The iced tea served in Indian restaurants is called.....?

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 04:34 pm
I had some sweet, very minty tea at an Indian restaurant and I'd like to make some at home. When I type that criteria into Google I get recipes for chai tea and I know that isn't what I'm after. It also didn't taste at all like the typical "sweet tea" you find in the American south.

Does anyone know what this type of tea is called? Do you have a recipe you can share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,855 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:08 pm
@boomerang,
Was it like a Moroccan mint tea? I think that's my favourite tea these days - whether hot or cold.

It's basically green tea, mint sprigs and some sugar. Brew it up and then decide if you're going to drink it hot or iced.

Could you tell if it was green or black tea based?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:47 pm
@boomerang,
In India mint is called Pudina and I was able to find a recipe and video for it using that word rather than mint.

Here's the recipe and technique.

http://www.perisspiceladle.com/2014/01/03/mint-and-cardamon-parsi-choi-or-chai-an-indian-tea/

And a video showing much the same thing.

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:53 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not usually a tea drinker so I don't have any idea about what kind of tea it was but it did have mint sprigs and a very strong mint flavor.

Is there a particular brand of tea that you use?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Pudina Chai is black tea based. I'm curious if that is it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Maybe that's it!

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:55 pm
@boomerang,
While I'm no tea expert (Bostonian who drank teas a second fave to coffee), I Googled this and perhaps this might help?

"Tisanes (herbal infusions) Tisanes are brews made using botanical ingredients other than tea, such as herbs, fruit, and flowers. Peppermint and chamomile are common examples of tisanes."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:57 pm
@boomerang,
I cheat when I'm at work and buy this

http://i1.pfstat.com/media/catalog/product/b/a/800x880/basilur-oriential-collection-moroccan-mint-loose-t-lvhyy3.jpg

it's a bit difficult for me to find but it's worth the effort. Sri Lankan tea made for the Russian market primarily. Very tasty - bright minty tea but the green tea base keeps it from being too grassy.
boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 07:00 am
@Ragman,
I think this is actual tea, tea. Just tarted up with tons of mint and sugar.
boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 07:02 am
@ehBeth,
That looks easy!

I have tons of fresh mint on hand right now and was trying to come up with a way to use it when I remembered the tea. It's amazing what one little mint plant can produce.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 07:42 am
@boomerang,
It really is easy - green tea, mint, sugar. I like it because it is such a bright taste. Really refreshing.

I love chai as well, but sometimes I don't need all the other spice tastes in my mouth - just want that clean, bright mint tea taste.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 08:03 am
@boomerang,
Got 'ya. I was just adding a bit of newly gained tea facts.
0 Replies