War movie reference to. DiMaggio hitting streak

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:29 pm
I remember seeing a movie probably made in the 1940s where a character makes many references to did DiMaggio get a hit today? He eventually dies saying that same line. Does anyone know what the name of that movie is?

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 01:20 pm
@Willgbirds,
Huh. I don't think it's Stage Door Canteen. Could it be The Best Years of Our Lives?

If you have any ideas at all, e. g. the focus (on women, on Anzio, whatever), the upshot (wedding, someone comes home, end of the war, etc.), that sort of thing, any of that would be helpful.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:00 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Huh. I don't think it's Stage Door Canteen. Could it be The Best Years of Our Lives?

No, nobody dies in those movies. Sounds like something William Bendix would say. It wouldn't be Lifeboat, by any chance?
jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:08 pm
Was it Battleground?
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/225973/Battleground-Movie-Clip-Texas-Leaguer.html
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

jespah wrote:

No, nobody dies in those movies. Sounds like something William Bendix would say. It wouldn't be Lifeboat, by any chance?

It could definitely be Lifeboat now that you mention it. I recently watched it (couple of months ago) and that could be why the scene noted in the OP post is on the tip of my mind.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 11:18 am
@jespah,
Great movie!
0 Replies