Is anyone interested in a book discussion group?

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
Goodness - how interesting! My copy of "Middlesex" IS paperback - but I note it is a Bloomsbury publication, so it is an English edition - I am not wedded to "Middlesex" - I think we are just establishing a desire at this point -we will proceed to "what" id enough ar einterested.

At present, without looking properly, I sense a bit of a classic/modern split - and I wonder if we could accommodate by doing a classic one month and a more recent book the next....

Sounds equitable. But, I hope we don't settle on that as a rigid law.

Maybe the offerings could include classics and more recent choices. The majority may like the classics, or more recent offerings, more often than the choices in the other category.

Just a thought. Always go happily with the majority, once the majority has been established, in matters like this.

Enjoy watching the shaping up of the club.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 02:36 pm
Here is a link to a current NYT article about Middlesex and its author that folk may find interesting - I have emailed it to myself in case we ever do discuss that book, since it has things in it that might be interesting discussion starters - I was wondering if the author had been thinking about Tiresias!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/01/books/01EUGE.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 02:37 pm
Thanks Lash Goth!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:26 am
OK - here are the preferences so far - as I have garnered them.

Jespah - wants online books (gutenberg) therefore mostly classics, I guess. may not always be able to do it... what withone thing and another.

Fishin' - yes -but prolly won't be interested once books get decided on - likes US history and politics

Sozobe -will have trouble reading in time -likes modern

Piffka - prefers classics

Roger - maybe

D'Artagnan - maybe

Lash Goth - Interested - from time to time - happy with classics/modern alternation - but not as a totally rigid thing.

Hazlitt and Sozobe -interested in essay/short story group - I am unsure whether Hazlitt is interested in book group or not.

Sozobe interested in book group - prefer modern but will do classics

Craven - classics - come in for second month due to boot camp? Would need to choose classic to give him some time.

New Haven - likes mysteries and spy books

P&L - happy with classics and modern. not with hardbacks

Cobalt - classics and modern - not over 500 pages.

Pueo - yes - peferences not expressed yet.

Jjorge - yes, sometimes - suggesting "At Swim Two Boys".

Joanne Dorel

So - Methinks we may have a group! Can people say whether I have their preferences right?

If I do - I will formally propose we alternate between modern/classic in a monthly group. Next month's book to be chosen at the beginning of the discussion period for the previous month's book - so we have a month to read.

I will suggest starting with an easily available modern - and choosing a classic for the second time round - so hopefully Craven will be through boot-camp ans able to participate.

Can people let me know if they agree.

Can people nominate a book?

I would think we would understand, of course, that people's ability to participate will wax and wane.

I would also like to be open to new people joining at any time.

Book choices to be discussed and voted on after some discussion.

Can you guys let me know if you agree or not -and make suggestions if you do not.

I would suggest a three month trial of the agreed structure , with review at the end of that time.

Goddess bless this boat and all who sail in her!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:40 am
Craven - do you think you might be a goer for a classic discussion around 10th of March, if this thing goes ahead?

Iif so - any suggestions of books you would like to discuss that are included in the Gutenberg thingy? (I CANNOT read books on line - but I am weird.....)

I would be happy with Middlesex or Fury (Salman Rushdie - thin paperback, folks!) for a first discussion - but I am really not fussed - as long as it is a book with real "meat' - I don't mean not funny, by the way - just with some richness and depth to it.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:04 am
count me in, (yes deb, i actually read) even as a "listener" my tastes tend to run along different lines.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 06:13 am
Great Pueo! Are you happy with the proposal as it stands?

Through the magic of the edit button I have included you in the list.

~:> )
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:42 am
Add me to the list of those who may not have the time to finish in time. I just spent months reading a 600-pager, which normally would take a few weeks. What can I say? I've got new commitments now. :-D
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:12 am
I like the idea and would join in on some books but might pass on others. My nominee to begin would be, "At Swim Two Boys" by Jamie O'Neill reccomended by Kara some months ago.
Middlesex sounds familiar, I think I read a review on it but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

(jjorge is off to Amazon.com to read reviews on Middlesex)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:15 am
Jjorge -YAY! I have added you to the list!!!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:48 am
Oh I would be such a happy happy happy riveter if we could choose "Fury", seeing as how I'm already reading it and have a zillion discussion questions backed up and will SO want to discuss it when I'm done.

"Middlesex" would be good, too, though.

I've seen a few mentions of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" -- I can't remember if there was overlap with this group -- and that's one I read and really wanted to discuss and never did. I have it and could re-read it.

Those are my suggestions for a book, but I totally agree with the proposal as it stands.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:07 pm
deb,

I think that on March 10th I'll be in the middle of boot camp. I'll just join as soon as I am allowed to read again.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:36 pm
Deb! My request for entertaining and edifying translates to light classics? Does that mean the heavy classics are not entertaining? Just for the record, I was thinking the reading a Shakespearean play would be an entertaining classic.

But I'm willing to read whatever is chosen and probably will. In general, I don't care much for gimmicky books. The life of a hermaphrodite as told by someone who isn't one (I think) doesn't immediately engender thoughts of real life, but I can see how our dualistic sexuality could be explored that way. I'm willing to be proven wrong and I imagine, starting off this way will make the discussion more interesting. If we can only get this in hardback, then I'd say, let's wait on it. There must be another more financially accessible choice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 02:58 pm
"Fury" might make sense anyway as a first choice, Sozobe, since it is a slim volume.

Sorry Piffka - off to amend your notation! Blush....

OK Craven - what they got against you guys reading? .... but let it pass...'tis a strange world...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:02 pm
Folks - we need a definite book for first time.

Suggestions:

Salman Rushdie's "Fury"

"Middlesex" - (fading in the polls I would say)

"At Swim two Boys" - (is that Malachai McCourt?)

"A Heartbreaking Work of staggering Genius"

"Three Men in a Boat" jerome K. jerome - available online.

"Pi"

"Amsterdam" Ian McEwan

Other nominations please - so we can have a vote.

Of course, classics are again in the race as first book - any nominations from the Gutenberg site? I would suggest shortish for our first time....
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:03 pm
Is it to late for me to join in. Any of the books mentioned sound good to me. I agree a month would be good to read one book. And I love the idea of being able to ask question re what is going in during the read and getting good feed back.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:04 pm
Never too late JD!
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:08 pm
dlowan wrote:
Folks - we need a definite book for first time.

Suggestions:

Salman Rushdie's "Fury"

"Middlesex" - (fading in the polls I would say)

"At Swim two Boys" - (is that Malachai McCourt?)

"A Heartbreaking Work of staggering Genius"

Other nominations please - so we can have a vote.

I feign complete ignorance to all of the above. (I hate it when that happens.) Can anyone give a tiny synopsis of each, or should I get off my can and do the homework?

quote]
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:08 pm
Just to add a title..... from little k's thread, where the thought of a book discussion thread first emerged.....

"Three Men In A Boat", by Jerome K. Jerome

(This book is available on-line.)

Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 03:24 pm
Thanks Deb, I don't know how I missed this. Sorry to hear you had to go back to work, yikes did I just digress.
0 Replies