Football ("soccer") is a sign of U.S.A.’s moral decay

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I wonder if the US taps into its latino talent pool enough. Not many hispanic names in that squad... If it's true that many players in the US are latinos, then there something wrong with that picture.

Who wants to play for a racist country that has laws where cops check your citizenship.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:30 pm
@JTT,
I don't know why, JTT, but I think that if you were Mexican, Brazilian, Argentinian, Greek or Nigerian you'd say that the World Cup is a big smoke screen to keep the people alienated and prevent them from fighting for their rights. "The new Opium of the People" or something like that.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:54 pm
@fbaezer,
Whoa, talk about an inability to focus, fbaezer!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:34 pm
@Ragman,
It's something of a Catch-22. Until US soccer becomes a lot more popular, elite young American athletes are going to continue to be inclined towards football, baseball, basketball etc, and this, in turn, restrains the sport from being big enough to attract them.

A solo sport like tennis that operates internationally would only need one gifted American athlete beating the best of the world on a regular basis to raise it's profile here to the level that it would attract young kids, but soccer needs a whole team of very good athletes with a handful of the very best, to achieve such a goal.

It's possible of course, and particularly if teamwork rather than brilliant individual play is the foundation of the team's success as it builds momentum, but it's going to be tough. The popularity of the World Cup keeps growing in America and it was pretty substantial this time. I have to wonder though how many of the people who have been tuning in to watch the US team play, will take izzy's advice and pick a new favorite from the teams remaining and watch out the rest of the Cup? I'm sure a lot will, but certainly no where near 100%.

Until the US wins once, there's not much of a chance for the sport to make it truly big here, and the World Cup only comes around every four years.

In the meantime, none of the billions of fans worldwide are going to lose sleep waiting for us to join the party.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:21 pm
Why can't people just not watch things they don't enjoy? I've never understood the need to boycott things. If you don't like it, don't participate. But for fucks sake, quit trying to make everyone around also not enjoy it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As a genuine sports fan and a relative newcomer to Soccer, I will follow my newly found favorite. I have found certain teams far more exciting than I had imagined before. Perhaps some this has to do with my having a more lifelike experience with 46 in HDTV and great sound that has added to the impact. or maybe it's also the desire to be part of the world party that is going on. People sure look like they are having fun. I do now see the intricate foot-work and the defensive and offensive setups far better than I had before.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's a feeling you get used to.

Stop me if you've heard this one ...

What's the difference between a tea bag and the English National team?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
One is limp, spongy and full of flakes, and the other is a tea bag?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:19 am
@Lordyaswas,
I'm sure, a real Englishman doesn't know it ("teabag" is an inkhorn term, a neologism for puristic tea makers).

It has to do with how a tea bag stays in the kettle, mug, ... ... ... CUP, Milord Wink
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Being an Englishman who tried tea when he was five, spat it out and never tried the Devil's brew again, I not only don't know what an inkhorn is, but also cross myself and hold out garlic whenever someone is brewing tea within fifty feet.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
An inkhorn term is any foreign borrowing (or a word created from existing word roots by an English speaker) into English deemed to be unnecessary or overly pretentious.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, we just call someone using words like that a prat, nowadays.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 01:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well, and most use tea bags as well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 01:38 am
@Lordyaswas,
You need to report to a reeducation facility at 6am sharp. A van has been sent to pick you up.
https://d8kyhhndkm363.cloudfront.net/8/90182/monkey_t.bmp

Hail Monkey!
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 02:02 am
@izzythepush,
Get thee behind me......!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 04:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
the American national ADD does not accommodate sports that do not involve cyclic violence or the hope for same. When I watch soccer, Im immediately reminded of me out there rounding up sheep with my border collies.
Not much different, except I have a lot of balls to get into the net and they are a lot less intelligent than the objct of the soccer game.

If they only gave the players pikes or specially designed bats with which to defend themselves and shorten the field so that everyone on the field can be seen and no one is out of the field of view.

The net should be raised so that its a few feet off the ground.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:03 am
@farmerman,
You should stand against Sepp Blatter.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:31 am
@farmerman,
Call it 'Soccer-4-Mericans':

Make it a blood sport ...maybe use those pikes. They could score it like the way the charge you at a salad bar - by the ounce ... of blood shed. So the team with the highest total blood loss - wins. Where's a Soccer ball? we don't need no steenkin' Soccer ball! Hahaha....there'll be no flopping in THIS game!

If the player goes unconscious, his blood loss won't count in the total. They have to remain conscious. Not only is there no player replacement for injury or injury timeouts, but they leave the unconscious or dead bodies on the field.

The World Championship is played in Fargo ND (think shredder).
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:50 am
@Ragman,
Basically, this is game akin to human demolition derby. The goal and the final result is determined by the amount of players who are standing vertically without assistance at games end.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 08:22 am
@Ragman,
That's called Rollerball, they lost to the MCC.
0 Replies