Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:02 pm
In repairing the stucco wall I've found spackling paste too runny but stucco patch too dry so that it lets go in chunks. I've had great luck first mixing the two but wondering if someone might know of a third product not requiring that tedious stir

Thanks all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Just add a little water to the consistency you want to work with. Also, I recommend the use of a patch before you cover it to make it resistant to further cracks.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Just add a little water to the consistency you want to work with.
I presume you mean adding to the stucco patch. But the mixing is still a nuisance while I doubt it will stick without the paste. But otherwise thanks Cis, I'll try it at next opportunity

Meanwhile hoping there might be a third product, a sorta sticky stucco, sota speak

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:40 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm just not sure why your stucco is runny.

In 2008, we had our whole house renovated, and the contractor recommended a drainage system for the excess water under the house to run into the street. That reduced the shrinkage and expansion of our foundation, and minimized the cracks in our walls by about 95%. It was a good investment.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'm just not sure why your stucco is runny.
Forgive me Cis if I wasn't clear, a constant failing of mine. It's the paste that's runny

Quote:
In 2008, we had our whole house renovated,…...a drainage system…….That reduced the shrinkage and expansion……. a good investment.
Thanks again Cis for that input, which I hope might prove valuable to others facing this sort of repair job. I my own case however, much of the cracking was caused where I had used a stucco without the paste
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 01:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Give this some consideration for your stucco repairs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5f9PIK-yH0&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0POdBRCq3arGgYD05pMBEiQAmiUeTmyXat1LmMR54lsYpy69CDWqel0gJOYacdkTE1mGnwgaAt0i8P8HAQ
dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 02:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you Cis for those links, which I shall access at the earliest opportunity

Much however as I do use Google I was only hoping we might achieve quick response from a participant with the answer at his fingertip. So far few takers but I suppose many of us instead hire a handyman
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
@dalehileman,
I still try to do small repairs by myself if it doesn't require using a ladder, but a step-stool is my limit. Mr. Green
dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 02:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Doubtless in this matter Cis you and I see eye to eye

At 83 I still occasionally use a full-size stepladder but sometimes I wonder whether it might be a suicidal precursor to the effect of Alz's
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 05:34 pm
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,1628270,00.html

Also

Lots of how to videos re stucco to be found here

http://www.stuccoplastering.com
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 06:15 pm
@dalehileman,
We even named our kitten, later big macho cat though neutered, Spackle.

I've never run across runny spackle; maybe the formula is different now.

I am guessing CI means some kind of taping as a patch first, but don't know.

I am guessing this is roof wall repair, and I don't know the pros and cons of all that.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:57 am
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But for those links, I shall access them
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:32 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
We even named our kitten, later big macho cat though neutered, Spackle.
Oss we're about to be adopted by two kittens. Perhaps we'll name one of them Spackle

Quote:
I've never run across runny spackle; maybe the formula is different now.
The DAP spackling paste available at our Friendly Local Home Depot called CrackSHOT is somewhat runny but even when applicable it lacks that rough texture characteristic of stucco so might not match the rest of the wall. However for patching stucco adheres much better when mixed with a smaller quantity of the paste

I was hoping that there might be a third product to avoid the need for mixing,, a stucco that sticks better

….the sticky stucco, sota speak

Quote:
I am guessing CI means some kind of taping as a patch first,….guessing this is roof wall repair, and I don't know the pros and cons of all that.
Yea Oss, nor do I. Just not cut out for home repair
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:33 am
@dalehileman,
spakle and sparkle would be nice. Mr. Green
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks again Cis, I'll consider that
0 Replies