What would you do ?

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:35 pm
I was talking with a buddy of mine about great Twilight Zone episodes, and one in particular stuck out for the moral question it posed. Here it is:

In front of you is a button. If you made a wish, than pressed the button, your wish would come true.
However, each time you pressed a button, it would kill someone
(it could be someone on the other side of the world, someone you know, or anyone in between...its completely and totally random).

Would you do it?
If so, how many times?

(please, no answers of "I wish no one will die when I press this button" answers. Thats just corny)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,777 • Replies: 23
No top replies

soserene

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:56 pm
What an interesting question, and probably nobody has answered because to say that you "would do it" ... could be considered immoral and nobody would admit to that, but to say that you wouldn't would probably mean that the person was inexperienced and couldn't actually say that they have been faced witha hard pressed critical situation. These kind of decisions, in my opinion, are in fact made everyday by most everyone, we just dont' realize it.

Say you have a platoon of military men fighting for their country, and a man is down in the middle of a crossfire. The leader, to divert the focus from his crew having thoughts of saving their crew member, shoots the injured man and reminds them of the task at hand, refocusing their attention on combat, and ultimately the welfare of their own lives. Whose to say if that's right or wrong?

Your child is in need of food and clothes and you have no money, so what do you do? You decide to rob the local convenience store, holding the clerk at gunpoint. Whose to say that you won't pull the trigger? Having never been in this position before, it's impossible to tell. So your wish would be for the health and welfare of your child while risking the life of yourself, and their ultimate welfare, as well as the lives of other and their families.

So I guess, it would all depend on your "wish."

If my child needed a heart transplant, would I push that button and make a wish? yes.

If I felt that I could free the world of illness by taking out a whole country, I'd probably push that button... Even if that meant taking the risk of losing my child with that new heart transplant, you have to consider the greater good.

Would I push that button to go to the bahamas? or for a million dollars, that coveted promotion? No...

Thanks for the great question... definitely inspires alot of thought Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:05 am
Quote:
In front of you is a button. If you made a wish, than pressed the button, your wish would come true.
However, each time you pressed a button, it would kill someone

Hell, I 'd be pushing that button all the time. Let's say I need a cold beer. All I have to do is push a button to get it? And some dude dies in, let's say Russia. Poof! See ya' Igor.... I'm thirsty.

Or I have a yearning for a candy bar. Poof! There goes another Eskimo.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:08 am
No quandry here. I absolutely would not feel tempted to push the button.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:10 am
Not even for a cold beer, Edgar?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:23 am
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/1568/ThirdManJoOrson.jpg

"Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money? Or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:24 am
Not even for a keg of it, gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:32 am
Edgar, I thought we could become friends, but you seem a bit too altruistic for my tastes.

I mean, if you're not willing to kill someone, what the hell kind of person are you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:35 am
And what the hell is Joe rambling on about?
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:49 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Hell, I 'd be pushing that button all the time. Let's say I need a cold beer. All I have to do is push a button to get it? And some dude dies in, let's say Russia. Poof! See ya' Igor.... I'm thirsty.
Or I have a yearning for a candy bar. Poof! There goes another Eskimo.

Now THAT was truly funny! Thanks for the laugh, gustav. I think the "there goes another Eskimo" line was what made it perfect...

Personally, I know I'm in la la land, but I'd wish for some crazy ass superpowers and spend the rest of my life working off the death I was responsible for by helping people.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 03:25 am
Suppose that every time you spend money on some luxury for yourself instead of giving the money to a charitable organization, someone poor person (probably overseas) dies who would otherwise have lived.

Would you still wish for that cold beer or candy bar knowing that a child would starve to death every time you pigged out on unneeded calories?

Somehow it is far more objectionable to kill someone by deliberately pushing a button than to allow them to die simply by failing to act to save them. But they are just as dead, either way.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 03:32 am
I don't think I have the wisdom to know where to stop on the slippery slope.

Push the button for a cure for cancer. Sure.

Push the buttton for a cheap, renewable and environmentally friendly form of energy. Sure.

But after these type of no-brainers, would I know when to stop?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:10 pm
I actually can't think of anything I'd want for me that I wouldn't be much happier about if I earned it myself rather than pushing a button. And as for curing cancer, as Jim said - I don't know if I'm qualified to make those kinds of wishes. Better ask a doctor.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:15 pm
Yeah. For example, overpopulation is a serious problem. I'd have to make some sort of corresponding wish before I made a cure for cancer wish; like universal affordable access to birth control for all women, maybe.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:37 pm
Did anyone see that X-Files where Mulder finds a genie and wishes for world peace and everyone in the world disappears?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 06:53 pm
Given the fact that we are all going to die, if were someone I didn't know, I would make a wish. Fine, I'm selfish!! I could not make that risk if it were one of my loved ones at risk, for my wish. So, I guess that I would have to say NO. No wish of mine is worth my loved ones. I can say that I wouldn't feel this guilt for a stranger and would answer differently if my loved ones were protected. That answer sucks, but is honest.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:20 am
Can I choose the person to be killed? No even so, I would not push the button. I do not believe in killing others. The only dilemma I could ever see in this case for me is if it was to save my child's life. Say for instance my child had an incurable disease, would I kill some one to save her life, now that is tough.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:24 am
Well, while on the subject of The Twilight Zone, I say screw the button. I'd rather be that kid who could wish people into the cornfield.
0 Replies

d bri

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:19 am
Crazyness
It's crazy to think of all the people who would indeed touch the botton for say a keg of beer, not knowing who they would kill in the process, but my question is would just a human being die or would the animals people are raising on farms or would the close pets people keep die as well?

I personally am a believer that if you do one thing something in your life will have to change so if I were to press a button I know someone I was close to would die in the process so I'm not going near the botton.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:03 pm
You might not want to push a button to kill someone, but would you push a button to save someone's life?
0 Replies