Energy

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:16 pm
Why is it that energy can't be created?

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:39 pm
@Otis Jutonu,
This is one of the physical laws: Energy can neither be created or destroyed. It can only change form.

Refer to the info in this hyperlink. You can see what Physics experts think and why you need to research your homework better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

"In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system cannot change—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but can change form, for instance chemical energy can be converted to kinetic energy in the explosion of a stick of dynamite.

A consequence of the law of conservation of energy is that a perpetual motion machine of the first kind cannot exist. That is to say, no system without an external energy supply can deliver an unlimited amount of energy to its surroundings."
0 Replies

Nark Mobble

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:10 pm
@Otis Jutonu,
Because you have no faith. Learn to believe.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:58 pm
@Otis Jutonu,
Quote:
Why is it that energy can't be created?
I suppose, Otis, religion aside, it's because nothing can come from nothing

Why that should be I don't know but it sounds reasonable

As to where the Universe came from, I'd guess there's something logically wrong with the idea of a preceding nothingness, that there always was a Universe in one form or another

Again purely intuitive, scientifically worthless, but suggestively stimulating
mark noble

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 06:06 am
@dalehileman,
The assumption that this universe (ours) is a sole event is not only ridiculous, but why physics has reached a dead end.
We can only percieve from within the confines of our relative fishbowl, I agree, but every inner demands an outer and vice versa.
Russian dolls.....
mark noble

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 06:15 am
@Otis Jutonu,
Because energy is everything.
Everything is energy.
It can be moulded, shaped, absorbed, displaced, transferred, etc, but never created or destroyed - because NOTHING doesn't exist - So where would it go? And from where would it come?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:02 pm
@mark noble,
Yea Mark, another way of saying that, nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else; while some facets of the Universe we can't understand, patly because our language is excessively dualistic and partly because we don't yet know it all, if indeed we ever will
mark noble

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 05:57 am
@dalehileman,
As for 'nothing is entirely everything' - That's ambiguous to me dale:) I will assume you mean 'no thing is entirely everything' (Correct me, if wrong). And yes - Each thing is but the sum of its parts. - Even 'everything' equates to this.
There is no thing in any universe that is beyond understanding, but many things unworthy of it.
mark noble

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 07:17 am
@mark noble,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9fC3flXY5g
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 11:04 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
As for 'nothing is entirely everything' - That's ambiguous to me dale:)
Somewhat to me too because nothing is entirely clear to anyone

Quote:
I will assume you mean 'no thing is entirely everything' (Correct me, if wrong).
Not what I meant Mark but partly true, I suppose. What I mean to do is counter the sort of dualism that for instance has God on one hand and the Universe on the other

..concrete on one, abstract on t'other

Quote:
And yes - Each thing is but the sum of its parts. - Even 'everything' equates to this.
Can 't be entirely true, some of its parts being abstract or at least partly so

Quote:
There is no thing in any universe that is beyond understanding,
Intuitively I'd disagree. With advances in language, logic, etc, we can get closer and closer but at the same time making the whole shebang proportionally more complex and therefore less accessible

…while of course my own assertions can't be entirely true; if indeed anything can
contrex

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 02:52 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
our language is excessively dualistic

Is it? "De Sitter space can be defined as a submanifold of a Minkowski space of one higher dimension. Take Minkowski space R1,n with the standard metric:

ds^2 = -dx_0^2 + \sum_{i=1}^n dx_i^2.

De Sitter space is the submanifold described by the hyperboloid of one sheet

-x_0^2 + \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 = \alpha^2

where \alpha is some positive constant with dimensions of length. The metric on de Sitter space is the metric induced from the ambient Minkowski metric. The induced metric is nondegenerate and has Lorentzian signature. (Note that if one replaces \alpha^2 with -\alpha^2 in the above definition, one obtains a hyperboloid of two sheets. The induced metric in this case is positive-definite, and each sheet is a copy of hyperbolic n-space.)

De Sitter space can also be defined as the quotient O(1,n)/O(1,n−1) of two indefinite orthogonal groups, which shows that it is a non-Riemannian symmetric space.

Topologically, de Sitter space is R × Sn−1 (so that if n ≥ 3 then de Sitter space is simply connected)."
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 10:34 am
@contrex,
Thanks Con for that piece on DeSitter space, 'way beyond your Typical Clod (me)

I'd point out though, however useful connecting events and predicting the future, math is also dualistic, in the sense that it doesn't really "exist" except in our heads
contrex

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 11:48 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
math is also dualistic, in the sense that it doesn't really "exist" except in our heads

Some theories of mathematics hold that view; others do not.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 06:01 pm
@dalehileman,
I agree on math (measurement) being abstract (Imaginary), but it is valuable in regulating physical order.
As a tool, it allows recognition and mergence amidst chaos.
Now I'm wondering whether to indulge into the potential for abstract-physicality/physical-abstraction having any qualitive or quantitive bearing on 'reality'.

Cheers Dale.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 10:52 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Quote:
I will assume you mean 'no thing is entirely everything' (Correct me, if wrong).
Oops Mark. I'm not sure what it might mean when expressed that way but what I thought I had said was ""Nothing is entirely anything…."

Quote:
I agree on math (measurement) being abstract (Imaginary), but it is valuable in regulating physical order….
Well put Mark. Applies not to just math but to speech and its attempts at communication where dualism is practical, indeed valuable, but carried to its extreme limits our ability to reason in further depth

Quote:
Now I'm wondering whether to indulge into the potential for abstract-physicality/physical-abstraction having any qualitative or quantitive bearing on 'reality'.
Mar you might have to clarify this assertion in language suitable to the Average Clod (me)

Cheers Dale.
Animation and good cheer, Mark
mark noble

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 06:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi Dale.
Clarification: To further investigate/explore why the 'imagined', being formed by firing neurons (displacement of physical energy), is accepted, without further ado, as being non-physical.
If we label an idea as 'existing/something' then it must surely exist somewhere.
"Everything" exists "Somewhere"...?

Hmmm...
Smile
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:54 am
@mark noble,
Mark yes I see what you mean--maybe. But my reaction is that the notion of physical v non- is one of those dualistic notions that only limit further exploration, like the immaterial God at one hand with physical objects of the Universe at the other

Things just happen; and they happen the way they do because they can't happen any other way--such an exception would entail a paradox or contradiction
mark noble

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
What if everything is paradoxical?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:40 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
…...every inner demands an outer……..
Only Mark because it has been so labeled. In fact there's no reason to assume an "outer," no evidence for it whatever. There's a Universe yes, but it's not inside anything since there simply is no outside

That doesn't mean however that you shouldn't speculate. as with "What if everything is paradoxical?" However, we'd need at least one example or two
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:09 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
What if everything is paradoxical?
Well yes, in a sense the conventional theories such as creation out of nothingness, a God existing outside of time and matter, etc might be called paradoxical. But there's neither paradox nor contradiction in the notion that the Universe exists because it has to and that it has no beginning nor end

However given forever and/or an infinite amount of raw material, the notion of simultaneous identical galaxies is so troubling as to be called paradoxical