Best Security Freeware - virus, spyware, spam removal, etc.

Craven de Kere

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:36 am
I don't use any spyware "blocking" tools. I don't need them (the only way I'll get spyware is to intentionally do so) and I don't like adding the plugins because of the problems they may cause.

As for the computers I support, it is a corporate enviroment and we disable admin level access when users can't keep their boxes spyware free.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:47 am
Thanks, Monger! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
I really about the plugins, CdK ... for lotsa folks they can be more trouble than they prevent, IMO
0 Replies

Monger

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 12:01 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Incidentally, Monger, I now rate AdAware over SpyBot (and comfortably) after a long time rating the reverse.

Agreed. I've made that reversal a while ago as well. (If I update the list later I'm sure I'll note that.)
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:21 pm
Monger, what a delightful avatar! I love it! Very Happy

OK, you can get back to business now. Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:21 pm
It's gone!!!! Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
Speaking of avatars, I just saw yours, Craven. Ouch! Shocked

(Sorry for the digression.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 21 Feb, 2005 10:03 pm
Monger - and other techies - just another thank you for this thread.

As some may know, I am having to use my old computer again - and will need to do so for at least a couple of weeks more (mebbe longer now, cos I think I got radared at 20 k over the speed limit this am!!!!! - that'll be about $500 thank you very much).

I downloaded some stuff named on this thread - like virus protection, spybot and adaware - and I may download a firewall.

Anyhow - I feel reasonably safe on the net thanks to you guys - and, after AdAware got rid of 67 nasties on the old goil, she is running better than since she was new - (though the system is clearly corrupted, still)

Your information is a teasure.

I might also add that, between you and Craven, when I took my new puter in to be de-trojaned, the shop guy, who spotted a bunny and was busily trying to sell me a new computer, was dazzled by the bits of jargon I was able to throw at him - and gave up bull-shitting and took me seriously.

Only you guys and I know on how tenuous a basis he did so!

Smoooooooooooooooches!!!
0 Replies

tamir

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
cool thanks guy i downloaded most of the files and now im really happy
0 Replies

tamir

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
omg man im soo happy now computer is finally protected a bit more lmao thanks man do u have any other links?
0 Replies

lizwood123

Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:41 am
How do you prevent spyware?
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't use any spyware "blocking" tools. I don't need them (the only way I'll get spyware is to intentionally do so) and I don't like adding the plugins because of the problems they may cause.

As for the computers I support, it is a corporate enviroment and we disable admin level access when users can't keep their boxes spyware free.

You said spyware in intentionally done. How is that? I don't realize what I am doing obviously!! What should I stay away from and what do I need to know in order to not allow spyware on my computer? Thank you for your help! Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:35 pm
Common avenues of yuckware infestation are clicking on pop-ups, pop-unders, and the like (even to close them - don't click them; place your cursor in the pop up/pop under box, then simultaneously press alt and F4, or simultaneously press Ctrl -Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager, find the window in the Applications tab, highlight it, and select "End Task", confirming when prompted), peer-to-peer file sharing, visiting adult and gambling websites, many online gaming websites, downloading "free" screensavers, toolbars, browser skins, and browsing aids, opening - even in someinstances merely viewing - emails, opening unexpected email attachments from senders known or unknown, (if you don't know who sent it, what its supposed to be, and that the known-to-you sender did in fact intentionally send it, delete it), and clicking on links received via unknown email senders or which arrive via chat or messaging clients - again, if you don't know what it is, who its from, what its supposed to do or be, and know for certain that it is safe and was intentionally sent to you by someone you know to be trustworthy, don't click it. Always have a fully updated, properly configured anti-virus and firewall in place. And never open any attachment, however received, without saving-and-scanning it first. Operating systems, chat clients, messaging clients, email clients and browsers not kept fully updated are open invitations to yuckware infestation, as are lax browser security settings.

I recommend you read through This Topic, and the updated topics linked to at the beginning of that thread.

