What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 10:01 pm
Scientists say they have evidence the universe is dying. Where are we going to put all those resurrected, not to mention burning, souls?
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 12:16 am
@edgarblythe,
In the cosmos, of course.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 12:19 am
@InfraBlue,
Brain?
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:34 am
@neologist,
Where would I find one of these "Brain" things you speak of?
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:27 am
@Smileyrius,
OW!
Your question makes my head hurt!
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 10:06 am
@neologist,
According to you, our consciences are defective. Are our brains defective as well?
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 10:59 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
According to you, our consciences are defective. Are our brains defective as well?
Actually, our brains are quite capable of finding reasons to do whatever our defective consciences may think up. But they are also capable of figuring out when we are fooling ourselves.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 12:21 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

OW!

Well...maybe you could suggest where Smiley not bother to look for one.
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 01:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
neologist wrote:
OW!
Frank Apisa wrote:
Well...maybe you could suggest where Smiley not bother to look for one.
OW!
Et tu Frank?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 01:52 pm
@neologist,
Is that JW doctrine?
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good point.
I'm new here so has anyone seen a thread which proposes or asks for proposals for a God that satisfies all the objections to religion(s) and at the same time is compatible with reason and human nature as we understand it?

I've always wanted to have that discussion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
Give it a shot.

Start a thread on it. I'll certainly participate.

There are some here who absolutely claim there are no gods...some who even claim gods are impossible.

I can construct a hypothetical god that can exist...and apparently you can also.

Start the thread, Leadfoot. It is a good way to introduce yourself to the crowd.

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 03:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
OK, done.
Posted discussion "A God That Makes Sense?".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 03:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Is that JW doctrine?
If you want JW 'doctrine', go to JW.org. If you want my feeble thoughts about it, stick around here.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 03:38 pm
@neologist,
HA
0 Replies

Briancrc

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:04 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

If they are all incorrect, then wonder why it is that people believe so strongly that their religion is right and others are wrong. If we know they are all wrong, then what justifies acrimony between believers of different faiths?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 03:09 am
@neologist,
Question asked: 'What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?'

Nothing much would happen, I venture. It would probably mean that said God doesn't know or care about us, and that probably would mean that there's no afterlife to speak of.

Or perhaps this God is so nonrestrictive or forgiving that his/her/its religious guidelines are so vague and generalized they are to an extent present in all religions. In that case, most of us might get a free ticket just by existing. That creates a fuzzy warm feeling in my tummy.

Other explanations seem problematic(sadistic deity, powerless deity), but the ramifications of this question won't really be an issue until we die, anyway.

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 08:09 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:

Question asked: 'What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?'

Nothing much would happen, I venture. It would probably mean that said God doesn't know or care about us, and that probably would mean that there's no afterlife to speak of.

"Nothing much" was a pretty good answer (and true!)

But the simplest answer is just that they are all wrong, period. And if they are all wrong, why would God cancel the 'afterlife' just because of that? Maybe it means that God only cares about individuals instead of boring sermons, pot luck dinners, jihad and pilgrimages to Meca.
neologist

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 11:38 am
@Leadfoot,
There is no guarantee of an afterlife. When you're dead, you're dead (See Ecclesiastes 9:5)
Nor, is the resurrection of John 5:28,29 to be considered anything beyond a second chance.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2015 01:13 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
There is no guarantee of an afterlife. When you're dead, you're dead (See Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Ecclesiastes 9:5 says, "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten."

It doesn't say, "when you're dead, you're dead."

neologist wrote:
Nor, is the resurrection of John 5:28,29 to be considered anything beyond a second chance.

Why?