The philosophy of cracked pots

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:36 am
cracked pots

----- A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.

At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the
cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made.

But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After 2 years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, and because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side?
That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back,
you've watered them.

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house"

Moral: Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots

But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

You've just got to take each person for what they are, and look for the good in them.

Blessings to all my crackpot friends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,039 • Replies: 8
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:14 am
Thanks, C.I., that was wonderful. Smile Razz Razz Razz Razz
It has been my policy for a long time now to put up with the shortcomings of people I like--people who have something to offer: kindness, sincereity, integrity, curiosity, intelligence, empathy, talent, whatever. They can also have some annoying qualities which I put up with, SO LONG AS THEY PUT UP WITH MINE! We should, on both sides, water the flowers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:34 am
JLN, I've been fortunate in my life; I know I have many flaws, but they have overlooked them, and remained my friend for many decades. My oldest friend is a guy I met while serving with the US Air Force in Morocco back in the late fifties. We have exchanged christmas cards every year which gives us an opportunity to bring each other's life up to date. One of my closest friend passed away two years ago, but we've known each other for 44 years. I've been fortunate for most of my life, because I have friends all around the globe.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:12 pm
<schniff> I needed that today c.i.

It reminds me of a tale I read from Chuang Tzu. I don't have the text handy, so I will just briefly paraphrase:

A Confucian and a Taoist are walking together and they come across an old, gnarled tree. The Confucian says "This tree is unfit for anything. Look at the knots, the tough wood, no practical construction can be made from this."

The Taoist says "Well, it's a sunny day, and the tree has beautiful cooling leaves. I will have a nap here, and leave myself to it's care."
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:46 pm
Yes, we are all unique little snowflakes. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:01 pm
Ah, C.I. That was so apt for me today. I was wondering about the origin of the blue bird, and why it symbolized happiness. I still don't know, because it seems a bit paradoxical to me..How can a bird sing the blues and still be happy? Smile

Cav, shall we sing? Your little paraphrase reminded me of Martin Buber. Crying or Very sad

Hey, rufio. We don't have snowflakes here, but I'll gladly give you a north east wind that is a philosophy unto itself.

JL, Anyone who can sketch a self portrait in charcoal, and still have both ears, is a credit to the human race. 4.00 Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:04 pm
Ahh, Martin Buber, Letty, truly Jung at heart. Perhaps a song is in order:

Collective consciousness
is just fancy talk for 'us'
Yer only as Jung as you wanna be...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:14 pm
For Cav:

Fairy tales can come true,