A very good guide to prudent practice may be found at Safe Hex - Safe Computing, and I recommend those tips very highly.

Finally, there is this excellent advice, which has been around for years - undergoing periodic updates:

[url=http://castlecops.com/postlite7736-.html][u][i][b]Tony Klein[/b][/i][/u][/url] wrote:

So, How did I get infected in the first place?

You usually get infected because your security settings are too low.

Here are a number of recommendations that will help tighten them, and which will contribute to making you a less likely victim:

1) Watch what you download!
Many freeware programs, and P2P programs like Grokster, Imesh, Kazaa and others are amongst the most notorious, come with an enormous amount of bundled spyware that will eat system resources, slow down your system, clash with other installed software, or just plain crash your browser or even Windows itself.

2) Go to IE > Tools > Windows Update > Product Updates, and install ALL Security Updates listed. If you're running Windows XP, that of course includes the Service Pack 2!

It's important to always keep current with the latest security fixes from Microsoft.
Install those patches for Internet Explorer, and make sure your installation of Java VM is up-to-date. There are some well known security bugs with Microsoft Java VM which are exploited regularly by browser hijackers.

3) Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.

Now press "Custom Level."

In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to 'prompt', and 'Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to 'disable'.

Now you will be asked whether you want ActiveX objects to be executed and whether you want software to be installed.
Sites that you know for sure are above suspicion can be moved to the Trusted Zone in Internet Option/security.

So why is activex so dangerous that you have to increase the security for it?
When your browser runs an activex control, it is running an executable program. It's no different from doubleclicking an exe file on your hard drive.
Would you run just any random file downloaded off a web site without knowing what it is and what it does?

And some more advice:

4) Install Javacool's SpywareBlaster

It will protect you from all spy/foistware in it's database by blocking installation of their ActiveX objects.

Download and install, download the latest updates, and you'll see a list of all spyware programs covered by the program (NOTE: this is NOT spyware found on your computer)
Press "select all", then "kill all checked", and you're done.
The spyware that you told Spywareblaster to set the "kill bit" for won't be a hazard to you any longer.
Although it won't protect you from every form of spyware known to man, it is a very potent extra layer of protection.
Don't forget to check for updates every week or so.

There's a board at Wilderssecurity as well.

Let's also not forget that SpyBot Search and Destroy has the Immunize feature which works roughly the same way.
It can't hurt to use both.

5) Another excellent program by Javacool we recommend is SpywareGuard.
It provides a degree of real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.
It now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

6) IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Incidentally, another site with an enormous amount of information on computer security, and which is well worth a visit is http://www.wilders.org/

Finally, after following up on all these recommendations, why not run Jason Levine's Browser Security Tests.
They will provide you with an insight on how vulnerable you might still be to a number of common exploits.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:21 am
Re: How do you prevent spyware?
lizwood123 wrote:
You said spyware in intentionally done. How is that?

I just meant that the only times I get infected with spyware is when I deliberately infect a computer in order to learn something.

Thusly, I don't feel a need for software to help me prevent infection, as I know the practices that prevent infection.

Others here have posted more on how to avoid infection, but the basics are (in order of importance):

• Patch software promptly.
  • Use the right software security settings.
  • Use a good anti-virus program that is updated.
  • Don't infect yourself by bad practices (e.g. downloading and installing spyware is an obvious example of a bad practice but is probably the most common way people are infected).
0 Replies

flyboy804

Mon 13 Jun, 2005 05:59 am
bookmark
0 Replies

lizwood123

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:07 pm
Which Anti-Virus software is best?
I currently have McAfee. Is this the best anti-virus software for me to use?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:15 pm
I have McAfee too and I think it sucks. It lets things by other virus scans don't. But I'd also like to hear the expert review of McAfee since I paid for it for a year. Mad

