Is anyone interested in a book discussion group?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 05:37 pm
@Aldistar,
I'm less so now, but even when Dlowan started this thread, when I had access to whatever book, was reluctant. (Not that I've looked back and seen what I said.) And before that, when I was an english major, I noticed my own repulsion to academic analysis of, say, Wordsworth, and then punted. My next major for a bit was psychology, and that didn't last either. I then wanted more structure, when, if you know me, I'm not your best exponent of structure.
Here's a case where Soz and I are on opposite ends of the teeter totter. She's very good at analysis.

It's hard to explain why I don't want to go into analysis talks. Maybe I like to savor my take for a while, perhaps before I change that, but I want to control my savor time.

Books are personal to me, to start with. I think I became me through books making sense of my own observations or turning them upside down.
I've some distaste for analysis over feelings. Mixed with distaste for feelings over analysis.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
@Setanta,
My ex was very up on that book, House of Mirth - which will not matter to you but was an indicator I should perk up, he and the university liked it. It annoyed me. The truth is I couldn't read it.

It was one of the books I stopped with (Karenina drove me nuts and I tossed it)

Recently, I was reading a book a friend sent me, Joyce Carol Oates' Gravedigger's Daughter. The opening chapter has allllllllmost shut me down - not so much for the character, but Oates's writing. Repetitve stylization.

I get she is playing with how people think. I just have no patience for it, a flaw of my own.

A good friend of a good friend studied with her and just about adored her, he a male m.d.

Sigh. I'll give it a few more pages.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
But wait - this wasn't the book we are supposed to be discussing. I am part of the distraction, just by talking.

But that's my point -

I think I am inherently against a circumscribed group.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I see I finally answered on page 9, which gives an idea of my avoidance for years before that, since I'm a long time reader/poster and early a2k person.
So nice I was - hits own head with bunch of bananas.

To explain, I have all sorts of flim flams about people gathering for an evening about one book. It just does not attract me. I'd probably go homicidal in a room for no good reason except stress. Too many theater people in my past experience and I can't stand it.

I'd rather read - or hear - cons and pros and snark after reading the book on my own, if I did, which is why I like the what are you reading now thread - much more natural.
dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
So....my years of finely honed training in seeing the meaning behind the words leads me to believe that you'll not be wishing to partake of the book discussion, then?

Did I get that right?

If so, we've got it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:30 pm
@dlowan,
I also see meaning in words. You know that.

I'm rather antagonistic to elaborate dithering, what they call parsing.
Maybe it's because I'm reading some extremely annoying start of a book by Joyce Carol Oates - I'm apt to yell.

I'm not a fervent fan of dither arguments. Much less a room full of that.

I like peace when I read.

I presume I'm a loner except when I connect.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
But, you're right, I'm wrong for book discussion, not least that I won't have the books or will have read them earlier.

I will probably post once in a while if I have read the book.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Cool. I understand. I think perhaps you missed the irony in my last post. But some people get stuff from other people's take on a book.

I'm just puzzled about why you feel the need to keep saying over and over again on a book discussion thread that you hate book discussions? No biggie, but it's got a little old, speaking personally.

It's not compulsory to discuss a book here, as far as I know.

By all means keep telling us why you hate book discussions if you wish to, but I think we got it the first time.

Vive le difference! Or la....I don't discuss books in French. Cos I don't speak French.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:47 pm
@dlowan,
Over and over? Did I do that? Maybe, but last I saw, it was something like 1957.

If I did, do that over and over, I apologize. Not that I noticed when I did a run through. I suppose I may have missed pages.

Bad.

That would make me consistent. But I am not interested in nattering the thread, if I did that.
0 Replies