Discovery Channel rapped over 'Shark Week'

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 12:43 pm
http://www.care2.com/causes/whats-shark-week-without-sharks.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+causes%2Fenvironment+%28Causes%3A+Environment%29

Quote:
It’s time for the 27th annual Shark Week on the Discovery Channel, featuring a solid week of shark-centric programming for viewers who just can’t get enough of…factually incorrect fear-mongering stories about sharks.

Sharks are the villain everyone loves to hate, from Jaws to endless B-movies on the SyFy Channel, but in fact, the real enemy is humans. Worldwide, sharks are in critical danger, and we’re the only ones who can save them. It’s time to put down the remote and take up the cause of shark conservation, because it won’t be too long before Shark Week is little more than a series of antique horror films about a superorder of fish that used to be abundant in the world’s oceans.

The Discovery Channel has been criticized in the past for its unfair depiction of sharks as monsters out to chow down on humans, and it’s pledged to do better this year, but many critics are skeptical. Scientist Christie Wilcox crunched the numbers on Discovery’s programming and found only three blocks that are likely to be based in actual fact — which leaves nine filled with fear-based depictions of sharks. Not a great ratio, Discovery, especially for a network that claims to be educating members of the public about conservation issues.

Things that are more dangerous than sharks: toilets, air fresheners, lightning, falls and buckets. These apex predators (the sharks, not the buckets) are focused on what they find in the sea, not on humans. And as apex predators, they play a critical role in biodiversity, sustainability and the equilibrium of marine ecosystems.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/whats-shark-week-without-sharks.html#ixzz3AIbAW4Ha

Comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,805 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 01:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Shark week is great fun. And compared to how zombies are portrayed, sharks get off pretty easy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 02:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

Quote:
It’s time for the 27th annual Shark Week on the Discovery Channel,
featuring a solid week of shark-centric programming for viewers
who just can’t get enough of…factually incorrect fear-mongering stories about sharks.

Sharks are the villain everyone loves to hate,
I dissent.
I don t hate sharks, nor do I fear them.
Thus far, thay have had the decency to stay out
of our swimming pool. (I guess that 's a racist remark.)
I petted a bull shark once, in New Orleans b4 Katrina.

David
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:03 pm
Shark attacks here in Hawaii are relatively common. You hear of a couple or more every year. Usually, of course, it's due to swimmer carelessness and a disregard of life guard alerts.
0 Replies