BBB's favorite garlic infused flank steak recipe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:58 pm
This is my family's favorite beef recipe. My children always asked me to make it for them. Its wonderful served with a side of rice and sauted mushrooms.

Perfect Garlic Infused Flank Steak
By BumbleBeeBoogie

1 flank steak (about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds

Marinade:

1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 to 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf Italian parsley

Place the flank steak on a cutting board and, with a fork, pierce the steak's surface on both sides. This allows the marinade to penetrate the steak more deeply.

Combine the marinade ingredients and the flank steak in a large size sealable plastic bag. Massage the bag to thoroughly coat the steak with marinade. Lay the plastic bag flat on a plate in the refrigerator and marinate over night or for at least 8 hours, turning over the bag at least twice.

When ready to cook, remove the steak from the marinade and pat the steak dry with a paper towel or leave traces of marinade on the steak as you wish.

Grill the steak in the oven or on a grill over high heat, 3 inches from the heat source, for 4 minutes per side for medium-rate meat, taking care not to over cook.

Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

To serve, slice the steak thinly on the diagonal (not straight up and down to avoid tough meat) and arrange on a platter. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,992 • Replies: 12
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:31 am
Thanks for a great recipe. I'm off to the grocery store!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:21 pm
BBB I'm salivating like a dog here, but before I can proceed I have to ask what is a "flank steak"? We must call it something else.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:23 pm
kev, flank is that sort of flat steak that looks like it has stripes, because of the large grain. Hope that helps. They are kinda big and squareish in appearence.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:03 pm
What is flank steak?

http://www.ochef.com/66.htm
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:04 pm
Thanks Cav, although I'm still in the dark here.

cjhsa, your link leaves me in no doubt that this is a tough cut of meat and yet it says it can be pan fried, ---I really dont understand?????
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:07 pm
It is a tough cut of meat. It must be cooked to medium rare then sliced across the grain, or it will be a chewy disaster.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:16 pm
http://www.seekingsources.com/cuts_of_beef.htm

What a coincidence. I just bought a flank steak this very morning. I find flank steak to be a very versatile piece of meat. I have broiled it, braised it, and stuffed and baked it.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:18 pm
cjhsa wrote:
It is a tough cut of meat. It must be cooked to medium rare then sliced across the grain, or it will be a chewy disaster.

Now I'm even more confused. If this is a tough cut of meat and it is only cooked "rare" in other words "barely cooked" how does it get to be "chewable"

I really dont get this, is your beef in the US more tender than ours or something?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:32 pm
http://www.balcorp.com/beef/flank/flank.htm

You can practically see the striations on the meat in this pic. If you cut it very thinly, across the grain, on the diagonal, it will be pretty tender.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:33 pm
Never said rare, said medium rare. The key is letting it rest then slicing it across the grain.

Imagine a bundle of long twisted strands of fiber. If you cut the bundle into short lengths, the now shorter fibers fall apart easily. Same thing is true for meat.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:16 pm
Flank, when well marinated, can be served rare, sliced thinly across the grain, as cjhsa suggested.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:17 pm
Oh, and I second the resting process.
0 Replies