Does "a fish in so tiny a barrel" mean "a turtle in a small jar"?

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 06:31 pm
@contrex,
Yeah, I'm waiting his answer, too.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 06:31 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I would hesitate to describe a construction like "[noun] at its most [adjective]" as idiomatic. It can be perfectly well understood from the individual meanings of its elements e.g.:

Steak - a cut of of meat

at its most - at some maximum state or level, described by a following adjective

delicious - good to eat.

Cool.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 08:51 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
"Typical"? I don't know what to say, except that English is not algebra or Lego. Are you a native English speaker?

Yeah, typical as in not being peculiar to itself grammatically like the way idioms are.

Yes, I'm a native English speaker.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:32 am
Well, I think I'd be allowed to put some other questions here without the need to create a new thread.

The exact meaning of the word "knew". Does it mean "was familiar with"?

Context:

Afar, old Xian Hill in a hazy pile,
In one snug nook, the home Pang Tong once knew.
There lads could tell the turtledove's homing call;
And news of his great deeds was known by all.

contrex

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:41 am
Quote:
Daily Mail 13 March 2014
A schoolboy has forced Tesco to admit it made a mistake on the label of its orange juice after he noticed an embarrassing grammatical blunder.

Albert Gifford, 15, was enjoying his breakfast at home in Shepton Mallet, Somerset when he saw that his carton of juice boasted it was made with the 'most tastiest' oranges.

He wrote to the supermarket giant to complain, suggesting they change the wording to 'tastiest' or 'most tasty' - and they have now agreed to correct the packaging.

Albert, who is studying for his GCSEs at Whitstone School, saw the mistake on the £1 carton of orange juice one morning last month.

The label read: 'Only the best quality fruit makes the grade for our juices. We squeeze or press it only when it's perfectly ripe and at its most tastiest.'

Quote:
Open Colleges Australia
This is subject-verb agreement at its most fundamental.

Quote:
Teaching Foreign Languages In Secondary Schools (Open University)
a perverse desire to experience the pain of grammar at its most excruciating

Quote:
The Grammar Of Perspective by Christopher Woods
the grammatical voice force of the prefixes is at its most potent the closer the prefix is to the verbal root

Quote:
Get To Grips With English Grammar by Ron Simpson
the simplest of statements (English grammar at its most basic) consists of a name and what he/she/it did: 'Jesus wept.'

Quote:
Grammar And Composition: A Senior Course by CA Sheppard & BR Thomas
Unfortunately, a constrictor, usually a sluggish creature, is at its most active when short of wind.

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 01:02 am
What does "Wow, just wow" mean here?
Does it mean "I tell this just to impress you"?

Context:

Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts. Freethought Feeding Frenzy. “Dawkins actually said – I kid you not – that his experience in the squash court wasn’t the worst thing that ever happened. Wow, just wow. Where has he been these past few years? Doesn’t everyone nowadays know there are NO gradations? All cases are exactly equally bad. How dare Dawkins BELITTLE the horrors of pedophiliac assault?”

MOre:
http://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/who-is-belittling-what/
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 01:25 am
"Wow" is an informal/colloquial exclamation of surprise or alarm. In context it means "I am very surprised by this". It is used here as a way of expressing derision, anger, etc at what Dawkins is said to have written.

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:00 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

"Wow" is an informal/colloquial exclamation of surprise or alarm. In context it means "I am very surprised by this". It is used here as a way of expressing derision, anger, etc at what Dawkins is said to have written.

Thanks.
Tow questions remain:
1) Are both ]Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts and Freethought Feeding Frenzy two magazine?

2) Does " NO gradations" mean "(there are) no different levels (all at the same level_"?

Quote:
Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts. Freethought Feeding Frenzy. “Dawkins actually said – I kid you not – that his experience in the squash court wasn’t the worst thing that ever happened. Wow, just wow. Where has he been these past few years? Doesn’t everyone nowadays know there are NO gradations? All cases are exactly equally bad. How dare Dawkins BELITTLE the horrors of pedophiliac assault?”
oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:01 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:
Daily Mail 13 March 2014
A schoolboy has forced Tesco to admit it made a mistake on the label of its orange juice after he noticed an embarrassing grammatical blunder.

