San Diego Chargers
Atlanta Falcons
Philadelphia Eagles
Dallas Cowboys

New England Patriots (24-21)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 05:02 am
Travelling without a computer this week. We're due back in Chicago late this afternoon. I'll try to get all of my picks in before kickoff tonigjt, but just in case we get delayed I'd like to pick Denver and request dispensation from the commisioner to complete my picks tomorrow.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 08:49 am
@JPB,
Giants or Redskins JPB.
Redskins are playing at home and are so banged up that Vegas had to bump the 'Skins to -4 to counter the avalanche of Giants bets.
I'm still undecided and I'm going to the local restaurant for lunch to look for some guidance.
See you this afternoon.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 09:11 am
I'll have my picks in the later on in the day. I'm working on my last picks. Got some preliminary ones. Narrowing down choices of the last 2 or 3 matches...Giants-Skins and Bears-Packers and 49ers-Iggles. Hell, even Texans-Bills looks tough to narrow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:24 am
@CoastalRat,
NY Giants

Chicago

Buffalo

Indianapolis

Carolina

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Miami

SanDiego

Atlanta

SanFrancisco

New Orleans

New England

24 - 17
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:26 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Giants or Redskins JPB.
Redskins are playing at home and are so banged up that Vegas had to bump the 'Skins to -4 to counter the avalanche of Giants bets.
I'm still undecided and I'm going to the local restaurant for lunch to look for some guidance.
See you this afternoon.

Giants. My phone was showing week 8
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:46 am
Week #4 NFL Pick-‘em Contest

Thurs. game
*NY Giants @ Wash

Sunday, early
?Green Bay @ Chic
?Buffalo @ Hous
Tenn @ Indy
Carol @ Balt
Det @ NY J
TB @ Pitts
Mia @ Oak
Jax @ SD
Atl @ Minn
*Phil @ SF
*NO @ Dall

Monday game
NE @ KC

Tiebreaker 24 – 17

P.S. I might make a change or two before 5pm but at least I put something here for now.
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:54 am
Another week, another set of picks.

Week #4 -- NFL bye weeks begin, so 2 fewer games to pick.

Washington
Green Bay
Buffalo
Indianapolis
Baltimore
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Miami
SanDiego
Atlanta
SanFrancisco
New Orleans
New England (34-14)
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:59 am
@CoastalRat,
Actually, there are 3 less matches to pick this week:
Bye Teams: Denver, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, Arizona, Seattle
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 11:52 am
Rhys hasn't emailed me with his picks yet.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:04 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah, I obviously don't count too well. You'd think an accountant would be better at that.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:13 pm
@CoastalRat,
My experience is that once away from crunching numbers from 9-to-5, accountant don't add up to much.

Seriously, though, if I didn't just look it up (saw it yesterday), I'd not have known for certain.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:37 pm
Lunch was good.
Fish sandwich and potato salad made with Redskin potatoes.

My pick was sitting on my plate in front of me.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6hMJFIoSATQ/U6Lj95gqdII/AAAAAAAABEs/4YEIromKvWc/s1600/Spuds+on+the+Warpath.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:44 pm
@Ragman,
That's similar to my pick-um notes.. lots of question marks/wondering maunderings underlying the question marks. (hey, spellcheck, that's in the wiktionary)

I had Kansas City winning for a day or so, then came to my senses... among other assorted quandaries. You can assumed that since I decided to give NE a go, that KC will surprise all and win.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:58 pm
@panzade,
Ok, that solves it! I'm divided on the subject, which is a problem that happens when one reads too many articles. There are many native americans and quite a lot are not against the name; others are, I gather strongly. Somewhere I read that the guy who picked the name in the first place was native american, but I didn't save a link.

Or:
they could call themselves the Washington Red Onions.

Next?
Washington Red Beets

I'll stop now. Thank you.

I forgot..
Washington Red Shoes. That makes as much sense as, um, red sox.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:07 pm
Washington
Green Bay
Houston
Indianapolis
Baltimore
NY Jets
Pittsburgh
Miami
SanDiego
Atlanta
SanFrancisco
New Orleans
New England (21-20)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
... read that the guy who picked the name in the first place was native American, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy
"The Washington Redskins were originally known as the Boston Braves. In 1933, co-owner George Preston Marshall changed the name to the Redskins, possibly in recognition of the then–head coach William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, who claimed to be part Sioux. On July 6, 1933, the Boston Herald reported that "the change was made to avoid confusion with the Braves baseball team and the team that is to be coached by an Indian (Dietz)... with several Indian players."[7] Dietz's ancestry has been questioned by some scholars, as a birth certificate and census records recorded his parents as white. This does not preclude his having had Sioux ancestry as well; however, he served a month in jail when the documentation of his ancestry he presented to claim an exemption from the draft during World War I could not be authenticated."

That claim of his was invalidated. He lied! Can you imagine someone lying in Wash, DC who is playing politics?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:55 pm
@Ragman,
Whatever I read in passing said (I think - my memory is alas not photographic) that it was he who suggested the name.

The plot thickens...
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:58 pm
@ossobuco,
The point I was making is that he was a fraud/making a fraudulent claim. Snyder, the current owner's claim is as bogus as his good will is.

IMHO, common sense says change the name and take the high road. Then again, I'm not a billionaire (still have ethics and morals).