Is anyone interested in a book discussion group?

Piffka

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:27 pm
Wow. You're going to unveil your sleeve? Watch it or all the guys will be trying to read this book!

I am, by the way, enjoying this book.. haven't proceeded too far as I keep falling asleep... BUT it is not the book's fault, just me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
That looks great, dlowan, and much along the lines of what I was thinking. I've got a few broad themes in mind, and think I'll start out with one of those, with some quotes, and go from there.

Yay. Looking forward to it. Very Happy

(Piffka, ya snuck in there. Hee hee.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:48 am
New A2K Book Club Discussion
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:11 pm
Er, umm, I love those wordy little items, books. read them at every available opportunity. Fiction, non, don't care. Point me to something new, and I love you. Follow you home, promise not to scoop the last bit out of the Haagen Daz... Me be Beedlesquoink, Squeedleboink, HCE. What books you have in mind? Let's throw the discuss around...

Last read by me: Perdido Street Station, China Meiville. Good stuff. Young writer shows off enormous potential chops.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:22 pm
faints - THUD - Beedlesquoink is here........
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:25 pm
"One City, One Book" – what 5 cities chose to read
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2011/0915/One-City-One-Book-what-5-cities-chose-to-read/Seattle-Little-Bee-by-Chris-Cleave

Then I started wondering if perhaps a book club has been done at a2k. Looked around and found the old book discussion thread of Fury and despite Sozobe's warning in one of the threads, I think we can pull it off.

Keeping parameters simple.

An English language work of fiction or nonfiction of say less then or equal to 350 pages-ish?
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 01:29 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm up.

cant think of a book!
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 05:54 am
@dlowan,
I'm possibly up in a very tentative, depends on the book and how much time I have and no WAY am I going to make any suggestions way. (I think part of why I'm so mad at Rushdie for "Fury" is because he went and had to write a terrible book just when I was enthusiastically recommending him as an awesome writer! Argh. That book was so bad. Actually I blame Padma. I couldn't watch Top Chef without glaring at her, for a while. [I got over it.] But I digress.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:21 am
Has anyone read The Indian Clerk? I just finished it a few days ago. If anyone has read it recently, i'd be interested in your views.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 09:54 am
How about Lev Grossman's The Magicians?
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:13 am
@tsarstepan,
nice, i've already read and listened to it (and am about to start listening again before listening to the sequel)
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:37 am
@Setanta,
By whom?
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:39 am
@djjd62,
I have read The Magicians, and have the sequel....which is my first foray into fantasy for lo these many decades....although I suppose the appeal is the non-fantasy tone of the whole thing.

Tsar.....lead us with wisdom and insight.

I kept reading it all, which surprised me. I guess the irony and the damn Narnia stuff got me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:03 am
@dlowan,
It's by David Leavitt. It's about Ramanujan, the brilliant, natural mathmatical genius in Madras who was brought to Cambridge by G. H. Hardy, the English mathmatical genius. The novel is told as a first person narrative by Hardy. Although it has some gratuitous homo-eroticism, i quite enjoyed it.
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:38 am
@Setanta,
Just downloaded to my Kindle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:39 am
I think you'll enjoy it.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:24 pm
I would join a book discussion here and I am interested in reading pretty much everything. Is The Magician going to be the first book then? when do we need to have it completed?
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:49 pm
@Aldistar,
Well, two of us have read it, and you're happy to discuss it....why not?

Would we like to do The Indian Clerk next?
Aldistar

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 05:22 pm
@dlowan,
Great! I will hit the library on Monday and pick it up.
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 05:35 pm
Having already read The Indian Clerk, i'm now reading Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth. I've not ever read anything by Miss Wharton.