Albert Gifford, 15, was enjoying his breakfast at home in Shepton Mallet, Somerset when he saw that his carton of juice boasted it was made with the 'most tastiest' oranges.

He wrote to the supermarket giant to complain, suggesting they change the wording to 'tastiest' or 'most tasty' - and they have now agreed to correct the packaging.

Albert, who is studying for his GCSEs at Whitstone School, saw the mistake on the £1 carton of orange juice one morning last month.

The label read: 'Only the best quality fruit makes the grade for our juices. We squeeze or press it only when it's perfectly ripe and at its most tastiest.'

Quote:
Open Colleges Australia
This is subject-verb agreement at its most fundamental.

Quote:
Teaching Foreign Languages In Secondary Schools (Open University)
a perverse desire to experience the pain of grammar at its most excruciating

Quote:
The Grammar Of Perspective by Christopher Woods
the grammatical voice force of the prefixes is at its most potent the closer the prefix is to the verbal root

Quote:
Get To Grips With English Grammar by Ron Simpson
the simplest of statements (English grammar at its most basic) consists of a name and what he/she/it did: 'Jesus wept.'

Impressive.

Quote:
Grammar And Composition: A Senior Course by CA Sheppard & BR Thomas
Unfortunately, a constrictor, usually a sluggish creature, is at its most active when short of wind.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:02 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Well, I think I'd be allowed to put some other questions here without the need to create a new thread.

Context:

Afar, old Xian Hill in a hazy pile,
In one snug nook, the home Pang Tong once knew.
There lads could tell the turtledove's homing call;
And news of his great deeds was known by all.

Who would like to answer this question?
contrex

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:47 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Yes.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:43 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

contrex wrote:

Thanks.
Tow questions remain:
1) Are both ]Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts and Freethought Feeding Frenzy two magazine?

2) Does " NO gradations" mean "(there are) no different levels (all at the same level_"?

Quote:

Who would like to answer these two questions?
contrex

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:15 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "magazine", or did you mean "magazines"? Those two short interjections appear to be thoughts of Dawkins.

Quote:

Yes.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 08:11 pm
Thanks.
Does "Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts" mean "turmoil in the pigeon house"? What does it mean?
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:00 pm
@contrex,
Here, you’ve provided disparate examples of instances where the phrase “at its most” or “at its (superlative)” is used. Some of them are similar to the one oristar provided such as “at its most tasty,” “at its tastiest,” “at is most fundamental,” “at its most excruciating” and “at its most basic.”

However, you included ones that follow what I’ve been pointing out, that the phrase is typically grammatical (as compared to the idiomatic uses you’ve illustrated) when the adjectives describe something else in the sentence, e.g. a point, as I previously suggested, or state or level, as you did, such as, “at its most potent the closer the prefix is to the verbal root,” “at its most active when short of wind.
contrex

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 12:19 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
However, you included ones that follow what I’ve been pointing out, that the phrase is typically grammatical (as compared to the idiomatic uses you’ve illustrated) when the adjectives describe something else in the sentence, e.g. a point, as I previously suggested, or state or level, as you did, such as, “at its most potent the closer the prefix is to the verbal root,” “at its most active when short of wind.

The adjectives describe the noun they follow; whether something else is explicitly written out, or implied, makes no difference.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 12:25 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Thanks. Does "Pandemonium in the Pigeon-lofts" mean "turmoil in the pigeon house"? What does it mean?

It is a simile; pigeons gather in flocks and when alarmed the whole flock may suddenly fly about in a panic; the response of some people to Dawkins' statement (that the sexual assault by his teacher was not the worst event of his life) is compared to the turmoil in a pigeon loft if e.g. a cat had got in there. There is a phrase "to set the cat among the pigeons" which means "to cause a turmoil". Sometimes English people will say that something potentially alarming might "frighten the horses" when there are no horses present, only people.

knaivete

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 04:58 am
@contrex,
Quote:
It is a simile

It is not a simile, "pandemonium in the pigeon lofts" is not a comparison.
contrex

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 05:07 am
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

Quote:
It is a simile

It is not a simile, "pandemonium in the pigeon lofts" is not a comparison.

It is an implied simile. Why do you keep arguing with me?

knaivete

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 05:22 am
@contrex,
Quote:
It is an implied simile.

Yes, it is a metaphor.