What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

rosborne979

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:19 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

If such an entity existed, why would revealing itself have any affect on free will? Is there a set of rules (which limit our free will) associated with or implied by the existence of this entity?

I think rather it is the opposite, my take on the matter is that This God stepped into the shadows in order to allow man to exercise his free will to rule his self in order that man may learn the consequences first hand, creating a point of reference for any future challenge, enforcing the case for mans need for Gods governance.

I still don't see how knowing of god's existence would affect free will. Aren't there billions of people on this planet right now that believe they know god exists, and they still have free will. Is it only the empirical nature of the knowledge which would negate our free will?

And how is this any different from knowing that the sun exists, or that night time is just the shadow of the earth blocking the sun. These things are just knowledge. Without rules associated with them they do not restrict us in any way.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 12:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Ok, let me see if I got this. Your answer to the proposition of "what if no religions are correct, but there still is a god" is that if such an entity existed it must have created the Universe because anything else is uninteresting. And that it created the Universe in such a way that its own presence and actions are virtually indistinguishable from nature. And it did this because it is primarily concerned for our free will. But it didn't hide its presence completely because that would be duplicitous. Instead it leaves tiny cracks in nature which imply its presence and its hand in events. And those cracks are more easily visible to people who are actively seeking to find the creator.

Is that about right?

And golf is just knocking balls into little holes, football is just a bunch of guys butting heads for possession of a misshapen ball, theoretical physicists are just pencil doodlers making up formulas that often can't be proven, and the love you profess for your wife and children is nothing but a particular balance of chemistry in your head.

Anything can be trivialized.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 03:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
I wasn't trivializing anything. Where was it inaccurate? That's a restatement of what you said isn't it? I don't understand where you thought that was trivializing.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 03:48 pm
@rosborne979,
Here is one example of the distortion in your 'restatement'. I assume this is the post that motivated your 'restatement' about 'interesting' :

Quote:
ros Quote:
"It sounds now like you are implying God has to be interesting. Why have you dismissed all the other possibilities?"

Leadfoot wrote:
Aside from the experience of meeting him, that would probably be due to my personal curse of being unable to motivate myself with anything that does not greatly interest me.

ros replied:
Quote:
"Your answer to the proposition of "what if no religions are correct, but there still is a god" is that if such an entity existed it must have created the Universe because anything else is uninteresting."

Aside from being a gross distortion of what I said, you ignored my primary claim of meeting him. You can ridicule that claim, call me a liar or delusional, but you can't legitimately claim that I said I made up God and the idea of creation purely because I thought it would be interesting.

If you can't see that meeting the creator of the universe would be interesting, our standards of what's interesting are too far apart.

What I really meant in that first statement was that if I found a God that was not interesting, I would have no interest in talking or finding out more about him/it. I don't talk about anything that doesn't interest me.

rosborne979

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
Fair enough. Then please disregard the part about it being interesting and respond to the rest of my attempt to understand your viewpoint.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 07:26 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
And that it [God] created the Universe in such a way that its own presence and actions are virtually indistinguishable from nature.

Is that about right?

Not quite right, but this isn't a 25 word or less issue, so one at a time.

The universe is in a different category than his presence and actions. The idea that the universe is indistinguishable from nature (natural causes) is a modern notion (albeit false). Some earlier men looked around the world and thought it was obvious there had to be something far more powerful than themselves behind the universe. But the universe was a self sustaining thing that required no direct intervention from a God to go on so early man too, could ignore its miraculous nature and be preoccupied with mere survival if they chose. But still, the evidence/clues were there to be seen. Just because some of them made up fanciful stories about them does not negate the fact that they had those clues.

Today, we just have other reasons beyond the apparent static nature of the universe to ignore its mystery. Today's myth is that we know there is no mystery but in fact, we know even greater and deeper mysteries about creation. Scientists know and are fascinated by them and are confident that they will solve those deeper mysteries but the fact is, - they have not. But because of their certainty that the answers are 'just around the corner', they give the impression to the untrained public that there are no real mysteries and most people buy that story because it's too hard grappling with the question themselves.

I think early and modern man have about the same level of challenge in seeing the external clues. Especially since the best ones are internal.

Because the primary clues are internal, God might have made the universe a perfectly seamless thing without those 'cracks' if he was able. But that is apparently an impossible task, given that he had to give us a piece of his own intelligence in order for us to develop into interesting company. Unless he dumbed us down, there was no way to completely hide the fact of creation and therefore, his existence. But as you can see, he did an impressive job of hiding it. A mystery, inside a conundrum, wrapped around an enigma, or something like that. My prediction is they won't ever find the holy grail of nature explaining everything.

