What's a...

Pitter

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:14 pm
All of the car makes below are listed in the tax schedule of the Colombian Ministry of Transport. I haven't ever heard of these. Anyone else?

Aleko
Allstale
Arrabella
Ebro
Fanta
FSO Polonez
GAZ
Gomoble
Gurgel (this seems to be a line of Brazillain 4x4s)
Kartex
Mahindra
Minicord
Prince
Puma
UAZ
Wartburg
Warzawa
Zastava
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,584 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:17 pm
Nope. I've heard of, and seen a gogomobile though. It was a wierd little three wheel vehicle with the door in the front. I mean, the windshield and all just swung out and you just stepped out. This was in the late fifties. Maybe it's the same as your gomobile.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:56 pm
Aleko: Export name of the Moskvitch 2141 built by AZLK in Russia.
Allstale: No idea.
Arrabella: No idea.
Ebro: Truck division of Motor Iberica. Bought by Nissan in the 80's.
Fanta: Soft drink owned by Coca Cola. :wink:
FSO Polonez: FSO was a Polish carmaker. Polonez was a model.
GAZ: Russian company that makes 4x4's, trucks and buses.
Gomoble: Must mean Gogomobile, as Roger said.
Gurgel (this seems to be a line of Brazillain 4x4s) Minicars too. Bankrupt.
Kartex: No Idea.
Mahindra: Indian company that makes light commercials and tractors.
Minicord: No Idea.
Prince: Merged with Nissan 1966. Created the first Skyline GTR's.
Puma: Brazilian sports car maker. Ford bought name in 1998.
UAZ: Russian. Mainly 4x4's.
Wartburg: East German. Been around since 1896. Opel bought factory.
Warzawa: A model made by FSO. Means Warsaw.
Zastava: Original name of Yugo's. Changed to Yugo in the 80's.

Let me know if you would like to know more. Smile
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 01:23 am
Arrabella is a classic car made by Borgward.(Germany)

www.classiccars.de/Oldyrent/plz5/images/57549.htm
www.pietro-frua.de/1959_lloyd.htm

Peter :wink:
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:35 am
Well done Adrian! Thanks. You certainly get the prize for obscure car knowlege.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:20 pm
I finaly saw a Zastava. Didn't look anything like the Yugos I've seen in the US so maybe it was pre 80s. It looked like a little Fiat 600 (not sure of that designation).
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:44 pm
Zastava used to make a version of the Fiat 600. They kept building it long after Fiat stopped.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:26 am
So I guess they can repair the thing using Fiat parts? I remember reading a test of some Chinese jeep in a US car magazine in the seventies. Instead of worrying about a dealer network for parts and repairs they just sold the thing with a full set of blueprints of all the components that the owner could take to a machine shop when something broke.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 04:23 pm
Pitter:

Allstate: An American car made by the car maker Kaiser/Frazer. One model was called the "Henry J".
It could be purchased at (believe it or not) Sears-Roebuck. You've hear of Allstate.

Warburg was a German car that, along with the better known DKW, had a three cylinder, two-cycle engine, and front wheel drive. I believe it was made in what was then East Germany.

Zastava: I may be wrong on this one, but I think it was made in Yugoslavia. By the folks who gave the world the inimitable YUGO.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 04:29 pm
Peter S.

I think the word Arrabella connected to Borgward is a mistake.

I recall a Borgward convertible named "Isabella" presumably named after Herr Borgward's daughter.

This is fun. Reminescing on these obscure mchines.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 04:38 pm
Some other rare dudes:

MAACO
Kaiser/Frazer
Reliant
Messerschmidt
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:02 pm
One more:

Isseta
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:14 pm
I owned a Saab 93 with the three cylinder 2 cycle motor which I was told was purchased from DKW. Which reminds me I have seen quite a slew of (to an American) obscure old car makes here in Colombia including a couple not mentioned above that threw me for a loop: Olcit and a '67 Hino but to date I haven't seen a Saab of any year. Rambling on, I saw a big Volvo presence in neighboring Peru both big trucks and cars even old 544 models. Also Scania buses and trucks but no Saab cars. Another surprise for me in Colombia is seeing '50s model Mercury and Desoto 2ton trucks and Fargo pick-ups.

I knew you could buy a complete house from the Sears catalog at one time but hadn't heard you could buy a Kaiser. Colombian officials usually spell English words or names phonetically the way it sounds to them so that Allstale in the list above must be Allstate.
0 Replies