Finishing a basement,..any creative ideas??

JerryR

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 09:49 am
I while back, I started finishing my basement,..I finished about a third of it,..then stopped. I am now ready to do the rest.

I'm good with the framing and dry-wall hanging,..and the finish work I'll talk about after the major construction is done.

I'd appreciate some suggestions as far as flooring, and ceilings.

I think that wall to wall carpeting is a best bet,.it'd warm the place up,....but is that a practical idea for a basement,..it's never flooded or gotten wet,..but it's still a basement,..will it mildew and get stinky???

The ceiling is low, maybe 7',..suspended tiles would make it too low (I think),..should I just do ceiling board and plaster, or maybe texture paint??

Thanks for your help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 67,531 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:12 am
Hmm, maybe a rug which you could take up and wash as needed? Don't forget the padding/nonskid backing. I know one thing about our basement is that it not only gets mildewy, it also gets dusty.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:15 am
JerryR - It is not wise to use any regular carpeting in areas that are below grade. You might want to look at some indoor/outdoor stuff. I haven't checked out what is available lately, but I know that there is stuff that doesn't just look like felt.

When we were in NY and HAD a basement (there are none in Florida) my husband put acoustic tile on the ceiling. That worked well.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:19 am
I'm not a big fan of Wall-to-wall in basements just because you have to scrap everything if mold or mildew does start.

Now.. If you have access.. If you could sandblast that floor to get it good and clean and then buy some cement stain I'd go that route. I'd stain it and then apply a clear sealer (which will keep the dust to a minimum and make it easier to clean) and then use area rugs which can be replaced without major renovations...
http://www.concretehomes.com/pressreleases/prdecor.htm

If getting sandblasting done isn't a possibility you could get some garage floor enamel paint and paint it. I don't like the finished look as much but.. It would at least look finished.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:01 pm
One of the first things I had to do after moving into my house was remove all of the wall to wall in the basement. nice and mildewy and stinky. Setanta and I spent a few hours this weekend cleaning up the centre space down there (how do cardboard boxes turn into cardboard villages?) and i'm almost ready to try painting. I've got a dozen cans of enamel floor paint of the oops variety and some paint tinting tubes. Trying to work up the painted-on-the-floor carpet pattern i want (i did that in my back bedroom and it looks good). I also bought a tin of chalkboard paint for a fun kiddies entertainment feature.

Throw rugs on top of the faux painted rug is an easy maintenance, stylin' look approach. Very Metropolitan magazine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:08 pm
I lived in my house for 27 years, and NEVER had any mildew problems with indoor/outdoor carpeting in the basement! We just threw it on the floor with no padding underneath. If you wanted padding, you would have to make sure that it was mildew proof. (I am not even sure that there is mildew proof padding. You would have to check.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:07 pm
Just as a side question for ehBeth since she's in the process of doing this right now - Did you consider the use of a cement waterproofing/sealer like "Dri-Lock" on the cement before painting?

This type of stuff is supposed to fill hairline cracks and prevent future water seepage but I'm just wondering if it is of benefit for this type of project. I've never looked into the pros/cons of using the dri-lock first and I'm just wondering if you has any input there. My gut reaction is that it sounds like a good idea but maybe it isn't...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:13 pm
fishin, the contractor who was helping me with some other projects suggested i use a thompson's waterseal product, both inside and out. I haven't had any noticeable problems with leakage in the basement since i moved in nearly 7 years ago, but there has been some efflorescence. The contractor said it would be a quick solution that i could manage myself - and he claims there's no downside to it.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:31 pm
Hi everyone!!

Thanks!!

I spoke to a carpet company, and was told that they treat the area to be carpeted with an "antimicrobial" spray,..then put down padding, and a short pile, indoor/outdoor carpet,...both anti mold/mildew. It also comes with a five year guarantee, so if it mildews in that time,..they'll refund / replace.
It was quite reasonable,..that would be my preference,..as cement is just too cold for my liking. I just put in a new heating system,.so I'd like to make the most of it.
I would also consider putting down a wood floor,..but wonder how the dampness will affect that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 02:23 pm
JerryR- I think that you would have a problem with wood.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:00 pm
JerryR - I think maybe one of those new laminate floors would be a better choice than wood. Wood is susceptible to bugs and is very sensitive to moisture fluxuations.

Have you given thought to a textured ceiling paint? You can really be quite creative with this stuff. I did a "quilt-like" irregular pattern on a cracked ceiling. It had a neat look that worked well with the old house and hid the cracks nicely. I have seen people mix other elements in the paint (hay, for instance) and slathered it on with a cement trowel. It is pretty versatile, and will not compromise your low ceiling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:03 pm
Isn't it wonderful how creative an old house forces you to be! That quilt-like pattern is a wonderful idea.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:24 pm
problems with carpeting in basements...well, sit a spell Ill tell you all about it Wink
Really though Jerry, if it doesnt get any water, I dont see a problem with it.
Also, whats the condition of the flooring now? Is it smooth and level? This could be a big determining factor on where to go from here. Mine is really really bad so, carpeting was the only answer. And that spray...iw, it smells for a bit but, its worth it.
If your floor is level and smooth though, I would go with the laminate wood flooring as youve said no water. If youd rather not do that, or wall to wall...then Id seal and paint.
Ceiling? How high is the ceiling? Thats a determining factor I think as well. If its a regular low ceiling...yep, a texture would do just fine as a base, and from there you can get as creative or not as you wish. you could get creative with the texture as well.
You could go back and do that whole tin ceiling thing too you know, although Im not how long its been since you did it before..you might not be up to it yet. Smile
How much time are you spending in this room? What kind of feeling do you want in this room? These things could make for a big difference on what to do with it.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:27 pm
So JerryR what did you decide and how is it coming along?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
Hi all!!
Thanks for the great suggestions!!

Joanne- I have put the project on hold til the summer, for a few reasons:
1. The weather has been atrocious, snow, rain,..no time for doing stuff like this! Twisted Evil
2. Work has been more than I can handle, at least 80hours a week for the past 6 weeks, looks like more to come! Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil
3. My parents 50th wedding anniversary is in May, have been "diverting funds" to cover the cost of the party, hall rental, invites, food and booze for 150 people etc. Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil Very Happy Laughing
4. My brain hurts Laughing Laughing

The good news:
The contractors working on my bosses house, gave me enough copper tiles to do the whole ceiling!!,..Will look really cool. Cool
They also gave me all of the millwork they removed from the house, so I have that too! Very Happy
For the floor, I think that I am going with a carpet, it'll just help warm the place up!!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:39 pm
Oh and Joanne,
If I didn't mention it before, thanks alot for helping me out by taking this forum. Like I mentioned before, work is mental Twisted Evil !!

Hugs to you!!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 08:41 pm
Right back at you sweetie.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:46 pm
ooohhhh..copper tiles on the ceiling...verra verra nice Jerry

sorry you have to put it on hold for a while but, you'll be able to have time to think it out more and find great stuff...who knows what else youll be able to scavenge by then Smile
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:16 pm
JerryR

One thing about basements (dry or wet), wherever:

For absolute best overall living conditions.....use a dehumidifier.

Especially in the warmer months. Even better: always.

Below ground environments have higher moisture levels, than above ground.

Dehumidifiers do a great job of keeping that moisture from getting into everything, and causing all kinds of (sometimes) irreversable problems.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:33 pm
Copper tiled ceiling? sounds fabulous!
I'll second KYN's comment re the dehumidifier. I've got mine cranking starting in late spring, right through air conditioning season into early fall. Keeps things very nice and crisp.
0 Replies