About God's actions- You got that one right, plausible deniability is the rule. He is free to break it at times but he chooses never to 'publicly' do it in such a way to constitute 'proof'.

His presence is a tricky one.
FWIW, I once asked him why I felt his presence but so many others did not. The question that came to me was 'How do you know what the absence of my presence feels like?.' I couldn't answer so I asked to be shown that. He did. It came and then went in an instant. No idea how long it lasted, something between 4 minutes and 4 hours I'm guessing, but I would not have survived had it lasted a minute longer. I cannot adequately describe it, there was no physical pain, but it was the darkest experience i can now imagine. I don't mean frightening or threatening, just utter, black, vacuous emptiness. It was litteral Nothing. I know what clinical depression is, this was something Very different.

So I'm fairly sure that all men feel the presence of God, but like the miraculous universe, you get used to it and it can be ignored or taken as 'just consciousness', (another mystery we don't understand).

That experience also solved another mystery for me. I used to wonder why Jesus would have said 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me' just before he died. I think It was that same kind of experience that made him 'sweat great drops of blood' when contemplating his crucifiction. The physical aspect of it was nothing compared to that emtiness of the lack of God's presence. Why it was necessary for that to happen, I do not know.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 07:40 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
And it did this because it is primarily concerned for our free will. [?]

Yes.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 08:50 am
@Leadfoot,
Yikes, it's going to take me a while to digest all that. Smile And I don't have time right now. But thanks for the explanation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 08:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
And it did this because it is primarily concerned for our free will. [?]

Yes.

Whew, at least I got one bit of it right Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 04:27 am
@Leadfoot,
When you say the best clues are internal, do you mean they are feelings, or are you implying something else? What exactly is an internal clue?
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 11:21 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
When you say the best clues are internal, do you mean they are feelings, or are you implying something else? What exactly is an internal clue?

You ask hard questions.

The clues are probably highly individual, but yes, they all come from your consciousness. They may emerge as thoughts but of course all thoughts trigger emotions, so indirectly, you could say they are just feelings. But we are flooded with feelings of all kinds so it's easy to file the clues away as just another pesky random thought. I do think there is something about them that sets them apart.

The last one I got was a thought that popped up unexpectedly - Why are humans, of all the species, so individual in both appearance and behavior? Might make a good OP on a2k. I can imagine some of the plausible explanations, but it's the kind of question that can lead one in the right direction if you follow it.

It has been my assumption that the incredibly complex and interesting nature of our consciousness insured that everyone experienced a need to explore those thoughts and feelings further, but I've recently been given reason to question that. That too may be a matter of free will.

That's probably as close as I can come to answering that hard question. But yes, it is, as so many skeptics have charged, - all in your head. But then so is everything that really matters in life.

I can't resist including this quote: "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he."
rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
You ask hard questions.

I'm trying to make sense of the way you think. Because it doesn't match up with the way I think at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 01:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
I need to take a step back and understand how you approach the original question of the thread.

When you get a "What If" question like "What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?", is your initial approach to try to make sense of the "What If" scenario within empirical reality, or do you simply see it as an emotional assessment?

For example, I could answer that original What If question by simply saying, "it makes me feel good", or "it makes me feel bad", and both of those would be perfectly reasonable responses to the What If question. They are observations of how the What If scenario might impact me emotionally.

But I could also approach the question by trying to assess the implications of having a god within our empirical reality. In other words, I could start to assess the implications of what that would look like and how we might discern it.

Which way to you approach the question?
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 08:50 pm
@rosborne979,
The clue might be a thought that triggers an emotion but we are expected to use our God given intellect at all times.

Your last summery was almost a restatement of the account I've posted several times of how my search started.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 01:29 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Smileyrius wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

If such an entity existed, why would revealing itself have any affect on free will? Is there a set of rules (which limit our free will) associated with or implied by the existence of this entity?

I think rather it is the opposite, my take on the matter is that This God stepped into the shadows in order to allow man to exercise his free will to rule his self in order that man may learn the consequences first hand, creating a point of reference for any future challenge, enforcing the case for mans need for Gods governance.

I still don't see how knowing of god's existence would affect free will. Aren't there billions of people on this planet right now that believe they know god exists, and they still have free will. Is it only the empirical nature of the knowledge which would negate our free will?

