Bed bugs or horse hay chiggers ?

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:04 pm
My wife went to a Fl. resort last month and within a week of returning complains of bites/welts mostly on her torso, noticing them in the mornings. We have stripped the bedroom of rugs, cleaned her clothes in dressers, sprayed bedbug/flea spray throughout the drawers, around the bed , on the mattress, bombed the bedroom and living room twice, and spread diatomaceous earth throughout the bedroom on/under the bed and frame where it still sits in piles of powder a week later. We put the mattress in a microfiber anti-bedbug cover. I have yet to be bitten, sleeping in the same bed. I have O pos. and she has A neg. blood types. In tearing down and treating the bedroom twice now, I have yet to see any evidence of bugs/fleas or droppings. We are in a humid , buggy part of N. Ga. and she "lives" in the barn caring for two equine, handling bales of local hay several times a day. I am convinced the problem is NOT in the bedroom but in the barn. Her co-worker who stayed in the same hotel room has not had any problems, but she kept her suitcase on a hard floor while there and my wife did not. Any ideas before she forces me to steam clean the entire house ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 3
No top replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:48 pm
@Bob Hutcheson,
Probably bedbugs, are common on the south part of the states. I had a similar problem with my wife once on trip to Houston we stayed on a small hotel half way when returning home due to bad weather. Next morning she noticed multiple bites. I search the sheets and find the culprit. A typical bedbug. Go to a dermatologist, that is what we do. The bite reaction can be really troublesome to treat by your own.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:56 pm
Have a look round with a magnifying glass to try to identify the critters, then look them up on Wiki to see what's the best pesticide to zap them with.
Years ago when we had cats we were overun by fleas until we got them beat with anti-flea spray.
I remember once peeling off the bedsheets and being shocked to see that the seams of the mattress were alive with little white wriggling flea larvae that I'd been sleeping on.
A flea spray soon took care of them, followed by a good hoovering to get rid of the corpses..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 07:06 pm
@Bob Hutcheson,
Has she gone to a dermatologist yet?
0 Replies