What are some ways to use honey?

jora

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:24 am
What are some of the many ways to use honey? (Cooking or otherwise) I need some ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,465 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:06 am
Well... First you get her nekkid in bed and then you drip... Oh, Embarrassed nevahmind! lol

I use it mostly in glazes or marinades for meats but sometimes I just use it in place of regular granulated sugar in other recipies.

You can also mix some in with beer and it makes a good fertilizer for plants and the lawn. Wink
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:13 am
My two favorite ways to use honey with food:

Spread it on toast and pour over salmon after baking or broiling.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:15 am
You can substitute honey for granulated sugar in many baking recipes. Just use half the amount of honey to sugar called for in the recipe. Honey also works nicely in vinaigrettes, especially balsamic vinaigrettes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:16 am
I eats me peas with honey,
I've done it all me life.
They do taste sorta funny,
But it keeps 'em on me knife.

Sorry, jora. I use honey in my coffee sometimes when I'm out of sweet and low, but I've never cooked with it.

My, my, fishin'. Haven't you ever used honey mustard on a trout sammy? Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:17 am
I use it to cook with and put it in tea. You can also use it as an ingredient in homemade facial masks, but that's a waste of the good stuff. I recently found dried honey (it looks like tan couscous) and honey body powder (grin).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:22 am
Letty wrote:
My, my, fishin'. Haven't you ever used honey mustard on a trout sammy? Razz

I'm afraid I've been a bit remmiss there Miss Letty! I've used honey on broiled salmon steaks or fillets but I usually just bread (or corn meal) and pan fry trout.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:23 am
You can bury someone up to the neck in the sun next to an ant hill, cut their eyelids so they can't close their eyes and then cover them with honey.

Hours of family entertainment......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:31 am
PSST ! Hey kid! Wanna job as a military intelligence interrogator?
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:40 am
Try replacing the sugar in peanut butter cookies with honey--I don't remember the exact ratio for replacement (maybe fishin' knows?). My mom used to make p.b. cookies this way--they're great.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:42 am
as a wee lad i was partial to a little honey in my hot oatmeal...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:43 am
Lab - cav just posted the rate!

Also - honey in plain yogurt - yummy! Or honey in warm milk.
0 Replies

cavfancier

cavfancier wrote:
You can substitute honey for granulated sugar in many baking recipes. Just use half the amount of honey to sugar called for in the recipe. Honey also works nicely in vinaigrettes, especially balsamic vinaigrettes.

There ya go lab rat. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Just before you go to bed, when you have a cold, add some honey to a glass of (boiling) water & lots of lemon juice. Just the thing to give our head & nose some relief & help you sleep.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:14 am
I use honey instead of sugar in my salad sauces, yummy with mustard, garlic, salt pepper, and some herbs, with a nice sherry vinegar, top off with a really good olive oil. To be used with a nice mache salad, some croutons, and perhaps some apple cubes. Serve with grilled tuna, or grilled chicken.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:38 am
my favorite is Honey Whole Wheat bread.... I use the recipe in the Yassahara Bread Book.... I use a little more honey than the recipe calls for..... yummm.....

Also.... I'm remembering something I heard many years ago..... you can ease your pollen allergies by eating locally produced honey for a month or two prior to the heavy pollen season..... it builds up your immune system.....

Also..... I remember something about not feeding honey to infants, because of the bacteria in honey??? I hope I'm remembering that correctly....

"Milk and Honey on the other side".... from the song "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore".....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:41 am
oops--sorry, cav. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading. Embarrassed
(Thanks for posting the ratio, by the way)
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:49 am
honey is a good substatute for any kind of sugar in a recipie, it makes a more cakey brownie, and moist cakes.
0 Replies