Cav, hotel charges $1,000 for an omlete

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:30 am
Hotel Charges $1,000 for Omelet
May 17, 7:55 AM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - It's not made of gold - just eggs, lobster, caviar and a few trimmings. But an omelet on the menu of a swanky Manhattan hotel will set you back $1,000, plus tip.

"I couldn't believe it was the price when I first saw '1,000' on the menu. I thought it was the calorie count," Virginia Marnell, a customer at Norma's restaurant in Le Parker Meridien hotel on West 57th Street, told the Daily News for Monday editions.

The omelet, which debuted May 5 and is billed as the "Zillion Dollar Frittata," has six eggs, a lobster and - here's the kicker - 10 ounces of sevruga caviar. The restaurant pays $65 an ounce for the caviar, according to Norma's general manager, Steven Pipes.

"Since we knew it was going to be a very expensive dish, we decided to have some fun with it," Pipes told the News. "It's not just a gimmick, though. It tastes good."

Beside the omelet's entry in the menu is the following message: "Norma dares you to expense this."

No one has ordered it yet.

A "budget" version of the omelet, containing only one ounce of caviar, sells for $100.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:31 am
Now that's just overkill.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:40 am
Cav
Cav, you're just jealouss because you didn't think of it first.

BBB :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:49 am
Yeah right. When clients bitch about paying $70 for a four-course dinner the last thing on my mind is a $1000 dollar omelette. Wink
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:52 am
oh Cav; you can be soooo 'plebian'!

[think of the P.R.]
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:53 am
For 1000.00 it would have to be a J-Lo's ass omelette....that I'd consider....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:55 am
"No one has ordered it yet."

Well, that says it all, doesn't it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:59 am
Cav
But, Cav, a $100 version is available for the proleteriat.

BBB
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:33 am
BiP:"For 1000.00 it would have to be a J-Lo's ass omelette....that I'd consider...."

"No one has ordered it yet."

cavfancier: "Well, that says it all, doesn't it."

uhhh, the 'ass' or the 'omelette'? Shocked

[seems to me there have been numerous 'requests' for the 'ass' in question! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:34 am
I start every day with a five egg white omelette with diced ham, pepperjack, sharp cheddar, ketchup and horseradish sauce. I just finished one.
I may have .75 in it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:36 am
might just consider having a cholesterol check done before it's too late BiP. Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:06 am
BPB, adding all that ham and cheese kinda defeats the benefits of removing the yolks, doesn't it? Laughing

Bo, J-Lo's ass may be in demand, but she's a serial marrier, and who needs that when all you want is the ass?

My biggest problem with this stupid omelette is that it really lacks artistry and tact. Anyone can throw a ton of luxury ingredients onto something and charge a crapload of money. Hey, I have a better omelette, 12 eggs, 2 lobsters, 20 oz. of caviar, topped with a whole roasted foie gras and covered with white truffle shavings. I will charge $3000.00! And...nobody will order it. The reason these ingredients cost so much is that a little goes a long way and to abuse them this way is just gaudy, but then again, very American.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:14 am
that's the most re-deek-u-lohs thing i've ever heard.

and $100.00 for an omelet (to me, my middle-classed self) is just as stupid.

plus..i don't eat eggs. :-)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:23 am
my cholesterol is under 200....there is practically zero fat and carbs in such a breakfast...it's loaded with protein.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:26 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there is practically zero fat and carbs in such a breakfast...it's loaded with protein.

I know of another breakfast that matches that description BPB
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:28 am
Nice one onyxelle. That breakfast happens to be one of my favorites, to give to others, of course.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:14 pm
onyxelle wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there is practically zero fat and carbs in such a breakfast...it's loaded with protein.

I know of another breakfast that matches that description BPB

It does appear in your pictures that you have beautiful skin..... :wink:
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:31 pm
you'd betta believe it bub
0 Replies