You should add internet trolling.
I 'll leave that to U.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The US is, just like any other nation, under pressure from the forces
of globalisation, and football is the most global sport there is.
So it shouldn't surprise anyone that football is growing in the US...
Complete waste of futile time.
What DIFFERENCE does it make who wins??
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:10 pm
I am definitely in favor of kids taking up soccer. It is good exercise and has a lot of continual action.

I remember playing baseball and softball as a kid. I would be lucky to get six or seven balls hit to me, and running the bases would hardly be a workout.

I read recently that kids, whose skulls are not fully developed, should not be heading balls. I guess that helmets would be protective.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Maybe you have no interest in team sports yourself, but you have to admit the social benefits of people coming together. Club level gives a greater sense of social cohesion to towns and cities, and that encompasses the whole nation during international competitions.

Not to mention the economic benefits.

While you sit aloft in your ivory tower looking down at us lesser mortals, try to allow us such simple pleasures without sneering.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:15 pm
@Advocate,
I can see where shooting at the balls in flight
woud tend to improve eye n hand co-ordination.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:17 pm
@Advocate,
I advocate any sport for my children that costs s little as soccer does. Good shoes, shorts and a tee shirt. Good to go. Hackey sack - same moves, and a hacky sack. Beautiful.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:18 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
I read recently that kids, whose skulls are not fully developed, should not be heading balls. I guess that helmets would be protective.

You don't give little kids a leather football to play with. You give them smaller, lighter balls, like the ones used on the beach.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:21 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
I advocate any sport for my children that costs s little as soccer does.
Good shoes, shorts and a tee shirt. Good to go.
Hackey sack - same moves, and a hacky sack. Beautiful.
How about swimming??
U dont need the equipment that u mentioned (if u have enuf water).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Yay, France! (though Nigeria were really quite good). I was watching it (in my way, via reading the Guardian) until I had to leave for a couple of hours, now back and finding it ended at 2-0.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Advocate wrote:

You don't give little kids a leather football to play with. You give them smaller, lighter balls, like the ones used on the beach.

When I was a kid, footballs were great lumps of leather that weighed twice as much when wet.
I must have headed those balls a humdred times or more, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my brain.
Today, for instance, nursey let me work out my pocket money on a big, bright red abacus and I got it right after three goes, which is a record.

Where am I?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There is that drowning thing, shark thing, bio-hazard thing ...... I fish and I won't swim water that there is a limit to the fish they recommended safely eating. I won't fish or eat Lady Bird lake because there is a recommendation that one should eat less than four pounds of it per month because of Mercury from coal burned for power.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Not everyone has their own swimming pool Dave. Unless you live by the sea, a patch of green is a lot more accessible than a swimming pool, and usually doesn't charge an admission fee.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Not everyone has their own swimming pool Dave.
Unless you live by the sea, a patch of green is a lot more accessible
than a swimming pool, and usually doesn't charge an admission fee.
OK. I 'll c u when I return from Boston, in a week.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
I wasn't minding it. Took it as part and parcel of a sport I have slowly been learning about, not for me to judge about before I get to understand it, which I'm still just starting on.

I mean slowly: back in '73, I carried soccer balls back from Guatemala for my cousins' sons. One of my SAGs (smart ass group of girlfriends, a p.e. major at college, used to coach it, back when, but I'd never seen a match. Gradually got interested but effectively killed my tv around 2000 for a bunch of reasons, thus more of never watching it. Fbaezer's fantasy games have gotten my interest kicking, starting in 2006.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 02:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Some years ago I got all interested in Siena's Palio races (90 second race, 2 x a summer) with riders bareback on the horses, each horse representing a contrada of the city. If I remember, not all the contradas get a horse in a given race; I might remember there is a drawing so that there are only 13 horses. I'd read an article at the time saying this was a way to let off the steam of neighborhood antagonisms. And I remember something similar in Ivrea, where the 'combat' was orange hurling. My inference at the time was that southern California, with all its oranges, might be better off with orange hurling rather than gang warfare.
Too simple a concept, of course, but I liked it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, Nigeria played very well and dominated early. Then I guess the Nigerians got tired. Our lead striker, Benzema, was unfocused. In the end, we scored only one goal, with way too many miss.

Algeria will meet Germany now, and France meets the winner of that game in quarter finals. Guess I should root for the weaker team, therefore the Germans... ;-)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 03:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What DIFFERENCE does it make who wins??

I guess you're not competitive.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 03:59 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
A TV expert was a bit underwhelmed, saying that Germany will beat France.

First the Germans need to beat Algeria... Not so easy apparently.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 04:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Spoke to fast: Germany 1-0 Algeria early in the 30 mn extra time.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 04:29 pm
@Olivier5,
2:0