What is my voice categorized as?

jora

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:27 am
I have no idea whether I am a soprano, mezzo-soprano, or alto (are there any others? Cuz I wouldn't know). Are there any ways I could find out? I wouldn't trust just any choir teacher to give me their opinion. My sister has been in 3 schools in the last four years because we were moving a lot, and each one of her choir teachers catagorized her as something different (and it's not because her voice matured or anything, the first one had her as alto, the most recent one has her as a soprano). How do people find out which one they are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:27 am
From the small amount of research that I have done, it appears that it is quite common for voice teachers to categorize incorrectly. Here's an interesting twist:

http://www.pcipr.com/RSNA2000/20001129_contralto.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:08 am
Hmm...I suspect that singers with a wide range would be hard to classify. Diamanda Galas comes to mind.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:44 am
Choir teachers have been known to categorize based on which section needs filling in...
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
Hey a MISTie!!!!!!!

I am self-trained vocalist, as a man, I was a tenor. Now, as a woman, (I am TS) I don't know what I am. I never really cared, now I guess I will have to find out if I can at least fit into the alto category. I sure can't be a soprano! The way to find out is to figure out what you range is on the staff and then look up the classifications.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:45 pm
I found it.
0 Replies