cohesive force

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:30 pm
I believe that cohesive force is originated due to the electric and magnetic interaction between the molecules of same type if there intermolecular separation is very small and in the range of size of atom.And this cohesive force follows inverse square law ie cohesive force is inversely proportional to the distance between the molecules.
Is my opinion is really right or wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 815 • Replies: 2
No top replies

RealEyes

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:27 am
@krishna basnet,
Quote:
inversely proportional to the distance between the molecules.

You mean inversely proportional to the square of the distance, yes?

I don't feel as though I adequately grasp what you are asking. Perhaps this link may guide your thoughts: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html
krishna basnet

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:58 am
@RealEyes,
Thanks for response and sending me links.I know that gravitational,electric and magnetic force all follows inverse square law.So i simply assume that cohesive force also follows a inverse square law as it was mainly originated by the cause of electrostatic and magnetic force between molecules.But in the nature,there is also presence of force which never follows a inverse square law like nuclear force and weak forces.Can I say that;
cohesive force = 1/(intermolecular separation)^n where n>0
because we know that the electrostatic and magnetic interaction between molecules increases as separation between them decreases.
0 Replies