child support his investments

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:21 pm
my ex owns property, if he refuses to pay child support, can the courts go after his condo?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:23 pm
@QueenCandy23,
Seek out an attorney who knows about child support.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:28 pm
@QueenCandy23,
Why don't you start by filing for child support with the assistance of a lawyer?

Keep in mind your resources, as well as your fiance's (as you will be merging households if you have not done so already), may be considered in assessing your ex's responsibility to his daughter with you.

The other 4 children he has, and the payments he makes/has made to them, will be factored in.

You do seem to be looking for some way to take the guy down.

Suggesting that he should contribute to the support of your fiance's child really doesn't reflect well on you.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 03:14 pm
Has he refused to pay child support?
If he has, he's a louse and you shouldn't care if the courts make him lose his condo to pay it
QueenCandy23

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 03:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
No he hasn't refused to pay, actually he wants to pay outside of court but sometime he is inconsistent like when he switches his job. I want to file so that I know the money is coming in each month. But my question is can the courts seize his property of he does not pay child support?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 07:38 pm
@QueenCandy23,
QueenCandy23 wrote:

No he hasn't refused to pay, actually he wants to pay outside of court but sometime he is inconsistent like when he switches his job. I want to file so that I know the money is coming in each month. But my question is can the courts seize his property of he does not pay child support?

Yes you should file because that'll make him pay regular to avoid going to jail!
I don't know if the courts would seize his property, but that'll never happen unless he doesn't keep up the payments, so don't worry about it..Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 11:18 pm
@QueenCandy23,
OK, I'm confused. Is the OP asking for support for a fiancé's child or children, or for child/children she and ex had together. In Maryland, family courts only consider income of the actual parents of children, not fiancé's or new spouse's income. They cannot attach the wages of fiancé's or boyfriends to support children. They only consider the parents income, not grandparents, or friends, or new spouses.

I've read this question 4 times but I can't find any mention of fiancé's or 4 children. It might be there, but I couldn't find it. Seriously, were any entries deleted?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 12:14 am
@glitterbag,
Ok, never mind, I found the info on another thread. Because your ex has 4 other children, and if you live in the US, a family court will determine what amount should be paid. You may wind up with less, but you won't get anything if you don't file.
QueenCandy23

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:27 pm
@glitterbag,
OK thank you. Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
But Queencandy, even if the court does seize his property in the future, why should you care?
It'd be HIS problem not yours..Wink
QueenCandy23

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 07:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I am not asking because I care about him lolz. I'm asking because I don't know how much liquid money he has, but I know what his assets are Very Happy
0 Replies

personalinjury1

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 01:52 am
It is better to get in touch with a lawyer. Legally he cant refuse to pay child support. Make a list of gos assets and meet a lawyer....

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 02:44 pm
@QueenCandy23,
QueenCandy23 wrote:
But my question is can the courts seize his property of he does not pay child support?

Is his condo a rental property?

Child support payments often become judgments each month they are delinquent. If his arrearage is large, you should get it reduced to a judgment, by the Court. If you haven't gone to court yet, you would obviously need to do that before you could get a judgment. Once you get a judgment, you could pursue his assets as you would trying to collect any judgment. Using the state/government resources to help you is advisable, since they can usually grab any tax refund due to the obligor, and pay you that money to offset the child support arrears.

If his condo is his primary residence, you will likely not be able to attach it. But you might be able to place a child support lien against it.

You really need to either contact a lawyer who can help you obtain the child support, or use the state/government agency charged with enforcing child support payments -- which is usually free.
0 Replies