I just downloaded AVG and have yet to test it out but my dad loves it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
Any of the major name-brand antivrus apps are good, though none are perfect. Whatever you have, make certain it is properly updated and properly configured, see to your browser, email client, messenger, and operating system security and privacy settings, and use your head.
As harsh as this sounds, far and away the greatest avenue of yuckware infestation - virus, trojan, worm, adware, spyware, what have you - is user action. The whole reason yuckware is the problem it is is that folks make it so easy for the problem to exist. Machines don't so much "get infested" as machine users invite infestations into their own machines.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 14 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
I'll drink to that - dammit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:12 am
timberlandko wrote:
Any of the major name-brand antivrus apps are good, though none are perfect. Whatever you have, make certain it is properly updated and properly configured, see to your browser, email client, messenger, and operating system security and privacy settings, and use your head.

So, they really are ok? McAfee didn't catch a trojan that the AVG scan caught. Do they each catch different things? Like McAfee missed the trojan but AVG might miss a bug McAfee catches?

Also, I know this might sound stupid but I am going to ask anyway. Very Happy Is surfing on the web (just surfing, looking up things, email, etc...) a cause for this yuckware? And if so, what do I do about it?

And I've heard so many times that Kazaa is notorious for loading all sorts of bundled spyware onto your machine. Is this the same for other programs like WinMX? Just curious. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Bella Dea wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

So, they really are ok? McAfee didn't catch a trojan that the AVG scan caught. Do they each catch different things? Like McAfee missed the trojan but AVG might miss a bug McAfee catches?

Yup, none of 'em are perfect, and one might catch something another misses, though a properly configured major brand antivirus should stop execution even of most virii it doesn't yet recognize as such.

While its best to have only one real-time antivirus running on a machine, lots of folks have a backup antivirus from a different vendor installed, but not configured for realtime, load-at-boot protection, using it only for "second opinion" scans. Configuring 2 or more antivirus applications to co-exist on one machine is something that gives some folks problems, so unless you know what you're doing, and how to configure each so neither interferes with the other, I recommend you don't go that route. There are a number of free online virus scans available for "second opinion" scans;these are not resident and active on your machine, and are not a substitute for a resident antivirus, but they are useful as backups, if for instance your own antivirus reports something it says it can't clean, or if you suspect yopu've been infected by something your antivirus missed. Below, in no particular order, is a list of some of these.

Trend Micro Free Online Scan

Panda Free Online Scan

BitDefender Free Online Scan

Symantec Free Online Scan

Kaspersky Free Online Scan

StopSign Free Online Scan

RAV Free Online Scan

McAfee Free Online Scan

IMPORTANT - Before using any of the online scans, disable your own resident antivirus, and remember to re-enable it when you've finished

Quote:
Also, I know this might sound stupid but I am going to ask anyway. Very Happy Is surfing on the web (just surfing, looking up things, email, etc...) a cause for this yuckware? And if so, what do I do about it?

Yup, just surfing, chatting, or checking email, can expose you to risk. You can minimize the risk by keeping your operating system, your browser, your email client, your chat/messaging client, your antivirus and firewall fully updated and properly configured (actually read the documentation for the app to learn how to do this). Never click on popups/popunders (close them by placing your cursor in the box, then simultaneously pressing Alt and F4 or by simultaneously pressing trl Alt Del to bring up Task Manager, and closing the window or box), never click on any link you don't absolutely know you can trust (particularly if its labled something like "Exciting Free Stuff" or "You've just got to see this" Laughing ), turn off your email client's "preview" function, delete any message attachment you don't know for sure was intentionally sent to you in specific from someone you know you can trust, and never open any attachment without scanning it first, regardless.

Quote:
And I've heard so many times that Kazaa is notorious for loading all sorts of bundled spyware onto your machine. Is this the same for other programs like WinMX? Just curious. :wink:

Whether or not a P2P filesharing app itself is bundled with yuckware (and WinMX CLAIMS it isn't - but I dunno - opinions vary, I guess, as to what is yuckware), you have no way of knowing for sure what you download via the app is safe - always save downloads to a folder from which they can be scanned before opening.
0 Replies