What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

G4Racer

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 09:58 am
@neologist,
An attempt to clear a view:
I just finished a quick on Christianity and that there are about 41,000 Christian Denominations having a minimum 2 churches. Some exist due to differences of what they take a single verse to mean. I know that in 1968 there were 66 Baptist Denominations in the USA listed but 41k seems high to me.
As most discussions of "God", Christianity in particular, usually end up the the discussion becoming focused on:
In the beginning "God" . . . or In the beginning "Bang" . . . I remember a conversation I was having with a young Dutch physicist who, for some reason had decided to express his view of creation. It blended the Biblical account of creation with "Big Bang" perfectly. The last time I saw Adriaan Walther he was teaching Physics at WPI and that was about a decade ago.
Adriaan was a born teacher. Asking a question to most optical designers allows to walk away feeling that you had just spent a long time listening to how smart they were; but not having the original question answered. Ask Adriaan and it was usually pretty brief, you obtained the answer. I don't believe he ever spoke down to anyone in his life.
The stories found in Geneses existed long before Moses, several thousand years in some cases. Are they of historical value? Yes as they appear in such a large number of areas and cultures it should be difficult to not to accept them while allowing minor details to vary.
The "Big Bang" is a theory and one of hundreds that have existed. It does meet most all requirements to be proven as fact but it requires the existence of something in order for it to be proven as fact. The pre-existence of that something has been given a name, the "God Particle" and an effort is being made to create one. Will creating one of these "God Particles" using our technology, and knowing that we have created it from something, provide an answer? I believe "Big Bang" will remain a theory for quite some time,
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:03 am
@G4Racer,
Quote:
I believe "Big Bang" will remain a theory for quite some time,
Meantime Racer I propose we entertain the notion that the Big Bang is one step of a process that goes on forever: Big Bang, evolution, expansion, Big Crunch, Big Bang etc

No paradox nor contradiction

As to why there should be anything at all in the first place: God aside maybe things are the way they are because they have to be: Somehow a total absence of everything, including of course space, is contradictory or impossible
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:42 pm
@mark noble,
All powerful, all likable. Omni-love, perfection, eternal life, knowing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:46 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
So, what instruments of violence will your priests be blessing in that event?
Easy
None

So, the violence will be perpetrated all the same.
neologist

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 06:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Do you believe I look forward to the violence? Or to the end of violence?
It appears to me that violence will come first because there are things in prophecy that have yet to come about.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:07 am
@neologist,
what kind of violence Neo?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:02 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

It appears to me that violence will come first because there are things in prophecy that have yet to come about.

You look forward to that prophecy which includes violence perpetrated by and on behalf of your god.

It would seem to me that you look forward to whatever amount of violence that will be perpetrated by and on behalf of your god.
neologist

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
You look forward to that prophecy which includes violence perpetrated by and on behalf of your god.

It would seem to me that you look forward to whatever amount of violence that will be perpetrated by and on behalf of your god.
I wonder if you and I are thinking of the same thing.
Take the most feared terrorist group in the world today. . . . . You pick the group . . . .
Do you suppose they could be made peaceful without violence of some kind? If so, please advise God as to what means he might use.
I promise I will go along with that, as I abhor violence.
And, perhaps God will retain you as a permanent adviser.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:48 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

I wonder if you and I are thinking of the same thing.
Take the most feared terrorist group in the world today. . . . . You pick the group . . . .
Do you suppose they could be made peaceful without violence of some kind? If so, please advise God as to what means he might use.
I promise I will go along with that, as I abhor violence.
And, perhaps God will retain you as a permanent adviser.

You are talking about the god who made our planet...the sun around which it revolves...the galaxy of 200 billion stars that the sun is part of...and the 100+ billion galaxies of which we know?

That god?

And you are saying that god cannot put an end to violence without destroying the world?

C'mon, Neo.

Anyway...I can understand how Blue or anyone else could conclude that you seem to be looking forward with relish to the violence prophecized.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, neo simply accepts what's written in Revelations without a moment's rational thought involved. Bear with him.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 09:55 pm
@neologist,
The violence that will be perpetrated by and on behalf of your god won't be directed solely at the most feared terrorist group in the world today to make them peaceful, it'll be directed against people who don't adhere to the Jehovah's Witnesses' religion, according to it.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 10:07 pm
God is a concept; a mirror of questions that forms a mirage of our desires to be.

Behind that God, is the eternal eye which stares back at us all. The higher power of God; the Void. Not even a God could handle a Void, for the Void is the unborn; the unseen; the unliving - in that, life emerges.
MWal

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 10:31 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Do you think knowledge can emerge from no-love, from heck?

Rev 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is

Jesus coming onto the spirits of our holy minds which are temples.

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 10:40 pm
@MWal,
Knowledge comes to us when we want to evolve and move on from old habits.

You live an old habit, so knowledge cannot come to you - you make up your own knowledge, but that's not enough, my friend. Understand these words, and you can still love and be free, without holding on to your personal reality.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
...I can understand how Blue or anyone else could conclude that you seem to be looking forward with relish to the violence prophecized.
Really?!
You don't know me.

I have often wondered: Could those who knowingly reject God's sovereignty be happy living in a world where it was enforced?

The whole of the matter revolves around the issue of whether God has the right to set standards for his creation. Though I believe He has that right, I have my entire life struggled with inclinations to the contrary. I may know the way; but I cannot guarantee I will endure.

In the end, survivors may look around with amazement not only on those present, but on those not present.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The violence that will be perpetrated by and on behalf of your god won't be directed solely at the most feared terrorist group in the world today to make them peaceful, it'll be directed against people who don't adhere to the Jehovah's Witnesses' religion, according to it.
And I cannot say for certain I will not be one of those. But I can say that God has the right to enforce his standards.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Frank, neo simply accepts what's written in Revelations without a moment's rational thought involved. Bear with him.
By all means. It's good for your cholesterol rating.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:49 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
...I can understand how Blue or anyone else could conclude that you seem to be looking forward with relish to the violence prophecized.
Really?!
You don't know me.

I have often wondered: Could those who knowingly reject God's sovereignty be happy living in a world where it was enforced?

The whole of the matter revolves around the issue of whether God has the right to set standards for his creation. Though I believe He has that right, I have my entire life struggled with inclinations to the contrary. I may know the way; but I cannot guarantee I will endure.

In the end, survivors may look around with amazement not only on those present, but on those not present.

Without regard to any of that, Neo...my statement stands. I can easily understand how Blue or anyone else can conclude that you seem to be looking forward with relish to the violence seemingly prophecized.

It has nothing to do with "knowing" you...it has to do with reading what you write.

I do not know you...but I have no trouble concluding that you are a Jehovah's Witness...and that you think the teachings of the Watchtower are of value in life.

So...my comment was just an observation based on what you write.

There may no be any gods...and if there are, the gods may not be as barbaric as some of you who hold theistic views suppose. If there are, the gods may not be as disposed to "punish" people (or refuse reward) for the kinds of reasons you deem important.

But some of you who fall into the latter category seem almost delighted with what you suppose is going to happen.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:20 am
http://i57.tinypic.com/2myuof6.jpg
Proof that all major religions are wrong....

The one true god is the bloke on the far left.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 10:48 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
And I cannot say for certain I will not be one of those. But I can say that God has the right to enforce his standards.

"I have given you the freedom to follow your own conscience, but if you don't follow me I'll visit harrowing violence upon you."

Cognitively dissonant much?