Word shortening question

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 11:22 pm
123 Main St. Word STREET represented by "St" but which letter "t" from street is actually being used in "St", first or last?
Please try to support your answers with the link to sources.

Food for thought:
Dr=Doctor, Rd=Road, Blvd=Boulevard, Dr=Drive, Apt=Apartment, Ctrl=Control, Brkyn=Brooklyn,

Thank you in advance!

roger

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 11:32 pm
@GoodMan6000,
Suite is often abbreviated as 'Ste'. They use the last, and only 'e'.
GoodMan6000

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 11:38 pm
@roger,
roger i like your example, send more if you could, but is there a grammatical rule? I wonder why I can't find anything to support this!
contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:11 am
@GoodMan6000,
GoodMan6000 wrote:
but is there a grammatical rule? I wonder why I can't find anything to support this!

There is no single 'rule'. This is not a matter of grammar, but of style or convention. Abbreviations are created for convenience. Different abbreviations of the same word are possible - for example in the British and Commonwealth armies the rank of Private is shortened to Pte whereas the US Army and Marine Corps use Pvt. The word abbreviation can itself be represented by abbr, abbrv or abbrev. The Wikipedia entry entitled "Abbreviation" is quite informative.

nyrn365

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:00 am
@contrex,
There is no single 'rule'? THERE IS ACTUALLY THE RULE FOR THESE TYPES: BLVD, APT, PKWY... BUT CAN'T RECALL ITS NAME. IT SHOULD BE ONLINE SOMEWHERE.

THE ONES THAT HAVE NO RULE ARE THOSE WHERE ONLY FIRST LETTERS ARE USED: AVE, ENG, INC, ESC, DEL.
GoodMan6000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:04 am
@nyrn365,
Please try to recall the name...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:34 am
@nyrn365,
nyrn365 wrote:

There is no single 'rule'? THERE IS ACTUALLY THE RULE FOR THESE TYPES: BLVD, APT, PKWY... BUT CAN'T RECALL ITS NAME. IT SHOULD BE ONLINE SOMEWHERE.

THE ONES THAT HAVE NO RULE ARE THOSE WHERE ONLY FIRST LETTERS ARE USED: AVE, ENG, INC, ESC, DEL.

You can disregard the above quoted post. An idiot who shouts in capitals and provides a stupid and wrong answer, quoting some US-only street name abbreviations. Maybe the USPS, Fedex, the Government Printing Office, etc, have lists of these, but there is still no 'rule' in a grammatical sense.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:35 am
@nyrn365,
THOSE ARE NOT RULES. THOSE ARE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES WHICH DO NOT FOLLOW ANY RULES.

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:37 am
@roger,
No need to shout!
roger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 02:00 am
@contrex,
Somebody told me how to use Caps Lock. I tried it, and it was GOOD.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 06:47 am
I see a coward (and fool) has been down voting.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:11 pm
When I print labels, the stamps.com software gets downright uppity if, when I copy and paste, my customer has used Str for street or avn for avenue, regardless of the fact that it may seem obvious. So, for USPS, at least, there is an accepted convention.
0 Replies

nyrn365

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 02:27 pm
thanks to all
contrex

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 04:17 pm
@nyrn365,
nyrn365 wrote:
thanks to all

Who the hell are you?
0 Replies