Walter Hinteler

3  
Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:55 am
@panzade,
The Dragon of the Somme from the really interesting (because different) website Great War in Archeology - that's a poignant, highly interactive website exhibiting recent archeological discoveries from the Argonne region in eastern France, where French and German troops engaged in trench warfare during World War I.
(It's a resource about the experiences of WWI soldiers, and also demonstrates the role of archeology in recovering new insights about the past. While everything written is in English [and German and French], some videos are in French only.)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
panzade

1  
Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 02:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter. A fascinating site,
Walter Hinteler

1  
Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 03:35 am
@panzade,
There are hundred if not thousands of sites with sources and document about WWI - from local over regional to just special events.

Europeana 1914-1918, a project based at the University of Oxford, hosts a remarkable collection of primary documents relating to World War I, collected by individuals, libraries, and film archives across Europe.
Hundreds of letters, diaries, photographs, World War I films, official documents, and postcards are to be found there. Each resource type is further sorted by subject (Propaganda, Women, Aerial Warfare, etc.) or front (Italian Front, Home Front, Eastern Front, and Western Front), letting visitors explore the experiences and perspectives of European, American, Australian, and New Zealand soldiers.

Europeana 1914-1918 – untold stories & official histories of WW1
panzade

1  
Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 02:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Danke. Some great reading Walter

1  
Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 03:59 pm
@panzade,
I've been watching FREE WWII movies. Here are WWI movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJQNdJT2NI

Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 11:50 am
Operation War Diary, an ongoing collaborative project between the Imperial War Museum (IWM) and the British National Archives, provides rich information about the experiences of WWI soldiers by examining Unit War Diaries from British and Indian Troops.

The British National Archives has digitized these volumes - over 1.5 million pages, total - and now, in honor of the centenary of the war has collaborated with the IWM.

>diaries<

1  
Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 01:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I visited the Imperial War Museum many decades ago, but still remember many of its content. I even remember the cannon in front of the museum. For some reason, I also remember flags hanging from the ceiling. I'm not sure that's true or not.

33export

1  
Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 10:12 pm
Who can say where we would be today ifGavrilo Princip hadn't
been in town when Ferdinand came to visit in 1914 - and changed the world.
Rafan90

0  
Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:00 am
@33export,
The war began in any case regardless of whether Gavrilo Princip was in the city or not.
It was not the first attempted murder Ferdinand