Strange English:deadlights and ampytated?

oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 07:39 am
@oristarA,

Well, let's continue.

Still two questions remain:

1) Failed to understand "So it was with the Cassandra." Does it mean "so the unfortunate event (the perish of Roberts' men) came along with the predictions"?

2) Does "so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck witb the red blood and fit to sink with gold" mean "so it came along with the old Walrus (Flint's old ship), because I've seen the omen that it (Flint's old ship) was suitable to sink with gold aboard (the ship)"?
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 08:29 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Are you talking about history? Or is it just fictional?

Don't they have Wikipedia on your planet?

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 08:34 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Well, let's continue.

1) Failed to understand "So it was with the Cassandra." Does it mean "so the unfortunate event (the perish of Roberts' men) came along with the predictions"?

2) Does "so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck witb the red blood and fit to sink with gold" mean "so it came along with the old Walrus (Flint's old ship), because I've seen the omen that it (Flint's old ship) was suitable to sink with gold aboard (the ship)"?

So it was = it was thus...

That was Roberts' men, that was, and comed of changing names to their ships — Royal Fortune and so on. Now, what a ship was christened, so let her stay, I says. So it was with the Cassandra, [whose name was unchanged] as brought us all safe home from Malabar,[i.e. not an unlucky ship] after England took the Viceroy of the Indies; so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck witb the red blood [covered with blood but not defeated] and fit to sink [heavily loaded, not really likely to sink because of that] with gold."

When someone is "fit to die of laughter" they are not really likely to die, they are just very amused. An expression with "fit to" is a dramatic exaggeration - fit to burst (with excitement or surprise), fit to be tied (when a person is so angry ("mad") that they are said to resemble an insane person who should be tied up)

oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:23 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Well, let's continue.

So it was = it was thus...

That was Roberts' men, that was, and comed of changing names to their ships — Royal Fortune and so on. Now, what a ship was christened, so let her stay, I says. So it was with the Cassandra, [whose name was unchanged] as brought us all safe home from Malabar,[i.e. not an unlucky ship] after England took the Viceroy of the Indies; so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck witb the red blood [covered with blood but not defeated] and fit to sink [heavily loaded, not really likely to sink because of that] with gold."

When someone is "fit to die of laughter" they are not really likely to die, they are just very amused. An expression with "fit to" is a dramatic exaggeration - fit to burst (with excitement or surprise), fit to be tied (when a person is so angry ("mad") that they are said to resemble an insane person who should be tied up)

Cool.
So "Now, what a ship was christened, so let her stay, I says. So it was with the Cassandra" mean "Now, what a ship was named, let this name stay the same, I says. So it was thus the Cassandra (the name of a ship is the Cassandra; the name is not changed so it brings "us" safely home)"?

I also wonder what does "a-muck" means.
McTag

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:31 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
Does "so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck with the red blood and fit to sink with gold" mean "so it came along with the old Walrus (Flint's old ship), because I've seen the omen that it (Flint's old ship) was suitable to sink with gold aboard (the ship)"?

No, it doesn't mean that.
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 10:04 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
Does "so it was with the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck with the red blood and fit to sink with gold" mean "so it came along with the old Walrus (Flint's old ship), because I've seen the omen that it (Flint's old ship) was suitable to sink with gold aboard (the ship)"?

No, it doesn't mean that.

Oh, this answer is so loose and lazy that it leads us to think that McTag is busy in a party - a dithyrambic party...
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Quote:
the old Walrus, Flint's old ship, as I've seen a-muck witb the red blood [covered with blood but not defeated]

I also wonder what does "a-muck" means.

If you look carefully at my previous reply which you quoted you will see I helpfully told you this already.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:47 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
this answer is so loose and lazy

You should not complain in such an ungrateful fashion about McTag, who seems to be a decent fellow, who is not obliged to answer, who has helped you a great deal, and who has stood up valiantly to a certain troll. Also I suspect it is too hot for dithyrambic pursuits where he is.

oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:58 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:
this answer is so loose and lazy

You should not complain in such an ungrateful fashion about McTag, who seems to be a decent fellow, who is not obliged to answer, who has helped you a great deal, and who has stood up valiantly to a certain troll. Also I suspect it is too hot for dithyrambic pursuits where he is.

I was simply joking. I am sorry if McTag's offended.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 01:44 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
too hot for dithyrambic pursuits

Thank you Con
http://onelook.com/?loc=lemma&w=dithyramb

It's not everyday….
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 02:56 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Best not to, your sense of humour doesn't translate very well.
oristarA

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:49 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Best not to, your sense of humour doesn't translate very well.

Yes. Accepted.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:57 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:

I am not offended. It's quite amusing to sometimes help (and sometimes not) a Chinese learner unravel eighteenth-century dialect, nautical dialect at that, or at least one author's version of it.
You do turn up with the most amazing variety of texts, Ori.
Even although the sun is not over the yardarm, it being not much later than seagull-fart, I'm off to splice the mainbrace.
oristarA

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:46 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

I am not offended. It's quite amusing to sometimes help (and sometimes not) a Chinese learner unravel eighteenth-century dialect, nautical dialect at that, or at least one author's version of it.
You do turn up with the most amazing variety of texts, Ori.
Even although the sun is not over the yardarm, it being not much later than seagull-fart, I'm off to splice the mainbrace.

Would any one like to explain "off to splice the mainbrace"? Does it mean "trying to make clear all (pirate) things happened in that era"?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:53 am
@oristarA,
I think Tag is off to have a drink, splice the mainbrace is a nautical term meaning to issue the crew with a drink.
0 Replies