Looking for free ecards

jespah

Wed 3 Sep, 2014 05:19 am
Ack, this is a massive pain in the patoot.

'Tis the season for birthdays. We are set for this year but I am trying to be proactive about next year. It's been more of a struggle than it should have been.

Here's the deal. These are for nephews. One turns 10 tomorrow; the other turned 19 yesterday. We have the following requirements for ecards:
  • Free. Not a free trial. Free. Hallmark really isn't free anymore.
  • No signing up for a service, if we can avoid it. I'll relax this one if I absolutely must, but I'd really rather not.
  • Safe for tweens and teens. Even though the older one is hitting the big 2-0 next year, it still doesn't mean swearing, etc. are going to be accepted by his parents. And it'd be weird coming from Aunt jes and Uncle reeg anyway. Hence someecards is right out.
  • Not too froufrou. Jacqui Lawson cards, for example, are lovely but are very, very feminine-looking. Not gonna work here.
  • It would be nice, but right now I'm not pushing it, for the cards to not be lame. Don't really know a good way to put it, but it's not like we're their grandparents. Hence 123 greetings (which fits the other criteria) is okay but I'm hoping to do better. I went with 123 greetings this year. RP used some other service but we can't recall the name.
  • Must have scheduling capabilities.

Is this a pipe dream? Please say this stuff exists, somewhere. The younger one isn't on Facebook yet and the elder one is, but he keeps his friend list as his peer group so a Facebook greeting is out in either case.

Shiny red ribbon to the best answer; death by a thousand ecard paper cuts to all spammers.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 7,636 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jespah
Ragman

Wed 3 Sep, 2014 06:14 am
@jespah,
Personally, I've used Blue Mountain for 6 years.
http://www.bluemountain.com/

It is free and I've sent a variety of decent cards using their scheduler. I also don't get spammed by them and have been getting the proper birthday reminders on time on the proper dates a day or 1 week in advance of the birthdate. Furthermore, you can add greetings to the cards to personalize. with options they can speak how you set it in any one of 10 voices male or female including a couple of Brit accents.
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Wed 3 Sep, 2014 06:16 am
@Ragman,
I've had good luck with care2 - a bit environmentally focused but some very cool cards.

Good reminder service.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 3 Sep, 2014 11:01 am
Oh, cool - I had forgotten about both of 'em. Thank you both - now let's figure out how to split the ribbon.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 5 Sep, 2014 11:40 am
Ribbon goes to ehBeth (sorry Ragman), as Blue Mountain will now cost ya, whereas Care2 remains free - at least for now.
Ragman

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 11:54 am
@jespah,
I believe that's not true as I've been using Blue Mountain for free for 6 years. To my knowledge it is still free. I sent out a card last week. I know they do have a side of their site that charges but that is not true for the whole site.

http://www.bluemountain.com/

(This part is free)
jespah

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 01:03 pm
@Ragman,
Huh, maybe I misread it. Thanks.
ossobuco

Sat 6 Sep, 2014 06:32 pm
@jespah,
I used care2 as a site to look at for a while a lot of years ago, but they bombarded me with stuff and I shut them off. Took me several whiles to get them to listen re the shutoff.
They may have improved.
Or I may have.
0 Replies