dalehileman

Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:07 am
@sofiakleeman,
Thanks Sofia, I'm usually pretty agreeable too
0 Replies