2014 NFL PickUm Game

panzade

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 09:42 am
The Redskins and Kirk Cousins imploded last night.

My Skins are in a heap of trouble and the Giants and Manning look like they're getting comfortable in their new offensive scheme.

They're gonna give the Eaglets a run for their money.
Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 10:00 am
@ossobuco,
The difference for this scenario is this: this ethnic group was so badly discriminated against tragically...to the point that they were hunted, and decimated.

Whereas, (not to minimize it) the Irish suffered discrimination on issues of housing and jobs.

I have a good friend who is of native-American descent. We've discussed this and he has related that the native-American community is split on this issue, too. But the tide is turning very fast against Snyder and his choice to leave the name.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 11:50 am
@Ragman,
Oh, I well know the difference, Ragman. I was saying that ethnic team names or monikers aren't always bad.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 11:55 am
I received an email at midnight from Rhys. He said that he forgot to make his picks. I am awaiting his selections on the rest of the games. We are also missing Mysteryman's choices.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 11:58 am
@panzade,
I'm glad for the Giants, especially for Manning, who's had a tough time lately.

Cousins is my second quarterback in the a2k fantasy game. Not for long though...
I couldn't get rid of him last night, since he'd already played. Haven't checked yet if I can drop him today.

Edit, yep, I could drop him today.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 12:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I know you know. You know that I know you know ...'ya know?

My vote (and my point) is that the name should go. Not for reason's of pc-ness, either. I think this one is bad even though it's been in the public domain forever.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 01:06 pm
@Ragman,
You never know what to expect from either team on any given night, but I think that the Giants could have started something last night. Manning's a good quarterback and he can play like he did last night (or close to it) every game.
panzade

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 02:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree about Manning. But it was the defense that really got going.
Last year they gave up 25 points a game. This year they'll do a lot better I think.
Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 02:24 pm
@panzade,
Let's see how they Gints (and Manning) play at home against the Falcons next week. Falcons are no patsy. On the contrary- they're on an upswing.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 08:42 am
@Ragman,
As long as Mat Ryan doesn't catch anymore fireworks debris in his eye.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 09:11 am
Picks for CoinToss

NY Giants -
Green Bay -
Buffalo -
- Indianapolis
Carolina -
- NY Jets
- Pittsburgh
Miami -
Jacksonville -
- Minnesota
- SanFrancisco
- Dallas
- Kansas City
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:03 pm
@CoastalRat,
It took me a little while to realize "Coin Toss" is a player in the game rather than a variation on it. I thought I missed something.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Some of us used to take turns tossing coins to establish what Coin Toss's choices were. I was terrible at it, kept losing coins all over the place. Whoever is doing it now seems to be very talented at it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:24 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Simple solution. Pay Snyder 50 million for lost revenue in a name change.
Voila. Problem solved.

Another simple solution is for people to put things in perspective. It's a football team. All the protests seems to be causing Snyder to dig in his heels, and they're not even shared by the majority of the people who are supposed to be offended by the name.

Redskin merchandise revenues declined last year, and more than any other teams (around 45%), but that's typical for a team that fails to make the playoffs. The Ravens revenue dropped around 35%. If enough people agree that the team name should be changed, it will eventually hit Snyder in the pocketbook and may cause him to find a way to change it and still save face. The problem is that a lot of these teams are the toys of very rich individuals who are OK with making less money or even, in some cases, losing money. The financial hit on Snyder will have to be pretty big before he considers changing the name or selling the team to someone who might.

Any conceivable alternative that involves the government stepping in and forcing him to change the name is abhorrent.

When Charlotte got its first b-ball team, the Hornets, the city put its owner, George Schinn, on a pedestal, even though he was a shady character who made the fortune necessary to buy the expansion rights through private technical "colleges" that scammed the government for aid money. The Hornets, though, became his only source of revenue, and so it's management was a lot different than say billionaire Mark Cuban's for whom the Mavericks are a passionate hobby. If Schinn paid Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning the money they wanted, that was money coming directly out of his lifestyle. As a result of running it more like a conventional business and keeping expenses down, the team got worse, and Schinn eventually became a loathed figure in Charlotte.

Fans are fickle.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 02:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Even I have a certain level of nostalgia for the name, me who would change it if I owned the team. Or would I?

I'm also not clear that headdresses are mockery. There was a recent episode with the SF Giants with a fan, a non native american wearing a headdress on some sort of appreciation day, and thrown out, if I remember. Don't trust me, that's a flash read news item.

I've always thought they're beautiful.
0 Replies

CoinToss Deux

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5198373376/h1688F082/

Did you just call me a variant?

Dude.

That hurts.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 04:14 pm
We have had our first taste of autumn here in central Virginia with lows in the mid-50's, although today's high was 77. A few maples have started to turn their leaves.
We have had no rain in September vs an average of 5 inches.
But I digress.

Week #4 Preview:
We all agree on 3 games, picking Indy, Pitts and San D.
Four games are considered as tossups: NYG @ Wash; GB @ Chicago; Buff @ Hou; and Phil @ SF.
The majority agree on 78% of the total picks.
There are some new names in how we fare individually. Jauman, Lightning and Liontamer agree with the majority on all but 1 game. AndyD, Osso and Ragman are off by 2. Finn differs from the majority on 5.

We have yet to hear from Rhys and Mysteryman.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 04:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
Gotta take a risk and try something different if my thread team is going to climb in the standings. I don't like being last in anything. Cool
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've been high in this game, if memory serves, or maybe that was my imagination, and on a low boat to despair. More the second than the first.

My motto is research and then what the hell, instinct.
Instinct flails with data in progress.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 04:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
I sent a note to mysteryman over on FB. Looks like he's working a lot of crazy hours these days.