Introduction to Philosophy

Locke15

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:23 pm
'Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.'

I haven't taken any classes in Philosophy but as of late I have developed an interest. Could anyone please give me a brief introduction, or suggest a novel or website? I would love to join the debates in this section of the forum but I'm afraid I'm not properly equipped.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,386 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:56 pm
Locke, None of us are "properly equipped." LOL Just jump in and post your opinion, and see what kind of response/retort you get. A good way to learn from the "experts." Wink
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:49 pm
I would strongly recommend the first philosophy book I read in 1954, The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. It's available in paperback in any library and in most used book stores. It will feed your interest. Bon Voyage.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 01:30 am
JLNobody: Thank you for the suggestion

Cicerone: Im not really worried about joining the conversations its just that I would enjoy them more if I understood philosophy better.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:42 am
I'll second JLN's recommendation of Durant's "Story of Philosophy," with one important caveat. Durant first wrote this book in 1926; a second edition was published in the 1950s with only minor changes. Thus, Durant's view of the history of philosophy is quite clearly set in the 1920s, which shows in the amount of attention he pays to figures like Herbert Spencer and George Santayana, who are now regarded as rather secondary philosophers (in contrast, Henri Bergson, unfashionable for quite some time, is making something of a comeback). As an introduction to some of the great themes in classical philosophy, however, Durant is still one of the best.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 10:04 am
By all means, read and participate. That's how we all learn new subjects.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 10:11 am
and if you want to combine "philosophy" with 'fitness training - weights' try Bertrand Russell's "History of Western World Philosophy".

[that reminds me, also add in "The Lotus and the Robot" by Artur Koestler, which beautifully describes the 'gulf' in thinking between east and west.]
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:58 am
Thank you all
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:50 pm
I teach intro to phil at Cy-Fair College in Cypress Texas... but I am loathe to recommend some sort of text to get you started... they are all so - well text like.

But a fun way of starting is "The Consolations of Philosophy" by Alain De Botton. He is an artist and writes a fun and easy read. It is not rigorous but not too shallow as well.

Good luck,

TF
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
I am with BoGoWo - and Bertrand.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:14 pm
dlowan wrote:
I am with BoGoWo - and Bertrand.

nice to have you aboard, wabbit!
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:13 pm
no books
Sometimes I think the best introduction to philosophy is to avoid reading any books on the subject.

This is only a bit tongue in cheek.

Okay, I'm ready for the onslaught.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:13 pm
I don't know, I've never read any philosophical books but I post in the philosophy section pretty heavily.

Remember, the first philosophers had no teachers. Just do whatever you want. I have noticed, however, that sometimes previous knowledge of a subject through reading of other people's material can hamper the discussion somewhat.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:25 am
I think reading nothing can be dangerous... you tend to only have opinions that have obvious problems and refutations because you don't know the history of the argument.

However, reading too much seems to lead to paraysis through analysis... So balance it.

TF
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:24 pm
Good, TF. A very sober conclusion.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:13 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
and if you want to combine "philosophy" with 'fitness training - weights' try Bertrand Russell's "History of Western World Philosophy".
Quote:

yea, this book is a instrumental for a person who does not major in phylosophy but have intense interest in it and want to get a wide perspective of western philosophy through history. i am one of such guys. Although i 've not finished reading it, i like it.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:31 pm
Individual wrote:
I don't know, I've never read any philosophical books but I post in the philosophy section pretty heavily.

Remember, the first philosophers had no teachers. Just do whatever you want. I have noticed, however, that sometimes previous knowledge of a subject through reading of other people's material can hamper the discussion somewhat.

i think real original philosophy emanates from the investigation of nature and social science, from the understanding of history, religion and politics, from the evaluation of human and personal life, and from any other arts and sciences but not from the acquaintance with previous philosophy theory per se. the knowledge on philosophy history maybe could only give birth to some kind of philosophy of philosophy history.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:42 pm
I haven't been on the forum for quite some time, thank you for all the replies. thethinkfactory reached a good conclusion which I shall keep in mind in the meantime try to refrain from violent outbursts if my make foolish comments in any of the threads Smile.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:45 pm
Read this, Locke. Then don't believe one word of it. Smile

http://www.anesi.com/q0033.htm

Frankly, I just enjoy discussing ideas and things that make us who we are.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:56 pm
Everything I read letty left my mind as quickly as it entered. Ironically my name originates from the famous philosopher yet my knowledge of philosophy is miniscule.
0 Replies