Is anyone interested in a book discussion group?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 07:57 pm
What would be the benefit of the user group approach?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:02 pm
Well, the main benefit (once everything with user groups is coded, which it isn't) would be that everyone involved in the user group would be a member of the book group. And, you'd have your own forum (it would look like any other forum, such as Books, but only the group would be able to see it and post in it). So, you'd know, if there were new posts in that forum, that they were only book group-related.

It's a concept that probably wouldn't work as well with this kind of group than with others, since privacy isn't an issue, and you can reach anyone who'd be interested by just posting a topic here in Books.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:08 pm
As I see it, there will be a problem with everyone actually doing the reading. What is likely to happen is that people will be jumping into the discussion expressing opinion based on what others have said. The problem is that reading a book is a big commitment.

As a solution we might read and discuss essays or short stories of which there are many on line. This way we could do a new one every week. They are short enough that they can be read two or three times if needed in order to know what we really think about the text before the discussion begins.

Another advantage would be that members of the group would not be stuck reading a long book that does not interest them. If we do a Gore Vidal essay, and someone hates Vidal, its not such a big commitment to read 25 pages knowing that next week maybe we'll do an Amy Tan short story. Variety is the spice of life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:18 pm
I like the short story idea, too... Can combine by doing an anthology (one of the "Best American" series, for example.)
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:25 pm
I would like to suggest a possible system of organization.

1) Everyone who is interested in leading a discussion could post his name on this thread.
2) Dlowan can take down those names.
3) Dlowan makes a list of dates, say every Monday for some given period of time. Say 15 weeks into the future.
4) Dlowan assigns a name to each date.
5) The person assigned to a given date will be responsible for finding an essay or short story of hiser choice and posting it for discussion one week prior to the time the discussion is to begin. That way, while one discussion is being carried on, members can be reading the following weeks piece.
6) It things go well, Dlowan can extend the calendar by another 5 weeks.
7) If someone cannot perform on the assigned date they can try to trade dates with another member, or otherwise ask someone to fill in.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:33 pm
Sozobe, using an anthology would be fine. There is "Best Short Stories of the Century" as edited by John Ubdike.

We could also use "The Art of the Personal Essay" edited by Philip Lopate.

These two books would provide a wide variety of material, both fiction and nonfiction to suit the varied tastes and interests of the group.

The problem with an anthology is that we could not post quotes, but we can always refer to page number and paragraph.

If we did use the anthologies, these or others, we need not be limited to that. If someone, for example wanted to post something from one of the on-line political journals, that would be okay too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:36 pm
Reading a book in a month is a big commitment for people interested in a book group?!

I would have thought that if people were interested - and the big question seems to be IF they are - then a book a month is a small thing.

It might very well be that people are interested in an essay/short story group - I might be myself - but I would see it as quite a separate thing.

Would it be ok to keep this thread as one canvassing a book group for now? - and either waiting to see whether there is enough interest for one, and moving onto essays/short stories if there is not - or starting another thread for the purpose of discussing that topic? I would suggest we give the book topic a week - since people are pretty busy this time of year and people may need time to reflect.

Again, Hazlitt - if people are not prepared to commit to reading the book voted on, then it won't work - and that should be fairly quickly determined.

As for people who had not read a book chiming in - sometimes they might have interesting things to say - sometimes not- and we might then need to tell 'em to go hump a.... I mean read a book!

Thanks for your suggestions beth - I will summarise the ideas - (which are so disparate at this point as to almost defy summary!) - tomorrow night my time, and see where we are.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:47 pm
Hazlitt--
Maybe you might want to organize a short-story group, as well.
I am interested in the Book group, and a short-story group.
PS-Love your avatar. Almost chose that one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:50 pm
I love classics, the military probably won't let me read in boot camp but as soon as I am able I'd be active in this group.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:55 pm
Yay! Classics eh, another vote for thingummybob com.

Hmm - what do the young consider classics?

Anything before 1980?

heehee
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:56 pm
Hazlitt's IS a great avatar, isn't it? Who is it, Hazlitt?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:01 am
any book that takes about eatin' coney is a classic read
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:05 am
Hmmmm - Sir Walter Scott's "Robin Hood" has a great deal about venison pie in it - but rabbit? I have it! Beatrix Potter's "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" - but 'tis a slim volume.....

Er... who does the "Rabbitt" series - 'tisn't Mailer or Roth....who IS it?

(Be careful what you wish for, coney-killers: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Rabbitt&userid=160NN5WZQO)

PS I remembered - 'tis Updike wrote the Rabbit series (however you spell it!). Last one was Rabbit redux, as I recall...
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:06 am
Craven--
Boot camp? Is that a euphemism?
Craven and boot camp.... It can't be from our LONG ago posts at that other realm.
Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:33 am
What I am most interested in is a group to discuss books that I find interesting enough to read anyway -- "Middlesex", for example. There are all kinds of things in "Fury" I'd like to discuss -- why was Solly thrown out of the pastry shop? Was he really speaking out loud? Why doesn't he obsess about that like everything else? It seems a strange thing to pass over so quickly; is this a weakness in Rushdie's writing or is there a payoff later? -- etc.

A book a month truly is a stretch for me these days, sad as that may be -- pre-kiddo, a book a week was more like it. However, it is something I'd like to do.

If contemporary fiction proves unpopular, I'm interested enough in the book club aspect to go for some classics. (Which I would not otherwise be particularly interested in.)

If a separate short-story discussion group develops, or if there is not enough interest in a book group, I would be interested in that.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 09:46 am
I'm interested in mysteries and spy stories. Razz
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 10:38 am
I picked that avatar from the provided selection. I have no idea who it is. I suppose it's just a picture.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:42 pm
Hi Deb....

I'd like to join in with a book discussion group. Due to my work schedule, a month-long discussion would be best for me. I read the Barnes&Noble review of "Middlesex", and it looks like a good book for a discussion group. My concern, as mentioned above, is that it is not out in paperback yet. Personally, I never buy new hardbacks. I was drawn to the review of the audio version. My best 'reading' time is driving back and forth to the office, during which time I listen to books on CD's. My library has a great selection of books on CD's. I'm hoping that they have purchased the audio version of "Middlesex". Also, the hardback might be available at Half-Price Books, because it's been out for about four months.

I also like the idea a discussion group focused on the classics. Perhaps the book discussion group could alternate months, between current fiction and the classics. This would give everyone two months' advance notice for the next book?

Very Happy
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:54 pm
I like the idea of an online book discussion, as P & L says - alternate fiction with a classic and attempt to find books that are available in paperback and / or in libraries. We can use the "poll" feature of the forum posts to vote on the suggestions, and our suggestions can be sought regularly, say on the 20th of each month. If we start with the first two, then when we seek more books, it will keep us way ahead in the procurement needed!

I would go with any book under 500 pages, whether hardback or paperback, lol!

cobalt (who just finished three 'lightwieght books'...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:29 pm
Goodness - how interesting! My copy of "Middlesex" IS paperback - but I note it is a Bloomsbury publication, so it is an English edition - I am not wedded to "Middlesex" - I think we are just establishing a desire at this point -we will proceed to "what" id enough ar einterested.

At present, without looking properly, I sense a bit of a classic/modern split - and I wonder if we could accommodate by doing a classic one month and a more recent book the next....
0 Replies