And how is this any different from knowing that the sun exists, or that night time is just the shadow of the earth blocking the sun. These things are just knowledge. Without rules associated with them they do not restrict us in any way.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I understand that people act differently when they believe they are being watched. I used to run a block of student accommodation in London, we had a fair bit of trouble with the lifts, litter, graffiti, unsolicited leaflets etc, so we installed a dummy cctv camera to see if this would deter this kind of behaviour, and low and behold, it did. Because the tenants believed they were being watched, they did not exercise their own will, they supressed what was clearly a desire because they were afraid of being caught. What if a student was to believe that it was a dummy camera? that no one was watching? deniability is what enables him to continue defacing the lift and exercising his will.

Applying the analogy, (which may be stretched, I apologise if it doesn't follow, it is early in the morning here so my state of mind has yet to get off the starting line with it's required coffee buff.) If God was present but said, you're in charge now, honest, I'm just watching, man would not act according to the desires of his heart, however allowing man the opportunity to deny his existence, man is free to do as he pleases. He has done just enough to make provision for those that are interested in Gods rule.

On the subject of the number of people in the world that are convinced of Gods existence, for those that serve their own desires, there is always a religion that will teach the lifestyle they wish to follow. When people find their religion restricts them, they often find a new one. These are the ones that have "a form of Godly worship but prove false to it's power", the plausible deniability scenario allows people to create and serve a God or version of their God of their choosing.

perhaps

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 07:38 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
Smiley wrote:
My take on the matter is that This God stepped into the shadows in order to allow man to exercise his free will to rule his self in order that man may learn the consequences first hand, creating a point of reference for any future challenge, enforcing the case for mans need for Gods governance.

Our understanding on many things seems to be very close so I have a question/observation that I would like your reaction to.

The need for God's concealment is obvious from our point of view - the preservation of free will. But I think the ultimate goal of that has further implications than just the demonstration of failure of man's governance (which is also obvious).

I have thought that the ultimate goal was to winnow out those who could be trusted as individuals to wield the same power that he gave his only begotten Son - without governance of any kind. That is a humbling thought btw, not an arrogant one. We often talk of the trust we should have in God. But if it is right, this thought is humbling in the realization of how much trust God wants to have in us.

In my speculation, the scenario where man is given such powers could only exist in heaven, not earth, so it always struck me as incongruent that the reward for seeking God should be to live forever on earth.

This train of thought struck me as I sat in the last church I attended. I looked around at these people who wouldn't hurt a fly but I knew that if I spoke about my full beliefs about what God had in mind, they would blow my head off with a celestial canon if they had one. In a place where thoughts are immediately manifested in reality, I'd be a dead man around them as well as the non church going people just like them.

But the book does say that the meek shall inherit the earth so I am looking for something that will make sense of this apparent contradiction. To make it even harder, the book also tells us as followers to be bold, fearless, uncompromising, etc. in pursuit of God which sounds anything but 'meek'.

Atheists and other skeptics often ask about the absurdity of sending people to hell who are peaceable, kind, and 'moral' but who never saw the value in seeking God. It's a good question and I wonder if 'inheriting the earth' is not the thing that answers all these apparent contradictions.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/reactions.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 08:21 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
I'm no psychiatrist, but I understand that people act differently when they believe they are being watched.

That being the case, why would god ever want to reveal itself at all? Wouldn't it be better just to make itself completely indiscernible?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 08:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
You ask hard questions.

The clues are probably highly individual, but yes, they all come from your consciousness. They may emerge as thoughts but of course all thoughts trigger emotions, so indirectly, you could say they are just feelings. But we are flooded with feelings of all kinds so it's easy to file the clues away as just another pesky random thought. I do think there is something about them that sets them apart.

Ok, so forgive the obvious challenge to this, but how do you differentiate your own internal views from others who believe completely different things. No offence, but the crackpot on the street corner ranting about the end times can make all the same claims about internal voices, right? How do you rule out hallucination and delusion and brain damage and confusion and all the other myriad ailments that humans can have?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 05:07 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Ok, so forgive the obvious challenge to this, but how do you differentiate your own internal views from others who believe completely different things. No offence, but the crackpot on the street corner ranting about the end times can make all the same claims about internal voices, right? How do you rule out hallucination and delusion and brain damage and confusion and all the other myriad ailments that humans can have?

Hmmm... Thought I answered this before.

Same as with any hypothesis. If when you put your clues together you get a coherent picture and repeatable useful results, you can probably rule out delusion, brain damage, drug effects, etc.

If you get incoherent or random results then it might be one or more of those things.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Same as with any hypothesis. If when you put your clues together you get a coherent picture and repeatable useful results, you can probably rule out delusion, brain damage, drug effects, etc.

I agree with this, but I don't remember you mentioning any empirical, testable, useful results in your list of clues. As a matter of fact, your "primary clues" were "internal" as you put it, basically feelings. What did I miss?