Introduction to Philosophy

Neoquixote

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
(i am a young guy without much philosophy knowledge.) i suppose the core of philosophy is contemplation, but contemplate on what? i think it's not on the nomenclature or profound concepts or complex definitions or those obscure theories, but on what you are curious about, on the underlying principle of your speciality and anything could lead to universal understanding of some aspect of your life or of the world.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:10 pm
I just fear the laziness that can arise from this. It seems like only a surface level can be obtained by the contemplation of a topic without accessing others that have contemplated the same concepts.

Do you need to be an encyclopedia - no, no one likes a person with a Nietzsche style memory and depth - but can you contemplate in a vacuum - I don;t think so - and unless you have a shed load of really philosophical buddies or you enjoy reinventing the wheel - you should read a little by some really smart people.

I know for me, after really delving into Epicurus I never understood myself or the hedonist argument in all its validity.

TF
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:14 pm
the base of contemplatation is not vacum but your knowledge about hte universe.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:51 pm
balance
thethinkfactory wrote:
I just fear the laziness that can arise from this. It seems like only a surface level can be obtained by the contemplation of a topic without accessing others that have contemplated the same concepts.

Do you need to be an encyclopedia - no, no one likes a person with a Nietzsche style memory and depth - but can you contemplate in a vacuum - I don;t think so - and unless you have a shed load of really philosophical buddies or you enjoy reinventing the wheel - you should read a little by some really smart people.

I know for me, after really delving into Epicurus I never understood myself or the hedonist argument in all its validity.

TF

TF, good point about the laziness. The thing I fear is: if an impressionable beginner reads a few really good convincing philosophers, will s/he then forever be slanted toward those sages?

That is, does one's philosophy tend to become a carbon-copy of the philosopher?

The laziness of simply reading a few excellent philosophers and simply adopting their philosophy.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:32 am
tcis: Fortunately I haven't fallen into that trap, in fact I'm avoiding schools.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
I think that is where you should interview your teachers before you become a student.

If they are all about pushing thier philosophy or a certain slant on you then don't be thier student.

I hope to teach my students to interogate all of the philosophers and ideas I present - to mine them for the truth as they see it - and give reasons why they think it is so.

Do you need to go to school or read to be a philosopher - no. BUt the vast majority of the greats knew what thier predesessors had to say.

That is why Nietzsche taught philology and why Aristotle gave in his books what EVERYONE said before him. It allowed him to better understand his position. Don't adopt - interrogate.

TF
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:52 am
Woopsie, I meant to say schools of thought.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
You perchance read any Locke, as your name would imply?

Can't go wrong with the old guys.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:32 am
Thalion wrote:
..........Can't go wrong with the old guys.

you most definitely 'can'!

they didn't know squat, compared to what we have discovered, and figured out today; they were working in a mist of ignorance, rather impressive considering, but 'historic' now! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:02 pm
As long as you don't accept everything that you read as true, which you still have to do today, you can still get something out of reading them. I've learned a lot by reading books that I completely disagreed with. It forces you to think about something, you must always doubt anything that you read. Sometimes it's better to reach your own conclusion by disagreeing with something then to have the logic fed to you. I'm not saying that modern texts that are more accurate aren't worth while.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:28 pm
I think the trick is with the ancients is that with many things - we are no closer today to figuring them out than we were 2000 years ago.

Take Virtue Ethics for instance - so passe until about 2 years ago - now they seem to be making a come back.

I agree with BoGo to a degree - I think what we are saying today is just as ignorant the ancients. Meaning in 2000 years people will say "you mean they actually believed 'x'".

I think what has become science needs to be simply ignored. No on takes Thales comment on water very seriously anymore - but what about Platonic realism - still as 'valid' to the theist today as it was to Plato back then - or Aristotles Final cause - can it really be ignored by science - what does that do for us?

I think many of the questions are still valid - I think BoGo is talking about the scientific discoveries here.

TF
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:37 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Thalion wrote:

they didn't know squat, compared to what we have discovered, and figured out today; they were working in a mist of ignorance, rather impressive considering, but 'historic' now! Rolling Eyes

That, I most humbly submit, is a great load of codswollop. If one is to learn philosophy, one must start with the "classic" philosophers. If you don't understand them, you'll probably never fully understand the modern philosophers.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:46 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
BoGoWo wrote:
Thalion wrote:

That, I most humbly submit, is a great load of codswollop. If one is to learn philosophy, one must start with the "classic" philosophers. If you don't understand them, you'll probably never fully understand the modern philosophers.

But we must be careful who we listen to, even if they are supposedly a genius.
The thing I always wondered about is: Why are people so fond of quoting and following dudes like Nietzsche? He had nervous breakdowns, fell down and couldn't get up in his 40s, never fully recovered. I always wondered if his philosophy actually had something to with his breakdowns?
0 Replies