Damaged main feed insulation inside breaker panel

blogan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 10:54 am
Hello all, Quick question. While helping out a neighbor with adding garage recepts I was drilling through the side of the breaker panel to make conduit connections. It was a weird angle and once the hole was finished I looked down to see that the drill had rubbed about a one inch section of the insulation off of one of the main feed wires. The damage is about six inches away from the lug where the wire connects to the panel. I very carefully and heavily wrapped the damaged area with electrical tape but wonder if this is acceptable. The insulation was damaged deeply enough to expose wire. Any help or answers on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:00 pm
Personally, I don't like using electrical tape for that purpose. I recommend getting an electrician to look at it.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:27 pm
@blogan,
Blo I'd say don't worry but if something goes wrong anyhow don't interpret this as permission to sue me
0 Replies

blogan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I guess the real question is, is there another product that could be used besides electrical tape to wrap the affected area, just to be on the safe side?
timur

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:47 pm
@blogan,
Yes, there is.

Heat-shrink tubing:
http://penforhire.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/2233-heat-shrink-wrapped.jpg
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 08:31 pm
@blogan,
The heat shrink tubing would work well although you would have to disconnect the conductor to install the tubing. If that's not an issue (panel really crowded etc) then that's probably the best. If you did not damage the copper and can get in to install tape, I would use rubber tape first then a few wraps of electrical tape.
The rubber tape will fuse together and provide more physical protection than the electrical tape alone.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:26 am
I'll pass on some advice from my electrician(who happens to be here replacing a ceiling fan)
Yes you can re tape to insulate but the tape has to be rated.
There is also the danger of the insurance company not covering damage if a fire started in the panel and subsequently the neighbor might come after you.
The consensus here is: chip in half to hire a licensed contractor and keep your good relationship with your neighbor.
0 Replies

kbeitz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 05:32 am
@blogan,
Liquid electrical tape applied when power is off...
0 Replies